Oldest part of Meadow Lane - a question for Family Stand regulars

It's a bit of a paradox that, although we have been lucky enough to call Meadow Lane our home for over 100 years, we spend our matchdays at a modern ground. Now work clearly needed to be done in the early 1990s, but it's also a shame that so little of the old ground was kept.

This brings me on to our topic - what is actually the oldest part of our ground? The sports centre that forms the back of the Family Stand was built in 1981 (it was originally supposed to be a new stand, but as Jack Dunnett was unhappy with our crowds it wasn't finished under his stewardship and we spent the 80s playing in front of a wall). The tree between the Main Stand and the Family Stand predates both stands by a long way and has a protection order, but calling it part of the ground is stretching it.

One other thing does spring to mind though - I've only ever been in the Family Stand a couple of times, but I seem to remember going through quite an old-fashioned turnstile on the way in. Is this part of the old ground? Or did I dream it all?

Can any of you think of other remnants of the past at Meadow Lane?

I know the old tunnel the players used to walk through from the Family Stand is still there.

Les Bradd also told me twice that the balcony was designed to emulate the old Wembley trophy area, and that Derek Pavis had hoped we would be in contention to host England games. Likewise, the steps that looks kinda weirdly placed near the alchol side of the Kop was designed to be a mini Wembley walk. Oldest part of the ground I was told is the mast area, that supposedly still contains part of the original ground.

The "alcohol side" - like it! I'll call it that from now on :devil:

What do you mean by the mast end? The Sirrel Stand? I thought the County Road stand was completely flattened.

I remember reading that about the balcony, would be nice to use it again. For younger fans reading (how old do I sound?), the idea of Meadow Lane hosting England matches wasn't so absurd in the mid-90s when most top-flight grounds still had terracing.

The Kop is built on a natural hill, as was the old one, but I assume the old terracing was destroyed during construction. Maybe that's pushing it too. Would like to hear about those turnstiles though if anyone can help!

1. The Tree has gone
2. The turnstiles on the corner nr cattle market
3. The old changing rooms are still there under the family stand.
4. Turnstiles at the corner of county rd nr the small island.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

On 14.10.2017 at 22:13, 4everapie said:

1. The Tree has gone
2. The turnstiles on the corner nr cattle market
3. The old changing rooms are still there under the family stand.
4. Turnstiles at the corner of county rd nr the small island.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1. When did that happen? Are we talking about the same one? The design for the Pavis Stand was changed because they weren't allowed to chop it down.

3. That means they would also date back to 1981 unless I'm mistaken.

4. They're the ones I meant. Look very old school and certainly older than those in the Kop.

1 hour ago, 4everapie said:

The Tree inside the ground went pre season

Just before the pre-season if my memory is correct.

And yeah, the club made a statement after fans had complained on Twitter. The tree actually looked fine to me and to most people (I'm not saying it wasn't dying), it just seems a shame they haven't attempted to replace it with another tree.

Archived