Havant and Waterlooville v Notts ( match video)

Piethagoram

i cant get used to seeing highlights like these they are so poor, its hard to make out what is happening and its very frustrating. on top it just shows how far we have fallen, the national league needs to step up their professionalism. i know the footage is filmed by notts, but if the highlights were handled like the football league then at least you could make things out a lot clearer. does anyone know if bt sports covers the fa trophy?

when havant went 2-1 up it looked like the goal was very soft but its hard to tell. set pieces do seem to be our weakness, nobody marking or willing to try to head the ball away.

I remember when NA said in Q & A about why he has everyone back to defend corners - to restrict the space and therefore make it harder for the opposition to make runs, equally this can also cause our players to be blocked/get in the way of one another and that seems to be the case here!

I can remember another manger saying he used to put 3 players on the halfway line, most opposition would then leave 4 back so not to be outnumbered and that meant they only had to worry about 5/6 players attacking the corner!

You’re never going to stop goals from set-pieces, but players tracking their man so they can’t get a free header is a must…

As for the pens they were all pretty good, JO’B was unlucky but the placement from everyone else was perfect. And Pilling did really well to get down and make those saves, they weren't bad pens from the Havant players!

6 hours ago, liampie said:

i cant get used to seeing highlights like these they are so poor, its hard to make out what is happening and its very frustrating. on top it just shows how far we have fallen, the national league needs to step up their professionalism.

I really had to squint to see that too, but Havant play in the Conference South so there's only so much professionalism you can expect ;) The stands are also all quite low, so the vantage point isn't very high and it isn't really worth their while to build a scaffold to take video coverage from. The live stream people at SV Waldhof here in Germany did some really high-quality camera work for home games, but when they were more or less filming from pitch level away from home the results looked very much like the video above.

@menzinho, I totally agree. I've always thought that bringing everyone back for defensive corners was a self-defeating strategy and nothing will chance my mind. How on earth can it be in our interests to have a crowded penalty area?

Thanks for the link, that's the first I've seen of the game.  I know this competition isn't to everyone's taste, but we have been drawn at home to Oxford City (remember them?) in the quarter final.  If we beat them, we are one game away from a Wembley final.

I thought Notts did well to open the game up but went backwards with their defending, once Havant scored I felt like "here we go". It wasn't long until they got a second but the win on penalties will feel good.

Archived