Portable music devices

Chris

What portable music device did you enjoy way back in the day?

I used to have a tape player that I listened to all the time when I was much younger, I used to record the radio on a tape and then listen to it on my tape player. I preferred tapes over CD's due to being able to carry a couple, whereas CD's you didn't really want to bring many or any spare with you (at least as a kid/young teen). When CD's became more mainstream I still preferred tapes, though the quality of music was much better on CD - the fact they'd skip became quite annoying.

Then Sony made their infamous 'Mini Disc Player Walkman', god I loved this! The music quality was awesome, the size of the mini discs was perfect.

Then came along MP3 Players (with higher storage) and then mobile phones took over completely.

Which did you enjoy back in the day? Have you ever owned a Mini Disc Player? What did you prefer to listen on the go with?

1 hour ago, Chris said:

What portable music device did you enjoy way back in the day?

I used to have a tape player that I listened to all the time when I was much younger, I used to record the radio on a tape and then listen to it on my tape player.

Way back in the day?????

Here's me thinking my tape player is state of the art high tech gear!

To tell the truth, I bought an MP3 player about 5 years ago and loved it.  I've now moved on to a pair of headphones (the big padded variety) which I purchased with fingers crossed on a Groupon deal.  My worry was that I wouldn't be able to get them to work, but after much googling I managed to convert Youtube videos into MP3 format, then save them to a micro sim card.  You would probably do it in an instant, but for me it was quite an achievement.  I only really use them on holidays, but they've passed many a happy hour on a plane or sunbed.  The only problem is that after a few beers when the Chemical Brothers come on I can't help but do a bit of involuntary 'sunbed dancing'.  Everyone else around the pool thinks I'm having a cardiac arrest!

Hahah... Love it @Elite_pie!

I've never actually adjusted well with MP3 players, I had a 1GB player and it seemed very fiddly. It might be because I'm not prepared to spend more than £50 on a device like this, but I kind of wished that more supported Micro Sim cards - I've been watching some on Amazon but playlists are a massive thing for me.

I probably don't use my phone as much as I could, but it seems a waste of battery.

Currently I don't actually listen to much on the go, so it would be nice to rock my Mini Disc player at times and hopefully we'll see more digital radios also make their way onto MP3 players. 

My first one was an audio cassette player, doing the whole "recording songs off the radio" spiel before taking it on holiday.

I was bought an iPod Nano when I was 16 but I loathed it - and indeed it's given be a lifelong hatred of Apple products - so I switched to bogstandard MP3 players.

Now I actually don't even bother listening to music off my phone, but my Sony phone could hold a fair few tracks.

I used to tape the top 40 and listen again and again. I still remember what was in the charts in 91-93 off by heart.

I didn't have a Walkman but I did have a cheap no-name purple version that smelled a bit funny/interesting. Loved it to bits.

My sister had a couple of minidiscs but I never did. At that time CDs were becoming dominant and cassettes were still around, so I didn't really see the point in minidiscs. They missed the boat really.

I moved on to no-name MP3 players, which I used until they fell apart, and finally my phone (listening to music on your phone with the screen off is about the least battery-intensive thing you can do with it @Chris, unless you're using Spotify which is a different story).

Had an original Walkman after having (I think) Alba version originally. The Walkman was miles better and I wasn't embarrassed to show it off in public!! Before that I had a twin deck portable tape/radio player with stereo speakers, locally called a 'derogatory word that can no longer be used'' box that wasn't really that portable, but did take batteries so can be classed as such!

Archived