National League Transfer Summary

23 hours ago, Chris said:

@menzinho Think someone should tell this lad to amend his league finish predictions?

Yeah, an odd choice. They’ll have a brand-new team and just that alone makes things harder. Their plus point is Gary Johnson though he is a good manager for this level. No idea where they’ll finish but I’ll be amazed if they have a better season than last. As for the actual winners, literally can’t predict it. The last two teams to win it have been Barrow and Sutton, no-one predicted them. Probs be someone like Dagenham or Eastleigh.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/07/2021 at 08:05, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

I would - because they'd win the league. 

Football leagues, if it needs pointing out, are a competition. That means you have to be better than the other teams (or at least win more points) to be crowned champions. If Notts have a great transfer window but Dover have Messi, Ronaldo, Chiellini and Pickford - we're playing for playoffs. 

Provided our signings are suitable and good, I have every faith that they will improve what is an already established good team,

I haven't got the time to worry if a hack like Ricky Miller signs for a rubbish team like Dover.

He will get goals but he's nowhere good enough someone of his hype gets. I am focused on Notts, the competition is about recruitment but not every club at this level will make signings that makes me wished Notts had chosen them. Why bother then? 

Supporter+
24 minutes ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Wrexham sign Harry Lennon. Could be a decent addition, if he was fit. I think Phil Brown at Southend wanted to keep him, though a lot of their fans weren't too fussed. 

He only played 9 games last season. He is a decent signing but nothing special. I wouldn't take him at Notts. 

15 minutes ago, Dripsey3 said:

He only played 9 games last season. He is a decent signing but nothing special. I wouldn't take him at Notts. 

Agreed. He's far too injury prone to take a gamble on like that. Not been overly impressed with Wrexham's signings so far.... the biggest signing they've made is TikTok 😄

I've seen Stockport are rumoured to be after Ben Barclay (the one we had on loan in 2019) - now that would be a stellar signing if they can pull that one off. 

Squads are taking shape, I think some will stop signing players soon because I can't imagine them having the money to continue building. This might be the one area, where Notts having a fan base like ours helps the situation.

Only player I am disappointed we missed out on is Whitfield.

Then again, we have a lot of ex Torquay United players already.

How many teams appear to be signing players without purpose? One thing IB is doing is signing players who fits his style, he knows who can do what and how to get the best out of them. Some teams seem to be throwing anyone in and that's not the best way to build a squad.

It's been a mixed transfer window so far. I expected Wrexham to sign some really standout players and splash the cash and Torquay to replace what they've lost, but neither has really happened.

Wrexham

• Liam McAlinden - bit of a journeyman and never really prolific anywhere, but played L2 last season. 
  • Harry Lennon - a (very) injury prone CB relegated with Southend. 
  • Shaun Brisley - Yep, that one.
  • Jake Hyde - Paid a fee for a 31yo striker who has good goal to game ratio in the NL. 

Torquay have signed some players that are very inexperienced. If you compare them to our 'inexperienced' signings, ours have played at least a season either at L2 (Francis) or NL level(Vincent) ; whereas the players they've signed really are coming off the back of a handful of appearances in the league. They could be fantastic signings for all I know, but it looks very risky. I don't know how many more they plan on signing, but I'm not predicting Torquay to finish as high with their current squad. Torquay fans seem to think that their best players remain at the club, but I don't see it that way. Wright for me wasn't very impressive, despite scoring against us twice in the semi-final. 

Barnet don't seem to have done badly; although it does appear a little bit scatter-gun. They have Kewell in charge, so it will be interesting to see the type of football they play and we play them first up.

• Josh Doherty - LB from Crawley. Played over 80 games in L2 and only 25.
  • Jamie Turley - CB that we had on loan. Good player, heart on his sleeve, head it, kick it type.  Lot of NL and L2 experience. 
  • Mason Bloomfield - 24 yo CF with experience in L2 and NL (not very prolific though).
  • Josh Payne - 30 yo CM, again from Crawley. Mostly NL experience.
  • Adam Marriott  - 30 yo striker that scored a lot in NLN for King's Lynn. 
  • Mitch Brundle - 26 yo CM from Daggers, lots of NL experience.
  • Couple of youths released from the EFL with little/no experience.

Bit of a mixed bag there for Barnet - but some good and solid signings. I expect they'll be a very decent side this year, much improved on last years dismal performance for sure. 

Stockport signed well with Quigley, Walker and Whitfield all added. They'll add more, too. 

Chesterfield  looked to have a few good signings. 

• Calvin Miller - will be interesting to see his position. They complained Taylor wasn't any good defensively, so if they play Miller there, they're due a nasty shock.
  • Jeff King - 25yo RB from Halifax
  • Scott Loach - Decent enough keeper at this level, though his command of the area will always be under question.
  • Stefan Payne - 31yo striker signed from Grimsby. Lots of experience in L1/L2 and NL, with his most prolific periods being in the NL.
  • Jack Clarke - 22 yo signed from Villa, they had him on loan last season and he's a good player. CM

The only issue with Chesterfield is that manager. He's done very well since going in there, but he looks a proper nasty character. There are rumours of fallings out behind the scenes already and he strikes me as somebody that throws a tantrum when things don't go his way (like in the playoffs against us). Could well self-destruct due to a volatile manager. 

3 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

It's been a mixed transfer window so far. I expected Wrexham to sign some really standout players and splash the cash and Torquay to replace what they've lost, but neither has really happened.

They've just signed Paul Mullin. 32 goals in 46 games for Cambridge in L2 last season, gaining promotion. Rejected a contract at Cambridge.

Absolute madness he's rejected L1 to come to the NL. Good signing for Wrexham, obviously. 

23 minutes ago, menzinho said:

Christ, yeah, Wrexham's early signings were nothing special but now they've signed Mullin on a three-year deal... Insane signing. Wonder how much he’ll make from that move?

I don't know. If he had Champ/L1 clubs interested, 5k a week minimum, but I have a feeling it might be closer to 7, 8, 9.....

Just seen Wrexham had signed Mullin (I'd already started writing this but didn't finish it when he signed). It's a great signing but it's a squad game and in my opinion Notts' squad is better and we just need a striker to back up Wootton. We've got goals to come from Roberts, Rodrigues and Nemane, as well as Wootton. Hey IB even got O'Brien scoring last season. 

I'd still imagine Torquay might be strong. They're good at taking under 23 players from the top two divisions, that haven't had a look in, and developing them into better players. Connor Lemonheigh-Evans, Jake Andrews, Kyle Cameron and Joe Lewis are all examples. So I'd imagine Keelan O'Connell, Ali Omar and Dan Martin may benefit. Tom Lapslie is also a smart capture. 

Bromley have had a slow start to the transfer window and I imagine will be waiting for loans from around the clubs as well as any other deals they are waiting to tie up.

Boreham Wood have signed decently. Josh Rees can score goals from midfield and Jacob Mendy could develop more, after his stint Wealdstone. 

Supporter+
53 minutes ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

I don't know. If he had Champ/L1 clubs interested, 5k a week minimum, but I have a feeling it might be closer to 7, 8, 9.....

If rumours are to be believed, it's 10K a week! He's supposed to be the first of 3 marquee signings. 

4 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

They've just signed Paul Mullin. 32 goals in 46 games for Cambridge in L2 last season, gaining promotion. Rejected a contract at Cambridge.

Absolute madness he's rejected L1 to come to the NL. Good signing for Wrexham, obviously. 

Money talks, we know this - they should be okay with extending Andy Dallas' contract.

Obviously Mullin is a more prolific striker and a cracking signing for Wrexham, but he's only ever been prolific with Morecombe and Cambridge United. At 26-years-old, he's dropped into the National League for the money which doesn't always work out well. I can't see Wrexham doing anything but trying to bring a fluid attacking game, something which Mullin doesn't always settle within.

Good striker, good deal for Wrexham but poor decision in my opinion for a striker that would've been picked up by a Championship side had he stayed with United.

Especially if they came straight back down, a club would snap him up no doubt.

2 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Jesus. They are championship wages! Complete madness. 

Issue for Wrexham if they do gain promotion, they will fall victim to the FFP.

There's no way that they can sustain those types of wages [if true] in League Two, the moment when they do go up, it's the moment this Hollywood dream will suddenly see them wake up. It's not like they can do what Derby and other clubs have done, by buying the stadium for a silly fee to offset the budget.

I think it's quite reckless behaviour if true, not that Wrexham fans will care until it leads to financial issues or off the field problems.

Yeah, people seem to think it’s around 8k, maybe it is 10k either way he'll be the highest paid player the NL. @BESTpie is right it’s just not sustainable, especially if they’re looking to add a couple more on a big wage too. Unless they’ve managed to get a good chunk of money from their Tik-Tok sponsorship they’ll make a big loss this season...

And they’ll be a lot of pressure on Mullin too now. On that money I think you’d want 35 goals from him. Jamie Vardy and Andre Gray both scored 31 and 30 goals, when they were in non-league - Mullin will do well to reach that level. When Ricky Miller scored 40 goals for Dover they still only finished 6th, so even with a great goal scorer nothing is guaranteed in this league! Don’t get me wrong he’s a good player but I certainly don’t think it’s money well spent.

On 23/07/2021 at 18:18, Chris said:

Good striker, good deal for Wrexham but poor decision in my opinion for a striker that would've been picked up by a Championship side had he stayed with United.

I thought the same initially, but until last season he'd never even reached double figures for a season - it was more like 6 or 7. So it may well be a case of cashing in while his stock is high, especially if Wrexham really did offer triple what Cambridge did.

On 23/07/2021 at 20:19, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Stockport sign Wil Fish on loan from Manchester United. 18yo CB. Signed him many a time on Football Manager!

Grimsby will be gutted they missed out on that one.

12 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

I thought the same initially, but until last season he'd never even reached double figures for a season - it was more like 6 or 7. So it may well be a case of cashing in while his stock is high, especially if Wrexham really did offer triple what Cambridge did.

Probably not a bad move for him personally. If he scores a bucket load, his stock will be even higher. If he doesn't - meh - 10k a week. 

Archived