National League Transfer Summary

The transfers to and from clubs at this level has quickened the past week or so, with the play-off final having been played and contract renewals well under way. Some of the transfers are quite interesting and relevant for us too. In no particular order:

Torquay

A number of their fans well and truly throwing their toys out of the pram because we signed Cameron, which is probably a good indicator for us. Some strange delusions of grandeur in that fan base, probably because they reached the play-off final and are most likely hurting after throwing the league and then losing the playoff final thanks to a couple of dodgy refereeing decisions. 

They look set to lose Ben Whitfield (Central midfielder/left winger) as his contract is up and he's yet to sign. To whom though is unknown. There has been those on social media trying to say he will sign for us. That'd send Torquay fans into complete meltdown I'd imagine, but more likely to go to the league I think (Bradford rumoured).

Ben Wynter has re-signed (RB), as has Dean Moxley (LB with the long throw), Asa Hall (CB and captain) and Danny Wright. Wynter is only young (23), but the rest, despite having great seasons, are all well into their 30s.  They'll be hoping Aaron Nemane signs a new contract (injured winger). 

Joe Lewis and Connor Lemonheigh-Evans are still contracted, both young and quality players at this level. Not sure on Torquay's financial situation, but those two would require a fee of some sort. 

Lucas Covolan Cavagnari, the keeper who scored and did the antics in the penalty shootout in the play-off final, has joined Port Vale (midtable L2 last season). 

A number  of signings for them to make, but they haven't made any thus far. Not a complete rebuild, but I imagine they were hoping to keep their entire squad together but as we found out the season before, that just doesn't happen. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand their frustrations, seeing yourself being so close to promotion but then unable to maintain the majority of key players does show you have cut-throat this league can be. Thankfully, we've been quite good at retaining players but as I say, I do understand it. It's mostly frustrations and possibly annoyance that is causing Torquay fans to be the way they're but some Notts fans do seem to be baiting reactions.

Next two weeks things should increase as players return from their holidays.

@liampie I would say Woking have signed well. They are moving from part time to full time and so will need to take that next step up. Tom Champion, Rohan Ince and Inih Effiong are all solid operators at National League level. Solomon Nwabuokei has done well for St Albans City as well. 

Grimsby are doing a lot of their business already. Ben Fox is a good signing. John McAtee and Erico Sousa are ones to watch. Southend have brought in a some ex Football League players but ones who have done well at this level previously, like Jack Bridge, Josh Coulson and Rhys Murphy. 

Yeovil look like they are having a bit of a rebuild after last season. Grant Smith was in the team of the year in 2017-18. Solihull's acquisition of Ryan Barnett is an interesting one and I would've liked to have seen him at Meadow Lane.

Dover's recruitment has left me asking whether their financial issues are as bad as they are making out. Ricky Miller, Ben Williamson and Reda Johnson all signed. If they continue to sign players like that, they have a chance of avoiding relegation. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/06/2021 at 15:31, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Torquay

They look set to lose Ben Whitfield (Central midfielder/left winger) as his contract is up and he's yet to sign. To whom though is unknown. 

They'll be hoping Aaron Nemane signs a new contract (injured winger). 

A number  of signings for them to make, but they haven't made any thus far. 

Quick update. Whitfield did leave: to Stockport. 

Aaron Nemane still hasn't signed a new contract.

And Torquay haven't signed anybody.

If that doesn't scream play-off final hangover, I don't know what does. 

On 14/07/2021 at 21:12, Joshua said:

I'm not bothered about other clubs, Dover could sign Messi and I wouldn't care.

I would - because they'd win the league. 

Football leagues, if it needs pointing out, are a competition. That means you have to be better than the other teams (or at least win more points) to be crowned champions. If Notts have a great transfer window but Dover have Messi, Ronaldo, Chiellini and Pickford - we're playing for playoffs. 

All business as of July 16th (First 12 teams alphabetically) 

Aldershot Town
Giles Phillips - Wycombe Wanderers (CB) - Free
Jayden Harris - Fulham (CM) - Free

Altrincham
Marcus Dinanga – Stevenage (ST) – Free 
Brad Jackson – Chester (W) – Free 
Kennedy Digie – Hereford (CB) – Free 

Barnet
Josh Payne – Ebbsfleet United (CM) – Free 
Mason Bloomfield – Hartlepool United (ST) – Free 
Sam Beard – Dorking Wanderers (LB) – Free 
Jake Askew – Wealdstone (GK) – Free 
Jordan Thomas – Norwich City (RB) – Free 
Kian Flanagan – Crystal Palace (CM) – Free 
Josh Doherty – Crawley Town (LB) – Free 
Jamie Turley – Leyton Orient (CB) – Free 
Adam Marriott – Eastleigh (ST) – Free 
Mitch Brundle – Dagenham & Redbridge (CM) – Free 

Boreham Wood
Connor Smith – Wealdstone (W) – Free 
Josh Rees – Aldershot Town (CM) – Free 
Frankie Raymond – Bromley (CM) – Free 
Will Evans – Chesterfield (CB) – Free 
Jacob Mendy– Wealdstone (W/LB) – Free 

Bromley
Corey Whitely – Boreham Wood (W/ST) – Free 
Joe Partington – Eastleigh (RB) – Free 
Sam Skeffington – Millwall (CM) – Free 

Chesterfield
Scott Loach – Barnet (GK) – Free 
Jamie Grimes – Hereford (CB) – Free 
Jeff King – Halifax Town (RB) – Free 
Calvin Miller – Harrogate Town (W/LB) – Free
Jack Clarke – Aston Villa (CM) – Free 
Stefan Payne – Grimsby Town (ST) – Free 
Saidou Khan – Maidstone United (CM) – Free 

Dagenham & Redbridge
Josh Walker – Barnet (ST) – Free 
Sam Ling – Leyton Orient (RB) – Free 

Dover Athletic
Ricky Miller – Aldershot Town (ST) – Free 
Ben Williamson – Bromley (ST) – Free 
Seth Nana Ofori-Twumasi – Maidenhead United (RB) – Free 
Reda Johnson – Free Agent (CB) – Free 
James Caton – Nuneaton Borough (W) – Free 
Khale da Costa – Tonbridge Angels (W) – Free 
Jake Goodman – Ebbsfleet United (CB) – Free 
Aaron Cosgrave – AFC Wimbledon (ST) – Loan 

Eastleigh
Josh Hare – Bristol Rovers (RB) – Free 
Michael Kelly – Bristol Rovers (LB) – Free 
Tom Broadbent – Swindon Town (CB) – Free 

Grimsby Town
Shaun Pearson – Wrexham (CB) – Free 
John McAtee – Scunthorpe United (ST) – Compensation 
Ryan Sears – Shrewsbury Town (RB) – Free 
Ben Fox – Burton Albion (CM) – Free 
David Longe-King – Newport County (CB) – Free 
Erico Sousa – Darlington (W) – Free 
Ryan Taylor – Newport County (ST) – Free 
Michee Efete – Wealdstone (RB) – Free 
Adam Crookes – Port Vale (LB) – Free 
Joel Grant – Swindon Town (W) – Free 

Halifax Town
Billy Waters – Torquay United (ST/W) – Free 
Harvey Gilmour – Stockport County (CM) – Free 

King's Lynn Town
Munash Sundire – St Albans City (CM) – Free 
Paul Jones – Free Agent (GK) – Free 
Junior Morias – St Mirren (ST) – Free 
Pierce Bird – Eastleigh (CB) – Free 
Gold Omotayo – Wrexham (ST) – Free 
Dan Bowry – Cheltenham Town (CB) – Free 
Luis Fernandez – Stevenage (CB) – Loan 

And the other 11 teams

Maidenhead United
Kane Ferdinand – Woking (CM/CB) – Free 
Emile Acquah – Southend United (ST) – Free 
Dylan Asonganyi – Oxford United (ST) – Free 
Will de Havilland – Dover Athletic (CB) – Free 

Notts County
Kyle Cameron – Torquay United (CB) – Free 
Frank Vincent – AFC Bournemouth (CM) – Free 
Joel Taylor – Chesterfield (LB) – Undisclosed 

Solihull Moors
Ryan Barnett – Shrewsbury Town (CAM/W) – Free 
Harry Boyes – Sheffield United (LB) – Loan 

Southend United
James Dunne – Free Agent (CM) – Free 
Jack Bridge – Bromley (CM) – Free 
Josh Coulson – Leyton Orient (CB) – Free 
Rhys Murphy – Yeovil Town (ST) – Free 
Abu Ogogo – Bristol Rovers (CM) – Free 
Steve Arnold – Northampton Town (GK) – Free 

Stockport County
Ben Whitfield – Torquay United (W/CAM) – Free 
Ethan Ross – Lincoln City (GK) – Free 
Scott Quigley – Barrow (ST) – Undisclosed 

Torquay United

Wealdstone
Jack Cook – Woking (RB) – Free 
Rhys Browne – Sutton United (W) – Free 
Andrew Eleftheriou – Dagenham & Redbridge (RB) – Free 
Matt Buse – Torquay United (CM) – Free 
Josh Umerah – Torquay United (ST) – Free 
Nikola Tavares – Crystal Palace (CB) – Free 

Weymouth
Brandon Goodship – Southend United (ST) – Free 
Tom Bearwish – Eastleigh (ST) – Free 
Bradley Ash – Chippenham Town (ST) – Free 
Ross Fitzsimons – Stockport County (GK) – Free 
Tyler Cordner – AFC Bournemouth (CB) – Free 
Akheem Rose – Free Agent (ST/W) – Free 

Woking
Tyreke Johnson – Gillingham (W) – Free 
Inih Effiong – Stevenage (ST) – Free 
Solomon Nwabuokei – St Albans City (CM) – Free 
Joe McNerney – Crawley Town (CB) – Free 
Tom Champion – Boreham Wood (CM/CB) – Free 
Rohan Ince – Maidenhead United (CM) – Free 
George Oakley – Kilmarnock (ST) – Free 
Kyran Lofthouse – Oxford United (W) – Undisclosed 

Wrexham
Liam McAlinden – Morecambe (ST) – Free 
Shaun Brisley – Port Vale (CB) – Free 

Yeovil Town
Morgan Williams – Coventry City (LB) – Free 
Charlie Wakefield – Bromley (W) – Free 
Grant Smith – Chesterfield (GK) – Free 
Mark Little – Bristol Rovers (RB) – Free 
Jordan Barnett – Notts County (LB) – Free 
Lewis Simper – Cambridge United (CM) – Loan 

Some interesting signings there, unless you're Torquay! They've lost a few key players now.

A few clubs have had a quite a large turnover of players, particularly Grimsby and Barnet. And with Torquay needing to add a load maybe getting them and Barnet early will work in our favour. Stockport probably the team with the marquee signings at the moment with Whitfield and Quigley.

Some names that stick out for me (as a lot I've never even heard of!): 
Josh Rees who's gone to Boreham Wood, he'll score goals from midfield, granted he's given licence to get forward.
Ben Fox another good midfielder, now at Grimsby, think the Analysts Bar Pod spoke about him.
Ogogo and Murphy two are very good players at this level for Southend.
Jeff King and Miller will be two very good attacking wing-back options for Chesterfield.

Interesting that Solihull have signed Boyes, think he the LB that was supposed to join us on loan last season... I wonder if we were in for him this time around.

Torquay have announced 7 new signings in 2 hours, which is weird in itself, but hey-ho.

Mark Halstead - Experienced keeper from Morecambe. Looks a good signing as he's played most his career in the league.
Marcin Brzozowski - 22yo inexperienced keeper. Probably their backup.
Ali Omar - 21yo defender from Barnsley, not much information on him. 

Dan Martin - 21 yo left back/winger released by Cardiff. Again, little data on him. 

Tom Lapslie - 25 yo combatative midfielder released by Colchester. Spent his entire career previously with the U's, making 152 appearances mostly in L2. Looks a decent signing for Torquay.

Klaidi Lolos - 21 yo striker released by Plymouth. Made a handful of appearances for them. Another relative unknown. 

Keelan O'Connell - 21 yo winger released by Borunemouth. Again, not a lot of appearances. 

Halstead and Lapslie look like solid signings for Torquay. The others, well, is anybody's guess. 

Unless he knows something most fans of National League clubs don't, Torquay won't win the league. I can see them struggling and finishing lower bottom half of the table. They'd need to make some outstanding signings, to ensure they continue from last season.

PS. Every YouTuber who does football videos (from bigger clubs) claims to support Solihull Moors for some reason. 🤷‍♂️ 

14 hours ago, Chris said:

Unless he knows something most fans of National League clubs don't, Torquay won't win the league. I can see them struggling and finishing lower bottom half of the table. They'd need to make some outstanding signings, to ensure they continue from last season.

PS. Every YouTuber who does football videos (from bigger clubs) claims to support Solihull Moors for some reason. 🤷‍♂️ 

Another prediction from somebody who hasn't a clue what they are talking about. 

There's no way you could place Torquay, who at the time had lost most their best players and signed nobody, at the top. It's just nonsense. 

Supporter+

Stockport are my tip to win the league right now but Notts aren't that far away. A couple of decent signings will tip the balance. Wrexham's signings so far aren't exactly box office. They'll be fighting for the last playoff spot with their current squad IMO. Grimsby could surprise themselves and a few others. It's hard to know what Southend will do. I think they'll make the playoffs but won't be promoted. 

Archived