Match Discussion: Game 42 - The U's (H)

PON_News

Game 42 - The U's (H)

Team: Sutton United

Date: 03/05/2021

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Neal Ardley opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

Anyone out there genuinely think we'll win it? 

Really not looking forward to this game as I can only see it ending one way. It's just a case how many goals will they get... Pfft. I'll say 2-0 Sutton. I don’t bet but I’m genuinely tempted.

Imagine if we win though… Nope, I can’t actually imagine it.

5-3 to Notts. Goalie Michael Doyle struggles in the first half and is replaced by Jimmy Knowles at half time, who steadies the ship. We turn it around in the second half with a scintillating display of attacking verve. Paul Bolland will score two, along with goals from Bob Catlin, Shergar and that Miller bloke (when attempting a back pass).

Burchnall will say we played well in the second half. 

I have a feeling we might just sneak an undeserved point.  After Torquay's win today, it's a game Sutton can't really afford to lose.  Hopefully the pressure will get to them and after being outplayed, we manage a late equaliser.

Supporter+

If the players adopt the same attitude as they did against Altrincham, this could get ugly. I expect they won't because Sutton are a step up and they won't under estimate them. We won at their place back in October. Easily one of the best results we had this season. Notts are not in a good place right now. Either we'll get a big boost with a win or the cloud of gloom will grow after another demoralizing defeat. Or we could draw and be happy enough. I'll go for a draw. 

Good result, determination shown to get the win even by going to 10 men.

Some of the comments I read on Facebook about Sutton had me bemused, I've seen them about 5 times this season and they've always given a good account of themselves. I think it's a positive but we can't read to much into it - at least it leaves the playoffs with a glimmer of a chance.

Like I said pre-match, never doubted them! 😆🤣

That’s just us in a nutshell though. Arguably the best team in the league and we get a well-deserved win. 1st half was pretty even, a couple of good moves from us but Sutton looked more dangerous - Olaofe pretty much had the beating of D-KE and Rawlo that entire half.

And then 2nd half, all us really. Should we consider playing the rest of the season with 10 men? We were on top before the red but then we went on and completely bossed it. Have to say it was incredibly unlucky neither Sam’s or Wootton’s efforts didn’t count… Luckily it didn’t matter in the end.

And I'm really pleased for IB, really tough week with the whole departure and (some) fans starting to get on his back. Whether or not you think he should have replaced Ardley you never want someone to come in and struggle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, menzinho said:

(some)

There's a lot on social media, I hope it does work out but it's still a disappointing hiring/start.

Fingers crossed Burchnall can get an experienced assistant behind him come the end of the season. Experience could make a difference in speeding up his learning curve.

• Like 1

good win, lifted some pressure off ian burchnall who appeared much calmer in his press conference. spoke well about the game and how we performed with just 10 men. i am not sure why some fans are berating dke for getting sent off.

these things do happen unfortunately and he usually does much better.

12 minutes ago, liampie said:

i am not sure why some fans are berating dke for getting sent off.

these things do happen unfortunately and he usually does much better.

Because he is already on a yellow, had still been giving fouls away and then flies into a challenge where he's unlikely to get the ball.  You could see it coming an absolute mile off. 

9 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Because he is already on a yellow, had still been giving fouls away and then flies into a challenge where he's unlikely to get the ball.  You could see it coming an absolute mile off. 

it happens, sometimes you have to cut people a bit of slack. as obvious as it was, hes still by far one of the most hardworking players we have.

• Like 1