Favourite theme park

Supporter+

What's the best theme park you've been to and which is the best value for money?

The best I've been to with the grandchildren was Legoland we took three grandchildren the youngest wasn't born then and we went with our now deceased son, it holds special lovely memories but it was really expensive.

For value for money I would say Twin Lakes near Melton Mowbray, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg but has some great rides especially for younger children.

Does Fantasy Island in Ingoldmells Count? lol

Alton Towers for adults would be the normal choice, but I've not been for donkeys years. We went to Legoland a few years back and the kids enjoyed it. Such a long drive though!

We have annual passes for Twin Lakes and Wheelgate so go to them regularly with my two.

Supporter+
5 minutes ago, hissingdwarf said:

We have annual passes for Twin Lakes and Wheelgate so go to them regularly with my two.

Yeah, Wheelgate is ok but we like Twin Lakes better, pity its furthest away of the two.

I've been to many with my children and Fantasy Island is up there with the best.

I used to love 'American Adventure' and the site could have been so much more with investment, I went three times in the year prior to its closure with school and I fell in love with it. It was big enough to make the park feel easy to be - something places like Fantasy Island and Alton Towers fail to achieve.

There's a lot to be said about a theme park that can separate its attractions so that it filters how busy it appears, even on those days where the demand is near to its maximum allowance.

Also, I wished we had a true scare park.

Alton Towers has moved year after year from being a suitable venue for being somewhere to get a spooky feel. It's nothing more than a childs theme park with little imagination in my opinion now. In America this time of year it's amazing (never been but I have seen enough footage) to see how easily transformed theme parks are for Halloween. It's bizarre that Alton Towers seems to sway more to the adrenaline. 

I used to like going to draytom manor as a kid quite alot. I did go to alton towers a few times too. 

With my kids now we like going to wheelgate and fantasy island as they are slightly more affordable for a special occasion. 

The only one i never liked was american adventure.

Supporter+
12 hours ago, Chris said:

I've been to many with my children and Fantasy Island is up there with the best.

I used to love 'American Adventure' and the site could have been so much more with investment, I went three times in the year prior to its closure with school and I fell in love with it. It was big enough to make the park feel easy to be - something places like Fantasy Island and Alton Towers fail to achieve.

There's a lot to be said about a theme park that can separate its attractions so that it filters how busy it appears, even on those days where the demand is near to its maximum allowance.

Also, I wished we had a true scare park.

Alton Towers has moved year after year from being a suitable venue for being somewhere to get a spooky feel. It's nothing more than a childs theme park with little imagination in my opinion now. In America this time of year it's amazing (never been but I have seen enough footage) to see how easily transformed theme parks are for Halloween. It's bizarre that Alton Towers seems to sway more to the adrenaline. 

Yes American Adventure was really good we used to take our boys, it was a shame when it closed because it was nice and easy to get to.

However now it’s been turned back to a country park I can appreciate it as that too, a nice place to go for a picnic or a country walk away from the hustle and bustle of the town.

5 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

Yes American Adventure was really good we used to take our boys, it was a shame when it closed because it was nice and easy to get to.

However now it’s been turned back to a country park I can appreciate it as that too, a nice place to go for a picnic or a country walk away from the hustle and bustle of the town.

Do you know if any bus services run nearby?

Supporter+
6 minutes ago, Chris said:

Do you know if any bus services run nearby?

I don’t think you can get in the old American Adventure entrance now, you have to go through the industrial estate. So for you it’d be Rainbow 1 from Cinderhill, get off at Heanor Market then walk into the park through the industrial estate about half hour walk.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cinderhill+to+shipley+park&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#tduds=!1m6!1m2!1s0x4879ea78ff9bf9e5:0x46a857344328707e!2scinderhill!2m2!1d-1.201017!2d52.983207!1m6!1m2!1s0x4879ed0237c3f1cf:0x3827c5f815bfab2d!2sshipley park!2m2!1d-1.3570989999999998!2d53.002117!3e3

Archived