No wonder foreigners struggle with the English language

Supporter+

This made me larf.

english poem.jpg

How do you pronounce the letters OUGH in a word.Is it uff as in Brian Clough or is oo as in through.Though then again it could be (h)ow as in a main branch-bough.The Irish call a lake a Lough.It's very confusing.Is it uff,oo,o,ow or ock.It's enough to make you cough.Oh dear now there's an off too.There ought ( another one) to be some help for us English as well as foreigners.

I feel the older generation such as @super_ram, @Fan of Big Tone and probably @Elite_pie had very good English teachers.

In primary school mine was useless, I only learned to read and write once I moved school's and much of this occurred in my final year (year 6). I might be far from the best but it's much better than a lot of those that use social media and have been taught properly. It's worth noting that a lot of other issues have come about such as a rise in dyslexia but I do feel a lot of the issues these days stem from bad teachers and lazy people.

When I see text language being used by anyone older than me I cringe but I do not become the grammar police either. :)  

Supporter+
18 minutes ago, Chris said:

When I see text language being used by anyone older than me I cringe but I do not become the grammar police either. :)  

Wot u on about m8. 😂

I think it is partly down to how its being used nowadays. Most people either use text talk or use a computer so don't need to learn to spell, making it harder to learn how to speak english too.

Even at superpies school now they mainly use a chromebook in lessons and bring that home to do homework on, so they don't even need to have good handwriting or be good at spelling. We even have to pay to rent it every year as compulsory. This to me is a ridiiculous idea as writing on paper is just as important.

Supporter+

I’ve worked in the printing industry all my life, if I spelt anything wrong or got punctuation wrong I was for the high jump. I hate to see bad spelling and text talk it just goes against everything I’ve ever known BUT times change I understand that and I try to move on but it’s hard.

On 04/11/2018 at 20:47, Fan of Big Tone said:

I’ve worked in the printing industry all my life, if I spelt anything wrong or got punctuation wrong I was for the high jump. I hate to see bad spelling and text talk it just goes against everything I’ve ever known BUT times change I understand that and I try to move on but it’s hard.

It’s hard to change your mind set especially when you have been taught something is correct then it changes. 

Like you say  your livelihood has depended on you being correct with spelling grammar etc.

1 hour ago, Magic magpie said:

It’s hard to change your mind set especially when you have been taught something is correct then it changes. 

Like you say  your livelihood has depended on you being correct with spelling grammar etc.

If you mis- say something, you are likely to mis spell it too.

• 3 weeks later...

Recipe must be a word that confuses many people.Why isn't who spelt hoo.Any other suggestions?

8 minutes ago, cheeky~k8 said:

Suggestions could be words with silent letters like doubt etc.

Even words like words!

On 27/11/2018 at 23:26, super_ram said:

Even words like words!

Word,Curd,Bird-shouldn't they be spelt Werd,Cerd,Berd-how absurd.:rollonfloorlaughing:

Archived