Match Discussion: Game 20 - Cumbrians (H)

PON_News

Game 20 - Cumbrians (H)

Team: Carlisle United

Date: 27/11/18

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Harry Kewell opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

will this be ardleys first game?

i dont know what to expect, carlisle are a good team and i think they could walk all over notts on the day. it depends which team turns up for both clubs and who takes charge. i have little faith with chettle in charge because he seems quite clueless.

It should be Neal Ardleyfirst game in charge weather he has enough time to make his mark is any ones guess .. I want us to win like everyone else but it will take neal Ardley a few games to settle in .. this game though if we are to avoid a relegation scrap just became a must .. nothing but 3 points will do they need to be tight at the back and not conceive and score .. this is going to be a hard game now teams that play us will look for weakness and attack it and caeslie are one of those team Adam Collins if In goal will have a point to prove 

Carlisle United tend to know how to exactly break down a team, if we defend as we tend to do - well I would favour them. It's all about the midfield battle, if we allow them to control the game it will be harder to get something. If Notts can defend aswell as they attack then we stand a chance, I'm not looking forward to it and I think the kop might be depressing. I'm actually considering seeing if I can switch.

I don't care about paying more, it's just not a good vibe when the tension is so high.

Notts does need to get something from the game though.

Bizarrely I think we will actually win this game. 

Lineup: Fitzsimmons/ Tootle - Turley - Ward - Evina / Hawkridge - Milsom - Vaughan - Thomas / Hemmings - Dennis

Assuming Boldewjin is injured. I think this is will be an experiment game as Ardley wants to see a the variety of players we do have and see what they can do and bring to the table. Hemmings or Stead have to come back soon. Dennis is doing OK but could really excel with Hemmings or Stead up there with him. I think we might see the likes of Hawkridge, Evina and Vaughan coming in to show off what they can do so it's an important game for the players if anything.

Carlisle are a very hit and miss team. Their weak point is their keeper Adam Collin who we all know too well. Their strong points are Jamie Devitt, Hallam Hope those types of players. I am hoping we can pull off a win here. It would put us back in the mix and to be totally honest with Macclesfield winning at the weekend we can't afford to get left behind.

Ill go 2 - 0 Notts with Dennis and Thomas to score.

• Chris featured this topic

The second half sounded like a big improvement on the first half.What changed?

Poor performance? Not good but at the same time it wasn't that bad. Notts just parked the bus, there was no attack and Kristian Dennis was isolated.

After Notts scored, we should have pushed for a second.

I think we are lucky too, as Carlisle should have shut the door on us. They was wasteful but fairly decent.

42 minutes ago, super_ram said:

The second half sounded like a big improvement on the first half.What changed?

31 minutes ago, Chris said:

Poor performance? Not good but at the same time it wasn't that bad. Notts just parked the bus, there was no attack and Kristian Dennis was isolated.

After Notts scored, we should have pushed for a second.

I think we are lucky too, as Carlisle should have shut the door on us. They was wasteful but fairly decent.

The first half sounded like Notts were under seige and it was just a matter of time before Carlisle scored.The second half Notts sounded  in it much more,so what changed?Tactics,subs,formation,Carlisle?

14 hours ago, super_ram said:

The first half sounded like Notts were under seige and it was just a matter of time before Carlisle scored.The second half Notts sounded  in it much more,so what changed?Tactics,subs,formation,Carlisle?

First half Notts defended with 9 players plus the keeper.

We couldn't string a pass really and Steve Chettle had the defensive line far too deep. Defensively Notts got lucky, as Carlisle United moved the ball nicely and created some good chances which they're guilty of being very wasteful of. I felt they look very confident until they struck the ball but a lot of praise for me should be given to Jamie Turley who battled and tried to win everything.

In the second half Notts always do better when they attack the Kop.

Chettle claims he changed things but this isn't true, we started off exactly the same as we ended the first half but grew in confidence as the game progressed, When Notts started knocking on the door, we looked bright and lively. After Nathan Thomas missed a sitter (decent save by Adam Collin) - I felt Notts look very likely to score. Instead of committing a few players forward, we actually had attacking players and we look good for a spell.

This was until we scored, then we parked the bus back. Isolated Kristian Dennis and never properly pushed for a second.

Notts grew quite tired of chasing everything, as the main players doing a lot of running - i.e Dennis, Hewitt, Jones seemed knackered and this gave Carlisle a sense that they could get something. Honestly after they scored, I feel they should have won the game because they played some restless stuff.

Chettle IS NOT a talented manager, I feel sorry for him but he's utterly clueless and anyone who says otherwise wouldn't have seen what the 4k attending yesterday did.

• Like 2

why chettle did not throw the young striker on when we was 1-0 up i dont know.

the way we defended was okay but it always looked likely notts would concede one goal. it feels like a loss with how negative he had us setup, he had notts playing worse than jamie fullarton.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris said:

First half Notts defended with 9 players plus the keeper.

We couldn't string a pass really and Steve Chettle had the defensive line far too deep. Defensively Notts got lucky, as Carlisle United moved the ball nicely and created some good chances which they're guilty of being very wasteful of. I felt they look very confident until they struck the ball but a lot of praise for me should be given to Jamie Turley who battled and tried to win everything.

In the second half Notts always do better when they attack the Kop.

Chettle claims he changed things but this isn't true, we started off exactly the same as we ended the first half but grew in confidence as the game progressed, When Notts started knocking on the door, we looked bright and lively. After Nathan Thomas missed a sitter (decent save by Adam Collin) - I felt Notts look very likely to score. Instead of committing a few players forward, we actually had attacking players and we look good for a spell.

This was until we scored, then we parked the bus back. Isolated Kristian Dennis and never properly pushed for a second.

Notts grew quite tired of chasing everything, as the main players doing a lot of running - i.e Dennis, Hewitt, Jones seemed knackered and this gave Carlisle a sense that they could get something. Honestly after they scored, I feel they should have won the game because they played some restless stuff.

Chettle IS NOT a talented manager, I feel sorry for him but he's utterly clueless and anyone who says otherwise wouldn't have seen what the 4k attending yesterday did.

The way you describe the match tallies with the conclusion I came to while listening to the radio almost exactly.

I can't be the only Notts fan that pondered how the hell Carlisle wasn't winning by 2 or more goals before half time? I am surprised Notts even scored by how they played, a good brief spell where they looked confident and good on the ball. Yet it was only short lived, I never thought Notts would have found the net.

A draw seems lucky to me.

• Like 1