How has Nottingham changed as a city over the years?

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

How has Nottingham changed as a city over the years?

During my last visit, everywhere had changed. I noticed a lot of the little things such as the market square and pubs which are no longer there. I thought it would be an interesting topic, to see how members of PON reminisce about Nottingham itself.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

clifton has changed a fair bit, a lot of investment has come into the area with the tram coming this way.

i dont really remember much different about the city centre, it will be a shame to see broadmarsh change. i am still unsure if this is for the better or not, it was a decent place to browse if you needed something until they started losing the businesses and charging silly fees.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

Busier, more traffic and noisier. Much harder to just relax in nowadays... Its become more about shopping and drinking.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It's changed massively, I don't think certain parts has been for the better either.

The market squad changes was more a cash grab to create space for the events Nottingham hosts, don't get me wrong, these can be nice but the re-design isn't as good. All that talk of making it flatter to put off skaters, well, there's more hovering around more than ever. Victoria Centre's remodelling just creates more open space and the illusion of grandness. That massive screen in front of the main entrance, is a disaster waiting to happen.

I mean it looks better, but it's not in the grand scheme of things.

It's just something that's been done to attract more shoppers and, the place is already busy.

What's happened to the Broadmarsh should be considered a crime. I'm not sure how the plans will improve anything, it just seems to push the retail/typical shops closer to Vic Centre.

It's good that Nottingham is actively tackling the cities carbon footprint.

Becoming a smarter, more robust city is great. The amount of places to eat in the city centre is good.

Yet locally, there's been the biggest changes. It's not as bad, it changes from good to bad, to good. I used to feel extremely proud to say I am from Nottingham, but less so now.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,770
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

The tragic planning of Broad Marsh and Victoria shopping centres now showing  their age. If HS2 was rerouted through Nottingham, the old Victoria station could be resurrected with some modern urban style.

Actually the tram has been a catalyst for the better, hence Gedling wishing to be connected on any eastward expansion

The biggest challenges still remain in improving the deprived areas... but successive central governments have never released sufficient funds to help these communities directly.

Still waiting for the monorail to Meadow Lane😀

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  15

Broadmarsh has been rubbish for years, it started to decline in the early 90's.

It had to be finished off, otherwise it would have continued to be that street dog you see who hasn't eaten in weeks and just weeks away from being put down.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,728
  • Days Won:  27

On 13/01/2020 at 14:20, liampie said:

clifton has changed a fair bit, a lot of investment has come into the area with the tram coming this way.

i dont really remember much different about the city centre, it will be a shame to see broadmarsh change. i am still unsure if this is for the better or not, it was a decent place to browse if you needed something until they started losing the businesses and charging silly fees.

It's becoming somewhere outsiders now want to live! 🤣

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

@CliftonMagpie Clifton has always had a bad rap from outsiders, anyone who lives there will know how much a community there is here.

Archived