Could matchday programmes soon be a thing of the past??

Joe Jones

The EFL has announced that a vote will take place at their AGM in June to decide on whether producing matchday programmes should continue to be a requirement for each club playing a league home game.

“At is summer meeting in June 2018, the EFL will vote on a proposal that will determine whether or not it is an absolute requirement to produce a matchday programme from the start of the 2018/19 season onwards," a statement read.

“A number of clubs have asked the EFL if the mandatory publication of a matchday programme can be addressed as a result of an overall decline in sales and the proliferation of digital and social media, which has the ability to deliver the same content in a more cost-effective manner.

“Irrespective of the outcome at June's AGM, the EFL will continue to produce a match programme for its five competition finals - the Carabao Cup, Checkatrade Trophy and Sky Bet Play-Offs."

Big news here... if a matchday is no longer a requirement, just how many clubs will choose to opt out, either right away or after a few months/years as more and more clubs opt to stop doing them to reduce costs?

And this would certainly mean that you could no longer get a full set of 46 programmes (or however many league games will end up being played in one season) for home and away, plus extras for cup games, or at the very least the full 23 for home games... wouldn't it feel almost like an incomplete Panini album?

Let's get your thoughts!

Alan

The EFL has announced that a vote will take place at their AGM in June to decide on whether producing matchday programmes should continue to be a requirement for each club playing a league home game.
“At is summer meeting in June 2018, the EFL will vote on a proposal that will determine whether or not it is an absolute requirement to produce a matchday programme from the start of the 2018/19 season onwards," a statement read.
“A number of clubs have asked the EFL if the mandatory publication of a matchday programme can be addressed as a result of an overall decline in sales and the proliferation of digital and social media, which has the ability to deliver the same content in a more cost-effective manner.
“Irrespective of the outcome at June's AGM, the EFL will continue to produce a match programme for its five competition finals - the Carabao Cup, Checkatrade Trophy and Sky Bet Play-Offs."
Big news here... if a matchday is no longer a requirement, just how many clubs will choose to opt out, either right away or after a few months/years as more and more clubs opt to stop doing them to reduce costs?
And this would certainly mean that you could no longer get a full set of 46 programmes (or however many league games will end up being played in one season) for home and away, plus extras for cup games, or at the very least the full 23 for home games... wouldn't it feel almost like an incomplete Panini album?
Let's get your thoughts!
Alan Hardy said Notts lose money on printing programmes. And would stop them and do something in house. We have loads left over every game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Supporter+

I very rarely buy a programme, in this day and age I can get everything I need to know about the match I am about to watch online, I think they will eventually die a death like fanzines.

They're well made but too bulky for my taste now. I wouldn't bother if I went to every home game. Less is more - it might be worth scaling it down and charging half the price for half the number of pages. We can't carry on with ever bigger and more expensive programmes as if the internet never happened.

Match programmes in Germany are rudimentary affairs. Many Bundesliga clubs dish them out for free and some are little more than leaflets.

On 4/30/2018 at 22:30, 4everapie said:

Alan

Alan Hardy said Notts lose money on printing programmes. And would stop them and do something in house. We have loads left over every game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The club gives the programmes left over away and, even then they struggle to get rid of them - other people take them hoping to achieve the same thing. :lol:

I don't know, I think the club should do a subscription for the programmes - then print the amount that's needed and a few 100 for those that do pay for them. I know for a fact that this issue isn't really found with the top flight or any of the Championship teams that I know people from.

Just natural for lower tier teams to lose money.

Archived