Coventry City ground uncertainty

cheeky~k8

They'll move back to Northampton or find somewhere else, I agree they messed up selling the ground.

Not allowed to move out of the city as they’ve done it already. FL rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pretty poor but never sell your stadium, they could have rented it themselves and kept the rights. i have no bad feelings about coventry and i hope they sort it out.

Chairman owned the stadium at Highfoeld rd. they never owned the Ricoh.

Coventry City need to convince the EFL where they will be playing next season because they have been in a legal battle with rugby team The Wasps for years over playing at Ricoh Arena. They play be out of the league if they fail to do that.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/47331084

This has been known for 6 months. BBC just caught up as usual.

Best thing for Cov is to quit and start again. Only way they’ll get away from their appalling owners.

Moral is, don’t allow your club to be owned. Be a club not a saleable good.

2 hours ago, magpiejue said:

Do you think if the FA/FL can sort something out for Coventry and their ground problems, they should also sort something out to stop the Worlds Oldest Football League Club from being relegated, if it comes to this? 🤔

I suspect not, Notts aren't that lucky.

Coventry City will be fine though, you just know it.

I have no idea on the rules of moving bk, i guess there best option is to solve the ground issue with rocoh

Wasps aren’t going to allow a club who is suing them to play at their ground

They need to just find their own ground, surely this should have been a step for them? It sounds a dangerous situation to be in but they may find a Non League club nearby.

Their owners want the Ricoh.

3 hours ago, ivansneck said:

Wasps aren’t going to allow a club who is suing them to play at their ground

Their owners want the Ricoh.

The dissagreement has been ongoing since 2014 so can't see it as that much of an issue.

I'm not a fan of the Ricoh myself, but Coventry don't need a new ground. They need new owners. I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel at all.

Coventry City never owned the Ricoh Arena - it was owned by a charitable trust. As the only tenant, CCFC paid a very high rent for the stadium (well into seven figures).

This situation made the club interesting for their current owner, a hedge fund. They were never interested in the welfare of the club, but they were (IMO) very, very keen on owning the stadium and extracting all that lovely rent from the club. Of course, the problem was that they didn't own the stadium. By withholding the stadium rent from the Alan Higgs Trust and dragging them into a years-long dispute they allegedly aimed to starve the trust of its only source of income, forcing it to go to the wall and enabling CCFC's owners to pick up the stadium for a song. What they didn't expect was for Wasps to buy the ground out of the blue. Hence another court case to prise the stadium away from Wasps again.

The thing is, Coventry's deal to play at the Ricoh expires at the end of this season. Of course, while this is going on, Wasps will not renew that deal.

They will be only out for themselves. I guess its a situation a little like when the rugby team were playing on notts pitch for a short period of time before they finally left. As a pitch it cudn't handle rugby and football week in week out. Is that why they need to find somewhere new?

Archived