Off On Our Travels For A Few Days

Supporter+

Apologies if I'm not around for a few days we are off in our van for a little camping jaunt later today. The forecast is looking good, I'm just wondering whether to take the BBQ am I being over optimistic?

Good luck Notts on Friday I'll be desperately trying to get a signal on my phone to see how we doing.YOUPIES

Supporter+

What about your predictions? Should we assign you random scores? It might be an improvement......LOL.....

Hope the weather's better wherever you are Tony.Enjoy your break.

Supporter+

What about your predictions? Should we assign you random scores? It might be an improvement......LOL.....

Cheeky beggar but you're probably right, if I hadn't managed to get on today I would nominate Granny to predict for me.

Supporter+

We are in the Derbyshire hills, the weather was awful yesterday on our way up here and during the night we could hear it drumming on the roof of the van.

Today it has been lovely, we are here with friends and have been for a nine mile walk ( well more a route march really :biggrin:) that was just about my limit I was ready for a sit down when we got back.

Off down the local pub for a meal tonight, it's got some good real ale so looking forward to that. The couple we are with are good company and the chap is a Rams fan so plenty of football talk.

Wish I was with you,Tony.I used to love walking in my own county especially when there was a pint or two to look forward to.Nice to know you're in good company too.

A change of tack here from Tony ,admitting to Granny's superior predicting skills. :biggrin:

Supporter+

A change of tack here from Tony ,admitting to Granny's superior predicting skills. :biggrin:

You'll note I didn't say I would nominate you to do my predictions. :biggrin:

Never mind my predictions what about telling us about your trip-location,pubs,etc.I thought you might have blamed Derbyshire for you manflu.

Supporter+

Never mind my predictions what about telling us about your trip-location,pubs,etc.I thought you might have blamed Derbyshire for you manflu.

I thought I put an account of our camping trip but it must have been on facebook, so just for you Mr. Ram, although I am sure no one else is interested. We went to Hayfield camping and caravan club site which is one of our favourites, it nestles in the Derbyshire hills and is ideal for walking, which we love. We joined up with two of our friends from our motorhome forum. We met on line when we were looking for a van which they were looking to buy, we had seen an advert for it and were about to go and view when we noticed it had been sold, it later transpired from our conversations on line that our new friends had bought the van we wanted but luckily for us another van exactly the same came up for sale so we snapped it up. So our friends and us have the same vans with exactly the same spec etc.,

They live in Derby so are quite close to us and we often meet up for a camping trip. Hayfield is a lovely village with quite a few decent pubs but our favourite is George Hotel, which has a range of four different real ales on tap and they do a very nice meal too, so one night we wandered down there, I had a dish I have not tried before which was Lamb Kleftiko which is a Greek dish and is basically a slow cooked lamb in a wine and garlic sauce topped with caraway seed dumplings, it was lovely. We spent the night boring the ladies with football talk, with me being a Notts fan and our friend being a Derby fan.

We also did a couple of lovely walks, one into New Mills which was about 9 miles round trip, which was just about enough for me, I was ready for a sit down when we got back. In New Mills we saw the impressive Millennium Bridge, which I can really describe, you will have to see it, if you haven't really.

The other walk was shorter but more strenuous as we walked over the moors in a circular walk around the surrounding hills, on the way round we managed to find a couple of geocaches hidden. We always like to do Geocaches when we are walking in memory of our late son who was very big into geocaching, we leave a card with his picture in to say we have visited the cache in his memory.

If you have never done geocaching before it's great fun, it's like a treasure hunt and it get's you out and about in the countryside and fresh air.

The weather was very good on our camping trip so we were lucky, the campsite was quiet, lots of bird life, we could hear owls hooting at night. All in all we had a great time.

Thanks Tony,you've satisfied my curiosity.Glad you had a nice break. :thumbsup:

Archived