Newcastle's black and white kits

As I was bored, I spent some time reading the excellent Notts County FC and the Birth of Modern Football by Darrin Foss (buy it!) and discovered a bit of a gem.

It was the early 1890s and Notts had recently adopted black and white kits after the Football League had appealed to several clubs to change away from blue to prevent kit clashes. The change doesn't seem to have been popular at first and many club members wanted to see a return to chocolate and blue.

In an early round of the FA Cup, Notts were away to Sunderland while Forest were playing at home to Newcastle East End. Trouble is, both our beloved neighbours and Newcastle played in red. As change kits weren't yet quite "in", there was a bit of a discussion about who should wear red, and Forest were ultimately allowed to wear their home colours as they were the first team to wear red. Luckily for Newcastle many Notts members were in attendance, and thanks to one of them the visitors were able to take to the field resplendent in black and white.

Fast forward a couple of years and East End had become United, with the renamed team formally adopting black and white as their colours. And maybe we had something to do with it too :)

Supporter+
1 hour ago, 51Magpie said:

Pity we didn't leave them playing in their underwear, while we went on to do what they've done since!

Yep, their haul is:

4 League Titles

6 FA Cups

1 Charity Shield

1 Inter Cities Fairs Cup (UEFA Cup)

1 INTERTOTO Cup 

Still they have never won the Anglo Italian Cup and Notts have, so at least there's that 🙂

5 hours ago, Dripsey3 said:

Still they have never won the Anglo Italian Cup and Notts have, so at least there's that

Newcastle were the only English side to win the "original" Anglo-Italian Cup, in 1973. Hmm... how did we get on in the Notts Senior Cup?

Supporter+
On 05/06/2020 at 19:33, DangerousSausage said:

Newcastle were the only English side to win the "original" Anglo-Italian Cup, in 1973. Hmm... how did we get on in the Notts Senior Cup?

OK it seems we have to count that. Sigh...........

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know about this myself, so I found it to be quite a cool piece of history shared.

A few years back, Notts had to wear their shirts inside-out - I don't recall if this was a friendly but it seems the gesture these days goes missing. Does anyone remember the game I'm thinking about?

Archived