Match Discussion: Game 3 - Red Dragons (A)

PON_News

Game 3 - Red Dragons (A)

Team: Wrexham

Date: 30/08/2021

Where: Wrexham Association Football Club

What line-up should Ian Burchnall opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

Supporter+

Wrexham picked up their first win on Saturday. They have 4 points from 2 difficult away games. This is their first home game. I think playing away actually suits Notts better. Wrexham will be playing in front of an expectant home crowd. That brings its own pressure. I think it will end 3-3. 

• Like 1

I'd take a draw. They'll have a big turn-out, BT sport there for it and there'll be a big media interest too. A possible helicopter landing in the middle of the pitch with Deadpool jumping out of it? Doesn't feel like a NL match.

IB confirmed we'll have to some changes, Taylor back at LWB would be a welcome one. But I think one of Rodrigues and Roberts will be on the bench.

Hopefully we can spoil their party and I'm proven wrong but I'm saying 2-1 Wrexham. I think they'll score within the first 10 and it'll be hard for us to recover.

Wrexham will require time to get the most out of their signings, which, for me, does benefit Notts right now. Our squad largely understands the players around them and this can make a difference.

Notts need to make a lot more movement in the opposition half, I am slightly concerned about them finding our formation to be something of a weakness mind.

We need to be a lot more organised and determined to keep a clean sheet, then build from that. Roberts will likely be the player who can make things happen, yet I hope Rodrigues plays a more central attacking role - as he is someone who can create something out of nothing.

Wrexham putting on a strong performance, against another promotion rival, could make them settle together a lot quicker. It's going to be interesting to see if there are any changes, I would give Taylor the start over Chicksen and allow O'Brien to start ahead of Francis.

Right now I'd be happy with a draw away to Wrexham, but like others have said, playing in front of an expectant home crowd brings pressure with it. We should concentrate on our own game, playing with the required tempo and not leaving gaps at the back rather than worrying about the opposition.

I'll take that point. Second best throughout the game. 

Managed to deal with Tozer's long throw in really well time and time again. 

We were slow at moving the ball, they were able to regroup easily and pressed us down fast not allowing us to move the ball freely. 

Fortunate not to go 1-0 down as on replays it looked to be onside. 

There were times we looked threatening moving forward just a lack of support at times. 

Slocombe has to take full responsibility for the equaliser. Poor goalkeeping hesitant at claiming the ball in when he should he claiming it. 

Thought our main issues were the ball spending too much time in our half (and quite deep in our half as well) and then not winning enough of the second balls. When we did try and go long, everyone was so deep that Mitchell and Wootton were pretty isolated so Wrexham’s midfield were able to pick the ball back up easily.

I thought Roberts and Rodrigues coming on would change it for us but by then everyone else was knackered! Maybe Wootton should’ve gone off instead of Mitchell, not because he played poorly just he was fresher. And Nemane’s pace could’ve caused them problems.

Positives were that we showed we can defend our box well through-out, long-throws and corners were dealt with. Rawlinson and Cameron both much better than they were on Saturday. Wootton getting another goal and it was a great header too.

I said I’d take a draw before the game, and considering who we just played and that we played 48 hours earlier I’m pretty pleased with that.

• Like 1

Well worth the point tonight imo. Resolute defending as a team. Cameron steadied the ship superbly. Massive improvement from Saturday. Hopefully now the Torquay game has gone, he’ll produce like he did tonight. Plus the insightful running into the middle helped beef up in the centre of the park…which is the weakest point I think. Francis isn’t convincing me so far, but prepared to give the benefit of the doubt. 
R and R had no impact at all. Hope they rest up and are rearing to go by Saturday.

Chicksen came in and did well. Again.

Great header by Woots. That goal was Premiership worthy. He’ll be attracting attention sooner rather than later.

Slocombe. Poor again. I said pre season he was a weak link and the mistakes so far reinforces the point. We won’t change the keeper, but I do hope he settles and becomes a bit more dominant in his box.

And as a parting thought…ban towels on the touch line. So much time wasted (which I know probably worked in our favour in the end!) and it’s not a good look waiting for him to grab his towel every  throw in. We dealt well with the long throw ins, but I suspect other teams may give goals away because of it. It’s a weapon so I suspect that was the reason he was signed for them!

Supporter+

A draw was a fair result. You could see that Notts are closer to being the finished article. Wrexham showed flashes of how good they will be as the season progresses. I'd expect them to sign at least 2 more quality signings. They've invested well so far. 

Can't believe how direct Wrexham are. It really is just an aerial bombardment from start to finish. It'll work at this level, no doubt, but you expect a team of Hollywood signings to be..... well a little more Hollywood. Thought we defended well in areas you'd expect us to be weak.... long throw-ins, corners. 

Tozer and those bloody long throws are so tedious. Gets boring watching after a while.

Supporter+
1 hour ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Can't believe how direct Wrexham are. It really is just an aerial bombardment from start to finish. It'll work at this level, no doubt, but you expect a team of Hollywood signings to be..... well a little more Hollywood. Thought we defended well in areas you'd expect us to be weak.... long throw-ins, corners. 

Tozer and those bloody long throws are so tedious. Gets boring watching after a while.

That's Phil Parkinson for you. Wrexham fans will have sore necks watching his style of football. Phil better hope it works, I doubt he'll get much time if things start to go wrong. 

Mistakes will happen at our level, that is one thing some fans can't comprehend.

Both teams have gotten off to a good start, a draw for Notts isn't bad. If anything it puts Wrexham in an awkward as they will be expected to win with the signings they've made. The draw shows Notts can compete with good teams and handle heavy pressure. All of which is useful in order to improve.

I'll take a draw.

14 hours ago, Feral Fox said:

Well worth the point tonight imo. Resolute defending as a team. Cameron steadied the ship superbly. Massive improvement from Saturday. Hopefully now the Torquay game has gone, he’ll produce like he did tonight. Plus the insightful running into the middle helped beef up in the centre of the park…which is the weakest point I think. Francis isn’t convincing me so far, but prepared to give the benefit of the doubt. 
R and R had no impact at all. Hope they rest up and are rearing to go by Saturday.

Chicksen came in and did well. Again.

Great header by Woots. That goal was Premiership worthy. He’ll be attracting attention sooner rather than later.

Slocombe. Poor again. I said pre season he was a weak link and the mistakes so far reinforces the point. We won’t change the keeper, but I do hope he settles and becomes a bit more dominant in his box.

And as a parting thought…ban towels on the touch line. So much time wasted (which I know probably worked in our favour in the end!) and it’s not a good look waiting for him to grab his towel every  throw in. We dealt well with the long throw ins, but I suspect other teams may give goals away because of it. It’s a weapon so I suspect that was the reason he was signed for them!

Slocombe won't command his box if he was 10ft tall

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4everapie said:

Slocombe won't command his box if he was 10ft tall

Unfortunately true...

1 hour ago, allardyces tash said:

Mistakes will happen at our level, that is one thing some fans can't comprehend.

Both teams have gotten off to a good start, a draw for Notts isn't bad. If anything it puts Wrexham in an awkward as they will be expected to win with the signings they've made. The draw shows Notts can compete with good teams and handle heavy pressure. All of which is useful in order to improve.

I'll take a draw.

A good point. When you look at the stuff stacked against us last night...their first home game (which makes last weekends point a poor one!) with fans in, TV cameras, hollywood owners in attendance for first time, bucket loads of cash thrown at players and lots of them on display...

Mistakes will happen, just depends on the threat from it. Eg. JoB was a bit messy last night and gave a few silly passes away and occasionally put us in danger. Slocombe on the other hand, he should be better than the two mistakes in two games which have led to goals. If it had been a young up and coming player, then fair nuff. He is supposed to be the mainstay keeper. And as mentioned above, no commanding of his area unfortunately.

its a good point, i dont think the blame falls solely on slocombe but the defence too.

i know hes a good keeper and things will improve, not sure if people are obsessed with brooks or just pointing the finger but nobody can single him out. notts played a completive game and gave a good account of themselves.