Matic and McClean refuse to wear Poppies on football shirt

Magic magpie

So this week is remberance Sunday, to mark the anniversary of the end of World War One. 

We wear poppies to mark the occasion and show respect to those who lost their life and those who fought bravely. 

Sone players have refused to wear a poppy, Matic from United, I’m ashsmed to say, and Stokes james  McClean the other. 

Mclean came under fire from Middlesbrough fans at the weekend for refusal. 

What’s your thoughts guys and girls on this.?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, James McClean states he don't wear a poppy because of what happened in his home town where he grew up in Northern Ireland but if it meant that much to him than why doesn't he play for Northern Ireland as opposed to Republic of Ireland? It seems an invalid point given this circumstance. Year after year he makes the news, why don't the club he plays for step in and make him unavailable during remembrance month to save him getting abused by fans that he clearly doesn't want. 

Matic wore a poppy for both Man Utd and Chelsea in the past, so why all of a sudden make a statement that it reminds him of when he was 12 given that he wore the poppy previously.? 

Both in my opinion make invalid points and should wear them as a mark of respect. 

Supporter+

I think it should be up to the players whether they wear a poppy or not and they shouldn’t be abused for not wearing one, we live in a free country and that’s what the wars were fought for and the millions of brave people died for.

3 hours ago, Bainbridge NCFC said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, James McClean states he don't wear a poppy because of what happened in his home town where he grew up in Northern Ireland but if it meant that much to him than why doesn't he play for Northern Ireland as opposed to Republic of Ireland? It seems an invalid point given this circumstance. Year after year he makes the news, why don't the club he plays for step in and make him unavailable during remembrance month to save him getting abused by fans that he clearly doesn't want. 

Matic wore a poppy for both Man Utd and Chelsea in the past, so why all of a sudden make a statement that it reminds him of when he was 12 given that he wore the poppy previously.? 

Both in my opinion make invalid points and should wear them as a mark of respect. 

Not really an invalid point for McClean. He is obviously a good player and to say he needs to confine his game to just N Ireland is a bit daft imo. He doesn’t wear a poppy because he is a Fenian. I also find this time of year difficult as a fenian/republican Irishman.

Remembrance day is just that. A highly charged emotional day in a year where, unfortunately, people’s choices have become politicised. A person growing up in Derry is reminded everyday of the loss of life and the sacrifices made there and he is entitled to show this in anyway he chooses. It is not the right if moronic football fans to abuse him in any way about his choice, because as has been said, the whole point of Remembrance Day, is to consider those gone before who fought for freedom against those who who looked to repress it.

I wear a small poppy backed by a four leaf clover to show my consideration for Irish soldiers that lost their life in the unjust war in Ireland.

I also wear a white poppy to show that in my opinion, war shows us the worst parts of our nature and especially in the last 40-50 years, the pretext to going to war is not the real reason for it.

@hissingdwarf @hissingdwarf as you said Irish fought In the war, so couldn't he represent it the way you have chosen to represent the poppy? I just think if you are going to make a point of something bad happening in your hometown then shouldn't you represent your home town by playing for that country if you feel so strongly towards it? The poppy is no way political but with how he perceives it makes it political. In my opinion. 

@Fan of Big Tone they shouldn't be abused granted but for the sacrifices given to give us freedom shouldn't we remember them by representating the poppy

Supporter+
11 minutes ago, Bainbridge NCFC said:

@Fan of Big Tone they shouldn't be abused granted but for the sacrifices given to give us freedom shouldn't we remember them by representating the poppy

Yes we should remember them if we choose to I do wear a poppy because that’s my choice but I would defend others who choose not to, that’s freedom.

I wear a red poppy, but only on the 11th. I think this modern thing of wearing them for weeks on end actually devalues the whole thing - I've seen people wearing a poppy on halloween for goodness sake. We must also remember that 1918 was the armistice on the western front only, other countries have different dates and even years for when their participation in WWI started and finished. This, to me, is why the blanket wearing of poppies on football kits puts non-UK people in a difficult moral position. Leave it to the individual, and keep all commemorations to the 11th (in UK) and Rememberance Sunday itself if that isn't on the 11th.

1 hour ago, Bainbridge NCFC said:

@hissingdwarf @hissingdwarf as you said Irish fought In the war, so couldn't he represent it the way you have chosen to represent the poppy? I just think if you are going to make a point of something bad happening in your hometown then shouldn't you represent your home town by playing for that country if you feel so strongly towards it? The poppy is no way political but with how he perceives it makes it political. In my opinion. 

Yes we should remember them, but there are other ways of doing it. I think about it on the day my grandfather was killed.

With the greatest of respect, I’m a little concerned of your understanding of the Irish troubles. I really don’t think this is the thread to expand on the issue of Ireland, as that would be disrespectful to the thrust of remembrance in the UK, but I’d suggest a little research into the history of Derry and the troubles.

@hissingdwarf who said anything about the knowledge of troubles? I'm just quoting what McClean said about refusing to wear the poppy? 

@ivansneck some people choose to wear them for weeks but clubs wear them at home games closest to the 11th..which is what this thread is about. Tottenham didn't wear one last week because they have a home game at weekend. 

@hissingdwarf who said anything about the knowledge of troubles? I'm just quoting what McClean said about refusing to wear the poppy? 

@ivansneck some people choose to wear them for weeks but clubs wear them at home games closest to the 11th..which is what this thread is about. Tottenham didn't wear one last week because they have a home game at weekend. 

Feel free to start another thread, but as I’ve said, you’re understanding of the history of a place like Derry for example is slightly off. Imo this thread is not the place to start preaching Irish politics or history of.

People forget that the poppy is used to remember the soldiers that lost their lives during war, in the name of this country.  

Debating if the wars were just or unjust will go on forever without any agreement, but that is not what the poppy is for. The people that sacrificed their lives didn't make the decision to declare war on Germany (twice), to invade Iraq or Afghanistan, to reclaim the Falkland Islands or to intervene in the Northern Ireland conflict.  They followed the orders of their commanding officers and paid the ultimate sacrifice. That is what the poppy stands for. 

Supporter+
32 minutes ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

People forget that the poppy is used to remember the soldiers that lost their lives during war, in the name of this country.  

Debating if the wars were just or unjust will go on forever without any agreement, but that is not what the poppy is for. The people that sacrificed their lives didn't make the decision to declare war on Germany (twice), to invade Iraq or Afghanistan, to reclaim the Falkland Islands or to intervene in the Northern Ireland conflict.  They followed the orders of their commanding officers and paid the ultimate sacrifice. That is what the poppy stands for. 

I think we all know what the poppy stands for but that’s not what the original topic is about, it’s about two footballers who didn’t want to wear a poppy for whatever reason. I think they shouldn’t be subject to abuse for not wearing a poppy if that’s what they want. 

46 minutes ago, Bainbridge NCFC said:

@hissingdwarf I've not said anything about the history of Derry. As I have said I'm just saying what McClean has said himself. 

And as I have said repeatedly, you obviously don’t know anything about the history of Derry and what it means to a Fenian. Even though I’ve politely tried to not bring Irish political struggles into this thread, your lack of knowledge of the history of Derry and what it means to a republican growing up there shows why McClean has said what he has said and he deserves total respect for doing that. To not know anything about Derry is to not know anything about why McClean refuses to wear the red poppy.

@hissingdwarf I never suggested bringing politics into this, you bought it in by saying I know nothing about it when all I was saying was I believe if he had strong feelings then he should play football for northern Ireland rather than Republic of Ireland. I was talking football. As I have said all through I'm just quoting him and saying my opinion. Read it back and I never made it about history. You bought that into the conversation. I was speaking football. 

Again, with the greatest of respect, it is History! Derry is a focal point for all Fenians and McClean is playing for his own Country. Of a start, the clue is in the name Derry rather than its English name. Any Fenian will not associate themselves with ‘Northern Ireland’ as you put it because there is no such thing and some of the historical facts around Derry have only strengthened this view over the years. Without sounding pedantic, May I ask your age?

• Chris locked this topic

Archived