Western league Groundhop

weymouthPIE

So those of you who play the prediction league, or who follow me on Twitter may have seen that I was in Bristol over the weekend for the Western league Groundhop.

Basically Groundhop UK arrange several such weekends across the UK every season whereby kick off times are staggered to allow those of us who enjoy ticking off new grounds to attend several new grounds over a weekend. 

This weekend just gone it was the turn of the Western league, which for the benefit of those who don't follow lower league stuff is steps 5 & 6 of the non league pyramid. 

I thought I'd share a few photos from the 7 (yes seven!) games we attended over the weekend. I'll do each match as a separate post on this thread as it only lets you post a certain number pf photos per post. 

Hopefully you like them!

The first stop was on Friday night as Brislington hosted Odd Down from Bath. 

The ground was a real beauty, full of character and was almost fully covered which is rare for this level. 

The game:

Brislington 2-3 Odd Down (Bath)

(Taylor 41' Biggins 72') (Lloyd 6' 78' 84') Western Premier league (05/10/18) 

Crowd 262

Game 1 of the weekends Western league groundhop set a pretty high benchmark, as the visitors edged a 5 goal thriller in front of a bumper crowd.

The visitors hit the front early on when George Lloyd rounded the keeper to slot home, but the hosts levelled it up before the break, with Clarke Taylor pouncing on a defensive error to run through and fire into the bottom corner. 

It was an end-to-end game despite a couple of lengthy stoppages for injuries, but the entertainment went up a notch when Connor Biggins scored the goal of the night - hitting one into the top corner from some 30 yards. 
But not to be outdone, George Lloyd soon restored parity with an equally impressive effort from the edge of the box, although it may have taken a slight deflection with the way it looped over the keeper. 
And Lloyd completed his hattrick 6 minutes from time. The hosts only cleared it as far as Lloyd lurking at the back post, and he did well to hook it in with the ball behind him. 
The hosts threw the kitchen sink at them for the last 5 minutes and had a couple of half hearted penalty appeals waived away, but the visitors held on for their third league win of the season which moves them up to 11th, a place and a point behind their opponents, having played 3 games less.

IMG_20181005_184857.jpg

IMG_20181005_185930.jpg

IMG_20181005_190247.jpg

IMG_20181005_190339.jpg

Game 2 of the weekend saw us up bright and early for an 11am kick off in the pouring rain at Longwell Green Sports. 

They were relegated from the premier Division to division 1 last season and have made a steady start. They welcomed the early season leaders Welton Rovers. 

But the hosts took the lead after less than 90 seconds, and set the tone for an exciting end-to-end game in the pouring rain with the tackles flying in. 

The league leaders eventually came out on top whilst those in attendance crammed into the small stands to keep dry!

Longwell Green Sports 2-3 Welton Rovers
(Britton 2' Charles 36') (Hunt 28' Sevior 52' Newton 73') Western league Division One (06/10/18) 

IMG_20181006_102021.jpg

IMG_20181006_102036.jpg

IMG_20181006_110614.jpg

IMG_20181006_100802.jpg

From there it was a drive to the seaside for a visit to Clevedon Town for a 2:15 kick off. 

Clevedon have played as high as step 3 in the past so their ground was much bigger than the others, albeit in need of some TLC. 

Clevedon were 4th going into the game and welcomed Buckland Athletic who were midtable. But the hosts failed to kick on after taking an early lead, and Buckland fought back to take a deserved win. 

Clevedon Town 1-3 Buckland Athletic (Camm 12') (Johansen 30' Bush 73' Richards 84')

Western premier League (06/10/18) 

IMG_20181006_134904.jpg

Ok for some reason it's now not allowing me to post any more photos at all, must've reached a limit? 

For those who are interested, we then went onto Hallen at 5pm whose ground had 2 actual bus stops in it which I really wish I could show you. 

Then it was Cribbs for a 7:45 kick off. Thats where Bristol Rovers train so as you can imagine the facilities were very good. 

On Sunday it was another early start for an 11:00 kick off at Bridgwater Town, which was another superb little ground. 

Then the finale was back in Bristol at Bristol Telephones. I was disappointed they didn't have a bit of Go West or Blondie for the pre match music there! The hosts held for a while (see what I did there) but two stunning free kicks settled it in favour of the away side. 

Telephones spent a lot of time in their box. The manager tried to ring the changes but the players were on a different wavelength. 

I'll get my coat 😂

26 minutes ago, CliftonMagpie said:

Outside of the Football League @weymouthPIE, which ground do you like the most? I am curious to see what team you say. I might give some of my local teams a go and see what its like down there.

Portland United's Grove Corner down here is my favourite hands down. The most scenic drive and most picturesque ground I know. 

Get yourself down Green Lane to watch the mighty All Whites mate. My old man captained them back in his younger days, no mean feat considering some of the well known names to come through the ranks there. 

FB_IMG_1539122644000.jpg

Supporter+

@weymouthPIE you my friend are a proper football fan, well done mate and keep up the good work, you certainly put me to shame, I don’t get to any away grounds these days but I did when I was younger.

This is brilliant, thanks for sharing! I'd love to do something like this at some point. I intended to do a bit of groundhopping when I moved to Germany but it seems I prefer the routine of watching one team.

On 09/10/2018 at 19:00, weymouthPIE said:

Telephones spent a lot of time in their box. The manager tried to ring the changes but the players were on a different wavelength. 

He should have signalled to the linesman.

Archived