Best festival you've been to in Notts?

Today, 10 May, is the anniversary of a festival / open air concert which was held at Meadow Lane in 1969 with a frankly ridiculous (as in good) line-up.

Frankly I can't believe only 2,000 tickets were sold, especially when I think to something like Woodstock over the pond which has become a seminal moment in worldwide music culture.

Nonetheless, this made me think about the festival scene in Nottinghamshire, which remains pretty lively to this day - and in the surrounding counties there are plenty of other cracking festivals.

What is the best festival / open air concert you remember that was pretty local to Nottingham, and why does it hold such a special place in your heart?

Mine, personally speaking, was No Tomorrow 2015. Here's the line-up:

image.png

As luck would have it, this was my very first festival, and to this day it's the best one I've been to.

The line-up was great - a good mix of mainstream acts that were very big on the radio at the time, plus a lot of more underground acts.

The weather was amazing both days, the atmosphere was superb, and it was just such an incredible experience.

Sadly, the organisers let the festival wither away and die in the corner the following year - I was clicking on the site and social media for updates time and time again as the months passed, like Seymour waiting for Fry in Futurama, but eventually (around March time) I gave up the ghost.

A massive shame that the organisers didn't even bother to announce that the event wouldn't be going on, especially when it's the same people who do Splendour festival (which was very heavily promoted in 2016), an event which I wouldn't touch with a bargepole (I can think of better things to do with my time than being in a field with thousands of prosecco-drinking normies and screaming children and listening to washed-up has-beens like Spandau Ballet).

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 22:48, Magic magpie said:

I’ve never been to a festival 

Ditto, not my thing.

Loud music, rowdy people and quite possible a load of (sorry for this) d**kh**ds. Not forgetting the spoilt brats that rely on mummy or daddy to fork the bill.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Ditto, not my thing.

Loud music, rowdy people and quite possible a load of (sorry for this) d**kh**ds. Not forgetting the spoilt brats that rely on mummy or daddy to fork the bill.

Plus I’m not in to shittin in a field or Porter loo 😂😂💩💩

Supporter+

Best festival I’ve been to was the Beer Festival, loads of real ale. :happybanana:

Archived