Looking to Next Season - Who to Keep?

Super_Danny_Allsopp

Some still think we're in with a chance of playoffs. I don't.

So to keep me sane, I'll look forward to next season. The below doesn't take account if they are loan players or the length of their current contract.

Goalkeepers

Slocombe - Keep - He's a very good keeper for this level, even if he does have his moments. Only worry is that he does tend to miss a few weeks every season through injury.

Pilling - Get rid - Good shot stopper, not good enough being able to dominate his area and a massive accident waiting to happen with his feet. We need a solid backup for when Slocombe is injured.

Steele - Get rid - Beaten consistently from distance. Kicking dodgy. 

Defenders

DKE - Keep - He needs to work on the attacking part of his game as a modern fullback. However, being able to play both fullback positions aids him and he's more than good enough for rotation.

Brindley - Keep - He's a dependable, 6-7 out of 10, every game. Miss him when he's injured.

Rawlinson - Keep - Not as steady this season, but often played in formations he isn't comfortable with. Him and Lacey are our starting CBs.

Lacey - Keep - Class above. 

Ellis - Keep - If we can sign him, I think we should. In a better side, the three CBs rotating with eachother will be right up there in this league. 

Turner - Get rid - Accident waiting to happen. Not even adequate backup. 

McCrory - Get rid - Like him as a player, but we can't keep him on the pitch often enough.

Chicksen  - Get rid - He's OK for backup. Would depend on wages. Not good enough for me to be our starting LB.

Barnett - Get rid - Terrible footballer.

Midfield

Roberts - Keep - This one is obvious. Really hope he can sort his injury issues out.

Rodrigues - Keep - He's a very good footballer who can unlock defences given the chance. We need to find a formation and system that suits him.

Enzio - Keep - He'll be on top wages and he's just so inconsistent that I can't justify keeping him on those wages, but if he will take a big wage cut, then we should keep him.

Doyle - Keep - I think he has another season in him. However, not to start every game as he has this season.

Reeves - Get rid - Neat and tidy in passing sideways and backwards, but there's plenty of players that can do that. Doesn't have the quality going forward or the nastiness defensively to boss a midfield.

Griffiths - Get rid - Haven't seen enough to be convinced he's good enough, even as backup.

JOB - Get rid - I like JOB, but he's probably on decent wages and he has been a bit-part player. Need more legs in this league.

Forwards

Wootton - Keep - He can't do it on his own, but his hold up play is very good. Shouldn't have to be the only striker that can play his role.

Knight - Keep - He's not ready yet, but can be an impact sub.

Knowles - Get rid - He can finish, but his other parts of his play are really poor.

Sam - Get rid - Massive disappointment. Runs about like a headless chicken - doesn't seem to understand tactics or instructions.

23 in total not including youth. I've kept 12... about half. That's a big turnover of players.

I agree with @Super_Danny_Allsopp except for:

Enzio - release, though if he is prepared to play for NL wages then keep

Doyle - release , we need a Bishop / O'Connor type player. Would also give us height at defending set pieces too

If Burchnall survives and wants to play a back 3, then Rawlinson would need to go, as he is not comfortable on the ball

1 hour ago, Piethagoram said:

I agree with @Super_Danny_Allsopp except for:

Enzio - release, though if he is prepared to play for NL wages then keep

Doyle - release , we need a Bishop / O'Connor type player. Would also give us height at defending set pieces too

If Burchnall survives and wants to play a back 3, then Rawlinson would need to go, as he is not comfortable on the ball

I originally had Enzio to be released, but changed when I realised I only had 11 left 😀

Agree - to be kept only on NL  wages, else released. 

I sincerely hope this 5 at the back goes soon. 

Michael Doyle is part of our existing issue, no one-off excellent performance can't disguise the fact the centre of midfield requires legs.

This should've been the season where he played more of an impact role.

There're some fans who refer to him as being the fittest player, he's not. He can play against some teams at this level for 90 minutes, but nowhere near reliable enough as someone who goes missing in key areas once he does slow down.

Here's my list:

Goalkeepers

Slocombe - Keep - Underrated somewhat, it annoys me to see people say he's injury prone - if the defence did their jobs he wouldn't struggle at times, but he's a good keeper at this level.

Pilling - Get rid -Awful, awkward and not tall enough.

Steele - N/A - I can't comment on his performance but I'd prefer a younger keeper between 23-25 to be sound who is good enough to replace Slocombe when needed.

Defenders

DKE - Keep - Deserves to stay, I can actually see him leaving though. A good consistent player that gives everything, despite some unfair critisim at times.

Brindley - Keep - Good player at this level.

Rawlinson - Keep - Good enough, the player who could take over the full time captaincy from Doyle.

Lacey - Keep - He needs to be settled into the squad more, but if he goes, we'll be losing a very good defender who can only get better.

Ellis - Get rid - He's done well but younger legs are needed IMO. If he's content being a part player, as backup he might be worth keeping but his wages I imagine would make this a no-go.

Turner - Get rid - His times run out, I don't fault him but his playing days are almost finished.

McCrory - Keep - Good enough once he regains fitness, a good player going forward and somewhat reliable in defence.

Chicksen  - Get rid - Not worth trying to keep him.

Barnett - Get rid - Better out there.

Midfield

Roberts - Keep - He'll be back and stronger than ever, his type of players usually use their injury issues to be a better player.

Rodrigues - Keep - Not even debatable - a game changer with the right support.

Enzio - Get rid - Not a good player, overlooked due to his flash in the pan type goals but there's better out there. A weaker winger who gives 100% all the time would be a wiser choice, waste of wages and starting place. Sam Osborne for example would've run with Enzio's opportunity. I can't see Notts being better with him still in the squad.

Doyle - Get rid - Keep him? Nah... The worlds mad if actual fans think he's worth keeping.

Reeves - Keep - He's become an escape goat and is suffering a run of poor form, yet Reeves is a very good player and one that would benefit from pace around him. If Doyle, O'Brien, Enzio all go, he should do better with the things that makes him tick.

Griffiths - Get rid - He won't becoming back.

JOB - Get rid - I hate to say it, but it's not worth keeping him if he's to be a part player. Younger options should be explored, but if Doyle does go - it might create space for him and his experience would be a miss (more so than the saviour Doyle).

Forwards

Wootton - Keep - I laughed when I read calls for him to go on FB/Twitter, he's a striker and someone who could be moulded into a 15-20 goal per season player (especially if younger legs are behind him - creativity is key).

Knight - Keep - Will only get better in time, his pace is scary and with more creative players he could be lethal upfront.

Knowles - Get rid - He won't be coming back, but if Notts could sign him for a reasonable fee - I'd welcome it.

Sam - Keep - He needs more game time and is another player I feel would benefit from having creative, young midfielders behind him.

Supporter+

Enzio is arguably the most talented player in this division but he doesn't produce the goods week in, week out. If he does leave, I expect he'll be picked up by another Conference side. My money is on Southend. 

Knight replaces Knowles I reckon. Then possibly another loanee to replace Knowles. 

Next season is going to be difficult. We'll have around 6 or 7 serious challengers. 

I’d agree with most of what @Super_Danny_Allsopp has posted...

Everyone seems to have forgotten about Miller - but I guess that speaks volumes! 😆

Reeves – IB & MR seem to rate him so I can’t actually see him departing.

Ellis – If we are going to play 3 at the back going forward (I hope not); Yes. As part of a two in back 4; No. For me he’s not mobile enough for how (I think) IB wants to play.

I’m still undecide on a few…

Sam – He’s so frustrating to watch… He has the capabilities go past full-backs I and so want to see him do it. I just wish he was more determined and aggressive and actually used his size to his advantage. I don’t think playing him upfront does him any favours.

Chicksen – Left back has been a problem position all season so why was he so overlooked until IB came in?

Doyle – The big one… I think I’d be okay with him as 3rd/4th choice but not a regular starter, he’s a great pro and role model for the younger players. I think if we do get rid of the likes of Turner, O’Brien and McCrory I’d be more inclined to keep him.

I'll also stick up for Knowles, it'll be interesting to see if he gets a go at Mansfield next season, but considering it’s his first spell in men’s football I think he’s done alright. A natural finisher, and he’s definitely improved since the start of the season. I think in a few years’ time he could be a really decent striker.

Sam and Knowles don't have the necessary close control to hold the ball up. Sam is perhaps best in the Enzio position, picking up in midfield and running at people. What is more frustrating with Sam is the needless free kicks given away and his non aggressiveness in heading the ball.

So glad you've posted this as it can open a lot of cans of beans in terms of debate 

Slocombe - Keep - Has his moments of sloppiness but has kept us in games with tremendous saves. Experienced hand 

Pilling - Keep - Fine back up to have. Good shot stopper just needs work on his kicking. Saves penalties as well

Steele - Get rid - On a deal till the end of the season is fine. Nothing more. He's 36 and we've got Brooks coming on strong

Kelly-Evans - Keep - Grafts his socks off and has the fight in him that we need. Work on his forward play and we've got ourselves a player

Brindley - Keep - Good player on his day but needs to step it up again, now DKE has got back to being the #1 right-back. Intriguing battle lies ahead

Lacey - Keep - Best ball playing centre half we have. On his day, he is a class above NL level but would help if we had a fitness coach at the club

Rawlinson - Keep - An absolute warrior at the back for us. Hasn't had it great recently and sometimes isn't too good on the ball but is a fighter

Turner - Get rid - Too many errors in him and slow. You can tell since the start of this calendar year he's been playing his last days of his career

McCrory - Get rid - May be popular in the dressing room but if we are going to challenge for top spot consistently next term, we can't have a guy who spends the entire season on the treatment table

Chicksen - Get rid - He may have been a regular in the side recently but he's not good enough over the full course of a season. Mistake prone and too inconsistent for a promotion winning team

Barnett - Get rid - Another who is too mistake prone and I worry about every time an opposition team run down his side

Doyle - Get rid - Maybe keep on as a coach. However, we need younger legs in midfield and whilst he has his days of brilliance, we can't keep relying on a 39 year old Doyle from season to season, to pull the strings

Reeves - Get rid - I don't think we have a choice with Jake. I reckon he'll still be here next season due to his contract. His style of sideways first has to be binned. We bought him in to be the guy who was going to help the attack and make runs forward. Been so disappointing.

O'Brien - Get rid - Started off his Notts career well but his influence in games has waned. His best years are behind him and I don't really know how he impacts games anymore.

Boldewijn - Get rid - On his day, he is an excellent player but we haven't seen that Enzio at Notts. So much excitement but has never hit them high levels we expected. We need more consistent players if we are to be promoted. Can't have players, play well 1 in 8 and be ok with it.

Roberts - Keep - Is this even worth an explanation?

Sam - Keep - This was the toughest decision. He has been inconsistent but he's now had that year of getting used to English football. Could be useful in a front 3 if nurtured

Rodrigues - Keep - A fine player with quick feet and has a moment of magic in him when we need it. Has had a year to get used to the rigors of English football. When we get going, he will be a fine baller

Wootton - Keep - Our talisman this season and whilst he hasn't been great of late, he needs competition and good strike partners like he did when he had Dennis and Thomas

Knight - Keep - A rough diamond and one for the future. Has positives about his play like his running in behind opposition defences. Can be nurtured and coached to work in a two up top, as well as play in a front three.

In terms of loanees, Ellis is the only real one I'd potentially look at but that's a stretch. I think Wolfe would have been decent, if he wasn't so unfortunate with injuries. Showed glimpses of promise but never got a good run in the team. Knowles is not strong enough and is too greedy. More raw than an uncooked steak. Griffiths was a rushed signing at a time when we were running out of centre-mids and Crewe will want him back anyway. 

2 hours ago, menzinho said:

I’d agree with most of what @Super_Danny_Allsopp has posted...

Everyone seems to have forgotten about Miller - but I guess that speaks volumes! 😆

I'll also stick up for Knowles, it'll be interesting to see if he gets a go at Mansfield next season, but considering it’s his first spell in men’s football I think he’s done alright. A natural finisher, and he’s definitely improved since the start of the season. I think in a few years’ time he could be a really decent striker.

I did forget about Miller. He's crap and won't be coming back (thank god!). 

I would bet a fair whack that Knowles doesn't establish himself at Mansfield next season and sooner or later will end up on loan in the conference, where he won't be pulling up many trees either. 

On 03/05/2021 at 08:51, Dripsey3 said:

Enzio is arguably the most talented player in this division but he doesn't produce the goods week in, week out. If he does leave, I expect he'll be picked up by another Conference side. My money is on Southend.

he would fall quite short now that we have better players, its not that he does not produce the goods week in and out. i dont think he does that often, his first season was a flop in my opinion and going back most have said the same thing at the time. last year he never got going, this time he has had the odd spell but hes not a winger who takes on players. his crossing and delivery is questionable, and i dont think hes all that talented myself.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/05/2021 at 13:18, menzinho said:

Anyone want to change their opinions! 😉😆

Funny how things can change so quickly; but on current form I'm going to have to make a few amends. I think I'd be looking to keep Ellis, Chicksen and Miller now.

Was thinking about this thread recently!

Will do an update after our last league game on Saturday. Play-offs are an emotional rollercoaster, so better to do it before then.  At a quick glance I'd probably change 3 or 4 from 'get rid' to 'keep'. 

Slocombe - 50/50

Pilling - Keep for future

Steele - Out

Kelly-Evans - Keep

Brindley - Keep

Lacey - Keep 

Rawlinson - Keep 

Turner - Out

McCrory - Out

Chicksen - OUT

Barnett - OUT

Doyle - Toooooo old. OUT

Reeves - 50/50

O'Brien - OUT

Boldewijn - 50/50

Roberts - Keep 

Sam - 50/50 Forward must scores more 

Rodrigues - Keep

Wootton - Keep

Knight - No idea

Summary: Notts County needs to build almost new, more talented and younger team 

I’d say, this thread must have had a massive change over past month.

Amazing what a decent manager can do with a team. Do we keep all of them? No. Even a pragmatist would admit we need to revamp, regardless. The problem occurs when you consider where the revamping is needed most. Central defence? I’d expect we’d be struggling to find many saying keep Ben Turner. Rawlinson isn’t comfortable in a back 3. Ellis is a warrior.

The middle is the obvious issue. Doyle and JoB are surely done now. Desperately need players with vision and legs there. A lot also depends on formations.

Miller is superb as a wingback or even straight winger on the left. Where does Cal fit though? Enzio? 
Sam. Get rid. First touch is horrible and lacks control. Maybe he’ll do a Ruben and find the right slot and suddenly be a game changer, but he’s a forward. Needs to score. Can’t see him doing that regularly enough.

I'd change the following from my original post:

Chicksen  - Get rid ---->  Keep. Been brilliant as part of that back 3. Very good on the ball and has an eye for a pass. 

Reeves - Get rid ---->  Keep. He hasn't grabbed the headlines like others since the up-turn in form, but he does very well as a cog in the machine. Does the basics right and isn't flashy. However, we can't be relying on Reeves to be a playmaker or creator - it's just not really in him.

Miller - Get rid ---->  Keep. Whoever told him he could play LB needs to have a word with themselves. Even at WB he has his moments defensively. However, going forward and running at players, he is very dangerous, especially with his pace. Could play as a winger too, I imagine, but NOT a LB.

Enzio - Keep ----> Undecided - Has no consistency. Will pop up and produce great moments, but far too often flatters to deceive. Would have to take a big wage cut to stay for me.

Not mentioned:

Brooks - Keep - Don't know how he's progressed, but heard good things about him last year.

@menzinho I actually have, I thought about changing them after the Weymouth game but I think waiting longer has turned out better.

If Notts can capture Mark Ellis on a permanent deal it's a must.

Michael Doyle could be used as a backup, but I think the wages would be better spent on another player or allowing the space for a younger prospect. I do hope he remains as a coach, as he does seem to have that in him.

Adam Chicksen can still go, would rather see a recognised CB come in.

Enzio Boldewijn I feel could offer something but his wages needs adjusting, I have to assume he's one of our better paid players but this needs to be tweaked if any new deal is struck. I think if we gain promotion he'll remain any who.

Jim O'Brien could do a job still but I think his wages would need reviewing.

Calvin Miller needs sorting as he's a dangerous attacking player when in control of a game, a real joy to watch and he did superb against Weymouth. I think he can keep this against some of the better sides we face with the right players around him.

4 hours ago, Chris said:

@menzinho I actually have, I thought about changing them after the Weymouth game but I think waiting longer has turned out better.

If Notts can capture Mark Ellis on a permanent deal it's a must.

Michael Doyle could be used as a backup, but I think the wages would be better spent on another player or allowing the space for a younger prospect. I do hope he remains as a coach, as he does seem to have that in him.

Adam Chicksen can still go, would rather see a recognised CB come in.

Enzio Boldewijn I feel could offer something but his wages needs adjusting, I have to assume he's one of our better paid players but this needs to be tweaked if any new deal is struck. I think if we gain promotion he'll remain any who.

Jim O'Brien could do a job still but I think his wages would need reviewing.

Calvin Miller needs sorting as he's a dangerous attacking player when in control of a game, a real joy to watch and he did superb against Weymouth. I think he can keep this against some of the better sides we face with the right players around him.

Mate. If you’d seen how calm and collected Chicksen was on Saturday, he’d be first name on the team sheet. Admittedly, might be due to 3 at the back and it’s the better balance for him, whereas Rawlinson is totally lost in a 3.

Enzio is a waste of a wage going forwards. He’s far too erratic. Sublime when confident, not good enough when he’s not. Dice roll to see which it’ll be each half.

Ellis and Miller are definite. Lacey and Ellis at the back in a pair would work as well. 
I assume IB is looking at Chicksen at LB as well during training to see if he could cope there. Hope so, but not for me to judge as since his return, he’s been part of the 3 CB.

Post Torquay thoughts

Slocombe - Keep

Pilling - Out

Steele - Out

Kelly-Evans - Keep

Brindley - Keep

Lacey - Keep 

Rawlinson - I think he will be released, for lack of confidence on the ball 

Turner - Out

McCrory - Out

Chicksen - Keep but maybe released if they think they can find a better defender with footballing ability

Barnett - OUT

Doyle - Player coach but more coach than player

Reeves - Maybe transfer listed?

O'Brien - OUT

Boldewijn - Out, his inconsistency so frustrating

Roberts - Keep 

Sam - Transfer listed 

Rodrigues - Keep ( but likely to be sold)

Wootton - Keep (maybe sold too?)

Knight - No idea

Key issues: defence, physically strong to ensure we dont get exposed to the high ball

A Bishop / O'Connor tall midfield maestro, height to help defence defend set pieces

Alternative centre forward

2 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Bit harsh on O'Brien? I know he's not everybodys cup of tea and was bit-part player under Ardley, but he's nowhere near as bad as Barnett. 

He's nowhere as bad as Barnett...true...but I'm guessing IB will be aiming to drastically lower the age of the squad in all areas of the team. Build a team that can stay together in the main, for a few years. Break the older pro cycle. Doyle was my vote for Player of the Season on here, but I'd be the first one to say he shouldn't play again. On the management team? Fine, but not a player. We need legs, height and legs. Worth putting twice as it's vital we have fast, youthful runners as the main spine of the team.

Archived