10 reasons why Notts County should have a fruitful 2017/18 season

As per the article published earlier today, here are our 10 reasons why we at Pride of Nottingham feel Notts County could have a good 2017/18 season:

1.    Revamping training facilities and securing a new location

2.    The re-capture of Jon Stead and Shola Ameobi

3.    Signing players on a transfer fee

4.    Academy focus and emphasis on producing good talent

5.    Local derbies

6.    Forging stronger networking opportunities (even with our neighbours)

7.    Open communication from the board and chairman

8.    Kevin Nolan – A young hungry manager who seeks success not just for himself

9    9.     Ensuring the good atmosphere in the stands continues and never letting it degenerate to 2014-16 levels

10.    Players that want to play and work hard for the club

Do you agree with these points? Do you think there are more reasons as to why Notts are well poised to have a decent season? Let us know

yeah, i would say that we need to think more positive because already you would think we are doomed.

the signings seem good, just need to see them mix in pre season but i would agree that the training is very important. along with working with other clubs and how notts goes about promoting themselves. the rebuilding after recent years wont be fast, the trew tried rushing things and as we have seen you have to pay the piper eventually.

The training facilities will fall hand in hand with players wanting to be here, if they are of Championship quality and we continue to improve in other departments it should help in future years. I would also agree with Liam regarding quick fixes.

Ray Trew did make money available to sign players but the ones he put his own opinion behind tended to be the wrong type we needed. Izale McLeod being one!

You have to ensure that the decisions made will be mostly correct and so far the club has done well under Alan Hardy.

1 hour ago, 4everapie said:

11. Good Stewards ( one is exceptional)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can we tell this to Portsmouth fans? I am not sure they would believe us and I would hope more watch what people do in the crowd (rather than watching the game) this season.

Interesting article posted, I would also agree with it but at Notts things a never that simple. Good read mind!

CliftonMagpie
If your referering to the morons who were kicking out at the Pompey fans. They weren't the club's stewards but staff hired for the day from a private security firm, which was proved after.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Interesting list, but I'm afraid only number 8 gives me any real cause for optimism - "Kevin Nolan – A young hungry manager who seeks success not just for himself".

We were at rock bottom when he took charge, but he managed to get an apparent bunch of wasters to resemble a football team.  He's set himself pretty high standards, and the squad doesn't seem to be any stronger than last season, but if he can get them all to perform to their best we could have a decent season.

@Elite_pie Agree with Elite's sense of clarity.

I am also concerned that the release of Jordan Richards indicates we may not have the financial resources to match youth talent for the time gap between graduating from the Youth Team to being League 2 ready. 

Point 2 : Need to be careful of the lessons of Jason Lee. That is to say, a player does well, earns a new contract but aged legs catch up soon into the new season.

Point 3 : I am worried that the continued pursuit of Noble does suggest we have no plan B. It does seriously question our recruitment resources / advice? I for one, stood up at the time, to question the sanity of paying money for McLeod. 

I think @Elite_pie and @Piethagoram have expressed very valid points.

Yet Jason Lee was well on the road of declining before even arriving at Notts, which I am not sure we will get from Jon Stead or Shola Ameobi. They're no spring chickens but have been consistent whilst they wore a Notts shirt.

On 06/07/2017 at 07:25, Piethagoram said:

Question the sanity of paying money for McLeod. 

I was never convinced either, yet I felt he proved himself right - only to prove me right in the end. He was a player that could have worked but we never played to his strength, I'm not making excuses - he's well known for not being the player who can motivate himself or do the running we required. He's a striker who could score at the right time and with little to no involvement otherwise.

Yet it did turn out to be money well wasted.

Recruitment this term could largely be affected by the mistakes of the previous regime. We probably aren't seen as a safe option yet by players, whilst Alan Hardy has us floating - it will take Kevin Nolan much more effort into turning things around. Slow progress really, we can't rush the fixes - they must be long term but I am confident we will.

It's worth noting that Jason Lee scored 17 goals in his first season for us, that's more than Stead, even if he was more one-dimensional. And if Ameobi and Stead's powers weren't on the wane they wouldn't be playing for us in the first place! I'm hopeful they'll both pick up where they left off but we shouldn't be too reliant on older players. Forte is still around and I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign a young loanee for up front.

Archived