Rooney to play in friendly against USA at Wembley

Magic magpie

So a few days ago I read that Rooney will come out of retirement to play against the USA in a friendly at Wembley. 

The match has been called a friendly but it’s now being seen has Rooney's international send off. 

England Captain Harry Kane in a interview went off script by saying that Rooney will be the captain and he would only be too happy for Rooney to lead the team out. 

The idea is thought to be that of manager Gareth Southgate but the FA insist that Rooney will not lead out this team he will play only a cameo role against the USA. 

Southgate insists that Rooney will not retain the number 10 shirt. 

Kane revealed that he, Southgate and a few other senior players wanted to do something to mark Rooneys milestone. 

So it’s unclear at the minute as to the role of Rooney against the USA but it’s has to be said that Kane has handled it like a captain and a true professional, showing nothing but respect. 

He's been told he will only get a 5 or 10 mins playing time. But for me he shouldn't be recalled. Just because it's to mark a 120th cap? Like Shilton said caps should be given out as merit not just any how. Since Rooney left England we have been better. Finished better in World Cup, Stones scored more World Cups in 1 game than Rooney did in 3 World Cups, Kane 1 World Cup 6 goals compared with Rooney's 1 goal in 3 World Cups. Undeserved 120th cap. 

i think its a nice gesture for someone who was undervalued when he was playing regularly, his commitment and attitude spoke volumes. his ability might have worn off but he should be given a testimonial.

i am just not sure if it should be an actual friendly.

1 hour ago, cheeky~k8 said:

I don't see an issue with him playing a friendly game like some have in the news. Other players that have retired have gone on to play friendly games or charity ones, so this is no different.

I think it’s the fact he may get the armband and people want England to progress and improve but your right others have returned. 

3 hours ago, CliftonMagpie said:

It should be a charity game in England colours and he should play the full game or a least 85 minutes of it.

Good player who England fans expected to carry the squad and he did at times.

I agree it should be a charity game so the game is a sol tribute game where we say a Thankyou to Wayne for what he’s done.

Archived