EFL chief executive on transfer window and League Cup China draw

Joe Jones

EFL chief exec Shaun Harvey gave an interview yesterday in which he spoke of talks on the proposed early summer transfer window closure being at an advanced stage and - remarkably - defended the decision to hold the EFL Cup third-round draw in China at 11:15am local time (4:15am our time).

On the window, he said: 'Generally I think the mood is that it will be an improvement. There are some significant concerns at some Premier League clubs around European competitions - the teams they are playing against being able to sign players after them. And from the EFL's perspective we have some real practical challenges to get over as well. Traditionally we start the season at different dates, so which start of the season are we going to use? Some of our clubs also survive on transfer income - selling players is an absolutely critical part of their business plan. There are a number of checks and balances we need to take to make sure this decision doesn't lead to some unintended consequences.'

And on the cup, he said: 'The EFL got their first major overseas sponsor in Carabao. This was their brand launch in China, which is a key market for them. In fairness, the draw usually takes place immediately after the last game of the round so it is made somewhere between 10:20pm and 11pm at night - the majority of people at that stage have already gone to bed.

'Picking 4:15am, the net result for the vast majority of people was the same - to wake up and find the result of the draw. We have an ambition to build the brand of the EFL and our cup competitions and this was a part of it. Yes it was not popular with a few but the benefits should be felt by the majority going forward.'

Thoughts on his words?

More Ex Players and fans should get more involved with the EFL, FA and Premier League.

There's two many money people within position changing the game in order to maximise the amount of money in the game, however little falls to the lowest two leagues and this makes you wonder if any of it makes sense. I already have my suspicion that deals like the one above is only beneficial to people who require pay days, but really there's no justification to any of it.

The EFL is a brand, it always has been. They should work with better companies, but I suspect these don't pay what the EFL want.

5 hours ago, Joe Jones said:

And on the cup, he said: 'The EFL got their first major overseas sponsor in Carabao. This was their brand launch in China, which is a key market for them. In fairness, the draw usually takes place immediately after the last game of the round so it is made somewhere between 10:20pm and 11pm at night - the majority of people at that stage have already gone to bed.

did he really try to explain the decision by saying most in the uk are in bed by 11pm? i think more people stay up later these days.

Archived