Wrestling - Anyone enjoy(ed) watching it?

Chris

I grew up as a kid watching WWF (now WWE) and WCW on VHS.

I never really understood the difference between the two federations, but I really enjoyed WWF. The rooster in the late 80's and early 90's was brilliant, people like Mr Perfect, Jake the Snake, Hulk Hogan, Macho Man and the Ultimate Warrior. I just loved it because it captured my imagination and you really did root for the good guy.

These days you don't really see people backing the 'good guy', more times you will see the villain gaining the support and I don't find it to be all that interesting now.

The golden generation really did showcase wrestling, whereas now the moves and skill has improved - the story lines just seem to go too far (even for someone who's a fan of the NWO era/ WWF Attitude era) The Monday night wars will never be beaten and whilst the WWE doesn't have a promotion like WCW on it's back, wrestling for me will always be pretty stale.

What do you make of the modern day wresting? Do you enjoy it?

Also, who's your all time favourite wrestler? Discuss below...

Watching Wrestlemania 23 got me into it. But as of late the WWE product has grown stale and has become shockingly woeful. NXT has shone above it

The match quality and storylines in New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) are the best in wrestling today. 

Used to be a big of John Cena, as did everyone who grew up with him being the face of the company.

Favourites now are mostly NJPW wrestlers. Mainly, Kazuchika Okada and Will Ospreay. Also a massive fan of Finn Balor. 

The main reason the fans are mostly in control these days is because they could probably run a show better than the WWE creative team. Vince McMahon is out of date and he needs to hand over the reigns to Triple H. 

Oh and don't get me started on Roman Reigns

The same @Chris i grew up watching wrestling sometimes at his house I used to love to it .. then it got boaring predictable and paying big names for doing jack **** like brock lesnar and Ronda rowsay getting soecotreatment. And kids who have only been doing five minutes giving them what other have worked there entire lives for. My favourite was stone cold Steve Austin he didn’t give a crap I liked that. The only one this days I’ve any time is a styles dose anything for the fans wresting 6 times in 7 days flying half way across the world to compete when someone else is ill or can’t. he is the most deserving of the front cover of the lastest game. @ARLukomski what do you think.?

1 minute ago, ARLukomski said:

Watching Wrestlemania 23 got me into it. But as of late the WWE product has grown stale and has become shockingly woeful. NXT has shone above it

The match quality and storylines in New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) are the best in wrestling today. 

Used to be a big of John Cena, as did everyone who grew up with him being the face of the company.

Favourites now are mostly NJPW wrestlers. Mainly, Kazuchika Okada and Will Ospreay. Also a massive fan of Finn Balor. 

The main reason the fans are mostly in control these days is because they could probably run a show better than the WWE creative team. Vince McMahon is out of date and he needs to hand over the reigns to Triple H. 

Oh and don't get me started on Roman Reigns

You start on roman Reigns I’ll spear ya ....! 😂 he is my boy 

Biggest hyped wrestler out there @Magic magpie Roman Reigns.

There's been far better people on the mic and with technical skills that have been overlooked, whilst he's been given a very unfair push. I've always felt Shane McMahon would lead the WWE well if he was given full control. I don't think Tripple H should really be given that sort of power, perhaps Shane v Stephanie/Hunter would make the two rooster splits interesting.

There's just very few surprises in modern wrestling.

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

Biggest hyped wrestler out there @Magic magpie Roman Reigns.

There's been far better people on the mic and with technical skills that have been overlooked, whilst he's been given a very unfair push. I've always felt Shane McMahon would lead the WWE well if he was given full control. I don't think Tripple H should really be given that sort of power, perhaps Shane v Stephanie/Hunter would make the two rooster splits interesting.

There's just very few surprises in modern wrestling.

The Shane v Stephanie is being done now .. well till a few months ago it’s been done mate so many times the storylines are **** and boaring and predictable

I'm an attitude era fan.

I grew up watching Stone Cold, The Rock and many other great wrestlers. The thing about the WWE compared to then is the matches wasn't always the same, Mankind vs The Undertaker is a classic but if they wrestled it now it would be done every other week. It's boring!

I watch RAW over Smackdown but the WWE does seem stale.

The creative team behind the scenes needs to be replaced, the story lines are the same old and they should appointment soap writers (if they aim to continue with their washed out story lines). If the WWE went back to wrestling angles, get former legends back on board.

i used to watch it like 2006 maybe a few years after that but i found it most boring.

i dont think the wwe have as many top superstars as they once had, the champions change too often and the people entrusted to carry the titles are usually the ones who suck the most ***.

I have been watching the WWE all my life, I still do now but I don't find it as enjoyable. I don't like the stance that they have gone down with regards to giving semi active wrestlers titles or even main paper view slots.

The Undertaker is a great guy and one hell of a wrestler but he is part of this issue.

The WWE doesn't seem to know how to get certain wrestlers over anymore.

Supporter+

It’s not a sport I enjoy especially when it involves Harry Kane and Tunisian defenders. :censored:

Rowdy Roddy Piper,The Bushwackers,but for really funny wrestling go back to ITV wrestling and Les Kellett.Can you remember birthday boy @Fan of Big Tone

Supporter+

Yes I remember Les Kellett, itv on Saturday I think, my mam used to shout at the telly. :biggrin:

Supporter+
2 minutes ago, Magic magpie said:

All done mate 

Cheers

8 minutes ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

Yes I remember Les Kellett, itv on Saturday I think, my mam used to shout at the telly:biggrin:

So did @GrannyPie's.She used to get really into it, and waving her fist at the telly as if they could hear her.

Supporter+
1 hour ago, super_ram said:

So did @GrannyPie's.She used to get really into it, and waving her fist at the telly as if they could hear her.

Well these days she’s got her walking stick to wave. :joker:

Archived