EFL to shut summer transfer window before season start?

Joe Jones

The Premier League transfer window has been in the news this week (well, it's always in the news, but the behind the scenes stuff, I mean) as there are going to be discussions over whether clubs in the top flight should be forbidden from buying players once the first game of the season has got underway.

Now, the EFL is also looking to discuss a similar concept with its clubs.

A spokesman said: "The EFL Board and its clubs have previously expressed the opinion that closing the summer transfer window in advance of the season commencing would be an improvement on the current position.

"On this basis we will be tabling the matter for discussion with clubs in September.

"It will be important that all the consequences of such a decision are fully considered, as the requirements of our clubs are different to those in Europe's top flight leagues."

What do you think? Should clubs in the EFL be forbidden from buying new players once the season is underway? Or should it only be done by the Premier League,  who have the resources to cope with it? Let PON know.

I think it would actually make it more competitive, though some teams may rush which would be negative.

I'm not really in favour of changing things which worked, and it should probably go to the vote and trialled before it becomes the standard moving forward. Smaller clubs may be punished due to players taking time to think, whereas bigger club would naturally have nothing to fear (a-side from red tape). See how it goes really, nothing can be much worse than the awful other suggestions. 

12 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

Alternatively, every club could be banned from signing players except Notts County. That's a compromise that is more to my taste.

How about every club has to wait longer before signing players, and yet Notts can start as per usual at the normal point? We still wouldn't sign the star players most likely but recruitment does seem more consistent these days.

Archived