Match Discussion: Game 1 - The U's (H)

samwatto2008

So with the nerves and excitement kicking in ahead of the season opener at Meadow Lane, thought I would see how our opponents setup and who are their danger men ahead of the fixture. 

United have added to their squad well in the summer adding a few big names in league two. Frank Nouble, Harry Pell and Luke Norris being all big names that I expect to start in the season opener. Sammie Szmodics is also a big name in their squad who was important to keep hold of. I think they will setup a 3-5-2 formation with Szmodics playing in the CAM role with Norris and Nouble up top which is by no means an easy strike force to control. 

Notts still look week in defence and I do think a keeper is needed before the start of the season. Our defence has not got the strength to deal with Nouble but Norris should be kept quiet if played. In this match I think we  have got to attack to defend, if they play a 3-5-2 then this leaves gaps all over the pitch for Hemmings, Dennis and Boldewjin to run riot. Think this will be a high scoring game myself, 2-2 or 3-2 Notts. 

Nolan seemed in doubt after Luton so he needs to ensure his match tactics are executed and delivered by the players. Be interesting to see what version of Notts turns up and to see if the players have had enough game time in pre-season to gel. This is where it counts now and every point matters. Also I hope if we score we have got out of this habit of hanging on a 1 goal lead as we lost too many points to sitting back last season. 

Let me know your thoughts?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luke Norris is a clever player at this level, I always rated him when he played for Gillingham and Swindon. He will be a big threat against Notts on Saturday, as will Frank Nouble who is a threat with the ball from distance and up close.

I'm not overly concerned by the threats of Colchester, I think Notts could pin them back and retain the ball well.

Provided they move forward and only pass back to make space in front of them, hoofing would make the game scrappy but if we pass quickly and confident - I think the pressure will cause Colchester to panic.

• Chris changed the title to Match Discussion: Game 1 - The U's (H)
  • Chris featured this topic
Supporter+

I hope to see some good football played on the ground when they can, wingers beating their men and supplying good crosses for Hemmings and Dennis to finish. Fingers crossed.

I hope Notts will win and try to keep the ball on the deck, don't want to be going home with a crick in my neck from too much hoofball, thank you Notts. Him of the "green jersey" from across the bridge used to say "If football was meant to be played in the air, the sky would be green" Maybe Kevin should remind the players of this. COYP

I am confident that Notts can start the season off well, it might be slow at first but its all about confidence at this stage. I feel if things go Notts way they will make the most of the 90 minutes and claim a victory.

It's all about what the players do when they don't have the ball.

A solid start to the season would bring a lot of excitement and, the whole 'feel-good' factor could return. Picking up from where the club left last season would be very promising to see, yet the first game is always a difficult one.

My team.

Fitzsimons

Tootle, Duffy, Brisley, Jones

Boldewijn, Vaughan, Thomas

Hewitt

Dennis, Hemmings

I think the score will be 2-1 Notts.

1 hour ago, B&Wstripes said:

@Chris maybe Noor Husin further up would work better?

I do think Elliot Hewitt would work there, though Noor Husin brings something different.

The formation can easily revert to 4-4-2 which would be another plus for starting with Hewitt because he works harder in my opinion.

I think the fitness of the squad has not been to level it should be, either that or the training has been taking it out of the players.

Colchester will a good test of what the standard of League Two will be like this season, Notts will have to match them and out perform them if we are to get the win. I think it could end up a 2-2 draw.

Archived