PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,283
  • Days Won:  80

Playoff final - Sulphurites

Team: Harrogate

Date: 02/08/2020

Where: Wembley

What line-up should Neal Ardley opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,141
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm not nervous, it's a bit strange because I did feel it leading into Barnet.

I think Harrogate will want to counter attack us on the break, they have a very good offensive lineup but woes at the back. I caught the commentator in the game against Boreham Wood mention how they didn't have a defender on the bench. So, I can't see them setting up to go for it - I think they'll be patient and try to get as much time on the ball as possible.

Only real changes I think would make sense, is Tom Crawford for Mitch Rose.

Then if Kristian Dennis isn't 100%, give Wes Thomas the nod and bring Denno on from the bench once Harrogate tire out.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

Like a few on here, it would’ve been my first opportunity to see Notts at Wembley. It’s bittersweet in a way, as moments like this are what being a fan is all about. Who knows maybe we’ll get a chance to go with the FA Vase *desperately clutches at straws*.

As for the team, I expect at least one-surprise to it. Enzio back in? Thomas/Wilson upfront for more pace? Maybe. I’ve full confidence in whatever the team and tactics NA picks and it won’t be through lack of planning, effort or desire if we don’t win.

I don't want to tempt fate by predicting the score, I know what I hope the score will be… Both teams are pretty closely matched I think there’ll only be a goal in it.

Anyone know if it goes to extra-time or straight to pens? I think with our squad/subs extra-time would favour us. Straight to pens would be unbearable...

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,935
  • Days Won:  162

i think if notts can play a little more direct than they did against barnet, but defend and show the same energy the team will do well.

i can see harrogate being tight at the back but expressive when attacking so there should be space created our more creative players could take advantage of. i cant wait.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

It’s a really weird one for me. I’ve been lucky enough to attend all the Wembley games before and loved the build up as well as the day itself. 
This time seems a little downbeat? As Chris said above, I was quite nervous going into the Barnet game and it was always there approaching on the calendar. The final is just sort of upon us imo. 
Hope we play to the best of our ability and get out of the blocks quickly. Vital to have a go at them and let them know we mean business. 
Difficult team selection though. Most would have Enzio any day of the week at a Wembley game, but after last week and JoBs performance? Tough call for Neil.

Hopefully writing this will get me more excited about it. Such a shame that the first trip to Wembley for donkeys years has been snatched away from all the younger supporters, but the situation is as it is. Football is just a game. Covid-19 is a life changer for some families.

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

By now we all know that Neal Ardley doesn't automatically pick an unchanged team just because we won the last game. That could work to our advantage this time - we'll keep Harrogate guessing until an hour before kick-off. I think he'll pick JOB ahead of Enzio, I've always had a feeling that he'd be our man at Wembley. Enzio has been given the nod a lot this season as our unpredictable creative firecracker, but now Roberts offers that too. It's a great problem to have though.

12 hours ago, Feral Fox said:

This time seems a little downbeat?

You're so right Mr Fox, it's weird. I wasn't there for the Warnock promotions, but I was there for Bradford in 1996 - and I remember it vividly (and it's curious that Mark Stallard will be our co-commentator this time after scoring Bradford's second that year - hopefully he'll be on the winning side again). I've been desperate to return to Wembley since then and put it right. At this stage we'd be talking about tickets, where we were all sitting, travel arrangements, and we'd all have a sleepless night knowing we'd be getting up early to head down the M1. Then there'd be Wembley Way, old men selling giant rosettes (at least they did in the 90s) and outrageous drinks prices to moan about. But it is what it is, and frankly I never thought we'd even get the chance. So tomorrow my in-laws are coming over to celebrate Eid (which mostly seems to entail eating lots) and I'll have my earphones in, listening to it all unfolding on the radio. It just feels a bit unreal.

• Like 1

i think the game will end up narrow, with on goal being the decider. i am hopeful that the goal is scored by notts.

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,470
  • Days Won:  15

I don't know about anyone else, I don't fear Harrogate and neither should the Notts squad. Nothing taken away from them for reaching the final, both teams have been superb but I have faith in the quality of the squad. I can see them changing their tactics in game, as they try to suss us out.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

The first 10 to 20 minutes will say a lot, I would like to see Notts hold the ball and create a little more, Harrogate will want to control the game as much as possible. Notts has to shock their defence and take it to them.

It's the big day!! Let's do this Notts,

I think the game will finish 2-1, although I really would hope that we can avoid conceding. If it goes to penalties, I really don't know if I could take that. Right now, I still don't have any nerves or worries. Very much quietly confident.

• Like 1

at 2pm i will be putting bt sports on.

im watching the game on my own but will be with other fans in spirit watching over the lads at wembley. i hope some of the younger players see this as a chance to go back to the biggest stadiums because that is something which can drive players.

• Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

I don't know, I am very nervous because its the biggest stage for the club to be playing at. Wembley could inspire the players or make them nervous, I just hope nobody does a Stevie G and slips up, because no matter who it is, some fans will turn on them.

On the positive side, most look fired up and motivated.

I think it will be a close game, 1-0 maybe.

Harrogate have gone for it, they're closing down and pressing well. It's forcing Notts to be penned back, and it's difficult to pass. Notts needs to revert to using the width, and drawing their players out more. This would give us more time to pick a pass, but it's a little disappointing to be honest.

It's currently 1-0, very poor goal to concede but credit to the work rate of Harrogate.

Ben Turner hasn't bee great, but I think the midfield needs to do more to push them back.

Mitch Rose needs to go off at half time, I'd rather risk bringing Tom Crawford on because we should be much better on the ball. Please, Notts!! Stop hoofing the ball!!

I think the 'good feel factor bubble' that has been around our club has burst, losing doesn't need to resort to any sort of meltdown. Once most fans get behind the upset, I think less knee jerk reactions will come.

Harrogate deserved the win.

They played better, they wanted it more and their game plan literally made it difficult for Notts. It's disappointing but I can move on, fair play to Harrogate for playing football, and for going for it. They scarily coped with pressing and chasing everything for 90 minutes

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

I don’t think we need to meltdown. Losing is always difficult, even more so at Wembley after this season, but strangely, I’m upset, but ok with it. I suppose not being there today makes it even more surreal. 

I do think fresh blood and younger blood is now needed though. As you said above, Crawford in the middle with a workhorse maybe?

Turner was all over the place, but we have Rawlinson. 
I’m not a fan of Brindley and today did nothing to help that opinion..

I think Doyle and Rose as a pairing are finished now.

I expect Wes Thomas to be done too.

but...

I see all of that as an opportunity for us to build securely. The lads have done superbly and credit goes to the owners and Ardley for throwing a squad together as short notice this time last year.

Now we need to implement more of the sensible plans such as the Cal Roberts signing etc...Ardley knows what he’s doing and I’ve got faith in him bringing us back stronger.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Well that was galling. I'd convinced myself that this was a free shot at promotion - I never expected the play-offs to take place, and I didn't really think we'd reach them after last summer. In a way we've been underdogs all season, with extremely low expectations for a club our size. But that doesn't make it hurt any less. In the first half we froze like a rabbit in the headlights just like in 1996 and we gave ourselves a mountain to climb. Only NA knows what he was thinking changing our regular defensive pairing, but it's not as if Turner was the only one to struggle.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

Absolutely gutted. Harrogate did to us what we did to Barnet. Harrogate won pretty much every second ball and just did not let us get our passing game going.

Everyone can criticise and pick the team after the game, but yeah in hindsight I think to combat the pressing we needed another man in middle to help us get more control of the game. The second half team was better, aside from no Rawlinson for Turner, Thomas and Enzio offered more threat. The 3rd goal absolutely killed us (and me) though. 

I agree we've got to take the positives from it, we'd have all absolutely taken a Wembley final if we were offered it back in September. Here's to hoping we can go one better next season...