Accrington Stanley chairman's thoughts on the EFL Trophy

Joe Jones

Some interesting comments from Accrington Stanley chairman Andy Holt about the EFL Trophy vote, where he talks of a "master and servant" relationship between the Premier League and the EFL.

I'm just going to say this, if Accrington Stanley don't support the EFL Cup than that sends a pretty big signal to the clubs that jumped in bed with the 20k offering.

I do agree with his view in the pictures mind, I hope he and others stand up to this B team crap. They're not wanted by the fans, it doesn't help the English game - it hinders our own development and it takes away the special day for lower tier clubs that the competition was originally designed for. It's very hard for anyone to argue with the above, there's just no sense beside the money!

The Premier League basically have the EFL over a barrel on this one with the threat of withdrawing the funding they give and it will only be a matter of time before B teams enter the Football league. The clubs say it will never happen, but they have proved that they have a price, the PL will just have to reach it.

They threatened to remove funding before to get their Elite Player Performance Plan passed and they can now use the funding threat whenever they like, just to get what they want.

If I was being cynical i would say Notts (or AH) didn't vote the changes through for the chance of the win bonus, but because they didn't want to upset the applecart and reduce their chances of getting PL players on loan. A few grand win bonus is a drop in the ocean for clubs that pay their players tens, and hundreds of thousands of pounds a week. I think Notts and the EFL are giving the PL teams 'reserves' 'B teams' 'Academies' match time on the cheap.

Archived