Your favourite memories of Martin Allen?

Chris

his press conferences was class! i can remember him joking about an opposition manager turning up to meadow lane and complaining that his players had not been greeted etc. it was funny to hear ma joke about what was expected and he made a comment about getting a red carpet out for the notts players to walk on. :lol:

I can remember speaking to him after he left us, he joked about his time as being one of his favourite spells in charge of a football team but spoke of never returning due to the way he felt treated during his dismissal.

There was also the time he ran after his own dog around Meadow Lane which was crazy.

Benny Hill would have laughed!!

Quite a lot really but a couple for the Forest game come to mind. One where he wanted the players to walk across Trent bridge to 'go to war' with them before that 3-3 cup match & also where he went over to the Notts fans in the ground and grabbed a young lad out & said he could lead the team out as mascot!!!

My favourite memory of Mad Dog actually came long after he'd left Notts. It was on the opening day of the 2014/15 season, and we had stopped at a motorway services on the way back from watching Notts draw 1-1 at Preston North End. 

Martin Allen was back in charge of Barnet in the then Conference, and they had played away to Chester. 

Four if us were sat on some picnic benches outside having some food, and we saw the Barnet team bus pull up. But we didn't remember who their manager was until we saw the unmistakable figure of the slightly tubby chap in his v neck sweater get off the coach. 

We didnt go to speak to him, but he came and spoke to us instead. He spotted our black & white shirts, and headed our way and said "ey Notts County, how'd you get on lads?"

He then spent a good 10-15 minutes happily chatting to us about his memories of his time at Notts, and quite honestly he didn't have a bad word to say about the club. Although we probably never will know the real reasons behind his sacking, its pretty common knowledge that it was for non footballing reasons. But he never displayed any bitterness, and was an absolute gent. He didn't have to come and chat to us, but he made the effort without us asking, and was completely down to earth and friendly.

For that meeting alone I'll always have a lot of respect for him. I was a big fan of his when he was here, and I don't think there's been a manager since who had such a great bond with the fans. 

Under him, it was above all else good fun while it lasted. 

I can remember seeing him outside the ground at Corby Town when Notts went there in pre season to officially open it. He was taking his dog Monty for a walk before the game as he had to leave him in the car during the game!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2017 at 13:09, Who r ya?? You Pies!! said:

I really liked him , a great character , funny , a good manager , the things I've read about what he wanted to do when we played forest in the cup made me laugh, filled me with pride , in equal measure , very likable guy .

Completely different in the dressing room though!

Archived