Daily chat thread - Monday 5th November

Supporter+

Good morning it’s a mild, cloudy and slightly misty start here but at least it’s dry.

Remember, remember the 5th November, I wonder how many kids know the reason for fireworks this time of year or some adults for that matter.

For those that don’t know it is to remember when a chap called Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament with gunpowder and was called the gunpowder plot, he was caught and met a particularly grisly death, look it up if you want to know more.

When I was a lad we used to make an effigy of Guy Fawkes in the weeks and days before bonfire night and put it on our home made wooden trolley (which had pram wheels) and take it to a prominent place, in my case the shops which were on Meadow Lane or on match days outside the ground and ask for a “penny for the guy”, we used to make quite a bit of money especially when Notts had won, the money would be spent on sweets and fireworks, Penny bangers and jumping jacks were favourites both probably banned now. A penny banger was literally a small tube filled with gunpowder with a fuse which cost a penny, when lit it made a loud bang, we used to throw them about and at each other, :panic:, a jumping jack was a firework shaped a bit like a concertina which we put on the ground and lit and it jumped about whilst banging.

On the actual night of November the 5th we would put the guy on a communal bonfire which was constructed on waste ground using old sofas, chairs, wood, cardboard boxes etc. Then the bonfire was set alight and people let their fireworks off and roasted potatoes on the bonfire.

Here endeth the history lesson. Today I’ve got computer work to do, a big shop at Lidl and a bit of a de clutter  in the loft to take some stuff to the charity shops.

Have a great day folks.

Bit of an admin day for me today, going to start to sort out Christmas presents and source how I am going to get them and for the best price. I then need to catch up on some apprentice work so I will do that. Hopefully tonight fingers crossed I can find a local fireworks display after Saturday's mishap.

Have a good day everyone.

Today's been productive but quite bizarre.

I have dedicated I'll go watch the firework display with my family, I'm still tired but I can't be bothered with petty things. I've been ensuring things have been updated otherwise and I am working on the newsletters PON sends.

On top of that I am trying to get things back to normal.

Supporter+

Congratulations on the new job @liampie

8 hours ago, liampie said:

i started a new job recently, same work place but a different location and i have not wanted to mention it due to the previous issues.

im doing 10 hour shifts and added overtime, so i am quite limited right now.

Well done on the new job mate 👍🏻👍🏻I hope they appreciate you dude. 

No worries mate see you when you can get on bud 👍🏻

i know this is old but thank you to everyone who wished me well.

i missed this because i am working 10 hours now and i am doing between 1-2 hours overtime most days. i like my new job, its safer and i am on training a lot too. i think if my accident had not have happened and i was not so up front about how i felt to senior management they would not have allowed me to move. they have been great to me too.

11 minutes ago, liampie said:

i know this is old but thank you to everyone who wished me well.

i missed this because i am working 10 hours now and i am doing between 1-2 hours overtime most days. i like my new job, its safer and i am on training a lot too. i think if my accident had not have happened and i was not so up front about how i felt to senior management they would not have allowed me to move. they have been great to me too.

I  seem to have missed your post @liampie but I'm really pleased you like your new position.Every cloud has a silver lining as they say.I'll pass on your good news to @GrannyPie as when I visit her she keeps asking if you are doing alright

13 minutes ago, super_ram said:

I  seem to have missed your post @liampie but I'm really pleased you like your new position.Every cloud has a silver lining as they say.I'll pass on your good news to @GrannyPie as when I visit her she keeps asking if you are doing alright

please tell granny she needs to come back, there is a few members who need a feel of her walking sticks to remind themselves this is a place of fun.

i hope shes doing well now.

Archived