Don Masson is Notts through and through

Chris

I could sit for hours listening to my grandfather re-tell stories of watching Don Masson, it might sound draft but the way he was spoken of always reminded me of 'Roy of the Rovers'.

A man that lit up a ground with singing and amazed fans with his ability on the ball.

Share your tales and memories of the Notts legend Don Masson...

I must have seen countless players in 46 years of supporting Notts, but if anyone asked me to name the best I've seen in the black and white stripes my reply would instantly be Don Masson.  I've never seen anyone who could pick a pass like The Don.  If they had logged 'assists' back in those days Masson would be off the scale.  He was always highlighted as our dangerman and often marked by two or three players but still had the knack in the most crowded midfield to control the ball, make a yard of space and deliver a killer 40 yard pass.  We were lucky to keep him as long as we did, as his success at the top level with QPR and Scotland (in a World Cup) proved.  One of the few who can stand alongside the likes of Jimmy and Jack as a true Notts legend.

I only just remember the Don playing for Notts and this was in his second spell, but he did have so much time on the ball, even though we were playing top flight football! The are the odd bits of him playing for Notts around on Youtube still and they are well worth the watch. We haven't had anyone as skillful play for us since, probably the nearest would be Drapes but he was a different type of player.

Archived