Match Discussion: Game 12 - The Silkmen (A)

PON_News

Game 12 - The Silkmen (A)

Team: Macclesfield Town

Date: 06/10/18

Where: Moss Rose

What line-up should Harry Kewell opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

Macclesfield will feel hard done by after conceding late on against Newport in 90+7 which denied them all three points. They are still looking for their first win of the campaign under new manager Mark Yates. With Milsom picking up a straight red, it raises the question who will take his place in the centre of the park. Personally I think it will be Husin and Hewitt as the pairing but I really wish Vaughan could get back into the team sooner rather than later. I also think Stead should be given a rest but I don't think he will. I think Kewell's standards are high and even though he is 35/36 I think he will still expect him to captain the side out on Saturday.

Lineup: Fitzsimmons / Tootle - Turley - Ward - Evina / Boldewjin - Husin - Hewitt - Alessandra / Stead - Hemmings

I think we have to be searching for three points here. Macclesfield are a team low on confidence and are struggling to get going. We also need to turn are poor away form into something that can be challenged. Last year we dropped points to Chesterfield, Barnet and Yeovil as a quick memory jot. So it is important we don't drop points against now relegation favourites and give them a "real good hiding" as Nathan Thomas said in an interview the other week. 

I think it's time to show what we're about and to show our intent for the season ... Macclesfield Town 1 - 4 Notts County (Hemmings (2), Boldewjin, Stead (PEN))

• Like 4

I think the Macclesfield game may be more difficult with each time cancelling out the play, either that or it will be very scrappy. Notts seems to be playing with a cool head now, they seem to know what they have to do and getting hold of the game seems something they are more than capable at doing. I do feel Notts will play well, at least I hope and I am looking forward to going to the game.

Whatever the outcome, I have faith that the clubs going in the right direction.

• Like 6

I wouldn't change too much but I can't see how Harry Kewell can risk playing Jon Stead for another 90 minutes.

It's time to get Kristian Dennis in and see if he can make a difference, Kane Hemmings can't be dropped. He holds the ball up the best and is able to put in those useful passes that lead to goals.

• Like 2

i think the pressure as switch from getting the win to requiring to maintain this form but i think the players will keep up the high level of performance. i would be happy with a draw, i cant get greedy by suggesting another win will come.

• Like 1

I think the pressure starts here to maintain this form and carry on the momentum. Macclesfield are bottom but that will give them fight make them dangerous cause they will need the win. But if we play like we did against Crawley we should be fine we played so well against Crawley both half’s we play like that we should beat them... but the lads have to play and want the win and want to keep the momentum going.

• Like 1

• Chris featured this topic

I think Notts can really kick start the season with a good display, I do feel the confidence has lifted and that makes a difference watching them play. Some fans need to be mindful that it's still early days for Harry Kewell but the positives are the wins.

Points are finally being collected and I can see Notts winning Macclesfield.

The away performances this season have to improve and I think any win will be narrow.

• Like 3

Crucial and a must win game by all accounts.

A draw would be okay but a point isn't what Notts needs right now and bridging the gap from the bottom is the next target. I think things are going that well at the moment that there might be some sort of setback due but I think if the players perform this shouldn't be the case for Saturday.

• Like 2

I still don't know what to expect, I worry that they will want it more and be determined to bounce back after their recent upset.

They don't seem a bad side, just lacking that quality to make them stand out but on the day either team could win. I imagine this could easily be a draw with how each other have been playing.

• Like 1

Wow, what a game this is ! Not in terms of quality necessarily but in terms of what a win could mean; of course it isn’t make or break but as a springboard to a decent run.

as for the Rob Milsom situation; one man doesn’t make a team, but continuity is important when momentum is required and that’s the worry for me. Husin will probably be Harry’s choice, the other alternative is Vaughan of course but somehow I don’t fancy him, he’s not a ball winner any more than Husin is, so where do we go ? Alesandra dropping into midfield and Thomas on the wing ? Or, he change tack and simply bring in Kellett.

it will be interesting but we really need to win this game, I think we are at a crucial point which could be the catalyst for how well we continue to improve.

my predictions are very rarely accurate, my heart says we’ll win my head say something else. Fingers crossed for the former 🤞

Edited by Truefootballfan
  • Like 1

I am not sure how Macclesfield have been playing but just because they are bottom wouldn't make them easy in my eyes, it all depends on the work rate. If the Notts players settle and adapt to the game, I feel a good result will come.

2-0 Notts win is my prediction.

• Like 1

I'm not expecting or predicting a win, I think it's very likely that it will be a draw.

2-2 would be my guess with Hemmings and Hewitt scoring.

I very much hope I'm wrong and that Notts can grab the third back-to-back win but it just seems a little too much. Harry Kewell has spoken about how winning breeds confidence and how the players enjoy playing, so there's every chance but I just feel realistically both teams should cancel each other out.

• Like 1

If Jon Stead plays a full 90 minutes again fans must acknowledge his contributions as of late and show their full support.

He works himself tirelessly and gives 100%.

I do feel Notts will win and I think it will end up like 4-2 or something. Stead to get a brace!

• Like 1

I feel Notts have looked a comfortable side under Harry Kewell passing the ball along the floor.

Even the crosses seem to have improved and Cedric Evina and Enzio Boldwijn do this ever so well. I think the main thing would be to bombard Macclesfield, they don't seem to handle pressure well and if the midfield for us controls the game I do think Notts will win.

• Like 1