Match Discussion: Game 10 - The Shaymen (A)

PON_News

Game 10 - The Shaymen (A)

Team: F.C Halifax Town

Date: 05/10/2021

Where: The Shay Stadium

What line-up should Ian Burchnall opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

Supporter+

Halifax are unbeaten in their last 5 games. They haven't conceded a goal in their last 3 games. They have scored just 1 goal in their last 2 games though. They drew 0-0 at Barnet on Saturday. They were the better side but didn't take their chances. I know another side like that........... 🙂 This is going to be a very difficult game for Notts. Halifax are a decent side and difficult to beat. On form, Halifax will be favourites. It will be an exciting game I reckon. Both sides will create chances, it will come down to who takes them. My prediction is a 1-0 win for Halifax. IB hasn't had enough time to correct the issues from last Saturday. If we get anything out of this game, it will be one of the results of the season so far. 

• Like 1

halifax are where ideally i would like notts to be, its going to be a big game because a point pushes notts back a bit more. a defeat will see us fall and only a win would really help the situation we are in right now. by situation, i mean having lost 2 games in a row.

i think if everyone works hard enough, notts should be fine.

Speechless....

2-0 up, 10 men down, and somehow we allowed them to score not once, but three goals to take all the points. Defensively, Notts aren't focused enough. Ian Burchnall needs to give the players a kick. That is a let-down to the travelling fans who gave their support. Simply, more effort needs to be made to ensure everybody isn't switching off, everyone is doing their bit defensively - we can accept when the players fight.

I didn't hear much of it once Halifax scored, its a shame Palmer's goal was disallowed - that could've given us the edge.

10 minutes added time? Madness, but we have to accept this on face value, the players are at risk of getting Ian Burchnall the sack. I don't think this is far, the players are at fault.

Supporter+

We are missing the players who provide leadership on the pitch. When the chips were down and a bit of pressure was put on, this team folded. 2 games in a row shows it's not a blip. They lack character. They lack backbone. Show us that is not the case starting next Saturday. How they respond will speak volumes as to where this club is going. We now know the answer to can these players do it on a wet Tuesday in Halifax. It's an empathetic No. In capital letters. NO. 

• Like 1

@Super_Danny_Allsopp I had a difficult time telling who scored the final goal. The way Charlie reacted it was as if we had done it. When he named the player, my heart sunk. I have been told by some Halifax fans that they didn't see anything wrong with the disallowed goal.

I don't believe the rumours about Burchnall headbutting the Halifax manager though.

I can see why emotions were running high after the game. They went head to head by all accounts but that IB said it was a nothing incident just "handbags".

The red card really got them fired up and in a weird way I wonder if had been 11 v 11 would they have got the same result? (We wouldn’t have had 10 mins of injury time that’s for sure). Sometimes in games red cards do inspire teams, us v Dagenham and Sutton last year just two examples.

That said there’s obviously something not right to just capitulate like that. I’ve have liked have been at the game just to see the comparisons between that and the Woking game.

• Like 1

The capitulation coming three days after the Woking game just makes it all the more shocking. If it were a one-off we could just write it off as one of those things that happens in football. But in the last 20 minutes of the last two games we've shipped seven goals and taken zero points when we should have gone away with four at the very least.

I can't help but wonder if the team has a mentality problem. Have some of the players got the idea lodged in the back of their minds that they are too good for this league? They train in good conditions, play in a nice big ground in front of crowds of more than 5,000 and in many cases played a good chunk of their careers in the Proper Leagues and/or had offers from League Two clubs in the summer. Obviously the club signed them because the recruitment team think they are too good for this league (and can therefore take us out of it). But if they were, we wouldn't be tenth. Halifax and Woking's players, with all due respect, know they aren't too good for this league and have to fight for every single point. Perhaps that hasn't quite dawned on our players yet, at least in their subconscious. We have to accept the fight in order to win it. It doesn't matter how talented our squad is if it goes missing when the chips are down.

Yeovil next. If you're reading, you have something to prove.

Stayed off social media last night because I was that angry, I might have written something I would later regret, but I’m still fuming over 24 hours later.

People can sugar coat this as much as they like , but there are two things that Football radar cannot measure (even if the stats of these players can make great reading), passion and bottle. Most of these players have neither, in fact only Cameron appears to have the aggression needed for this league. Add that into the fact that we must have the smallest side in the league and the total is that we are going nowhere.

To capitulate from 2-0 up against 10 men is scandalous, especially after Saturday’s fiasco. If this happens again, the manager can pack his bags and he can dump the Football Radar idea in the bin on the way out.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Stayed off social media last night because I was that angry, I might have written something I would later regret, but I’m still fuming over 24 hours later.

People can sugar coat this as much as they like , but there are two things that Football radar cannot measure (even if the stats of these players can make great reading), passion and bottle. Most of these players have neither, in fact only Cameron appears to have the aggression needed for this league. Add that into the fact that we must have the smallest side in the league and the total is that we are going nowhere.

To capitulate from 2-0 up against 10 men is scandalous, especially after Saturday’s fiasco. If this happens again, the manager can pack his bags and he can dump the Football Radar idea in the bin on the way out.

Cameron - Rawlinson - Lacey has got to be our fit starting 3 CBs, surely? Brindley WB one side and Taylor or Chicksen the other.

Its as if the players get to a certain minute and think the job is done, so they just switch off defensively. Its poor but it shows that we need players comfortable in the centre back positions, not left or right backs.

2-0, to 3-2 it shouldn't happen as easy as it did.

Understandable the out cry of disappointment, but those calling for Ian Burchnall's head need to ask different questions. Once the players step onto the grass, it's down to them to do the basics. All his decisions made sense such as taking Ruben off. Why leave him on only to risk a red card?

Just watched the highlights.

1st goal: DKE doesn't close down effectively and the keeper should be saving that.
2nd goal: Chicksen dashes out when he doesn't need to. DKE does himself no favours getting caught under the ball.
3rd goal: Elisha Sam should never play for Notts again. There, I said it. You can have all the ability in the world (which he doesn't), but when there's nothing between the ears, you're useless.... and he is. 

• Like 1

@Super_Danny_AllsoppFor some reason Burchnall will only play Rawlinson when desperate as he doesn't fit in with his passing style, even though he is exactly the sort of defender needed. Lacey has shown that he needs that dominant force by the side of him as he cannot lead. 

DKE was all over the place looking at the goals and I have serious concerns over the goalkeeper's positioning and body language. He's not on his toes, he just stands there and does not look confident at all, we might as well have recalled Brookes. Brennan also is just not good enough for this league, OK on the ball but can't tackle, or head it effectively. Ship both the kids back and find some experience from a lower league club.

Not calling for his head as I think we have been there done that many times and it doesn't work. I do however think he needs to take some responsibility , yes when the players take the field they need to take ownership,  but they take their instructions from the manager. 

4 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

3rd goal: Elisha Sam should never play for Notts again. There, I said it. You can have all the ability in the world (which he doesn't), but when there's nothing between the ears, you're useless.... and he is. 

I don’t quite know how we got ourselves into the situation of being overran like that. Where was the midfield for that goal? Why was it just Sam there? But yeah I totally agree he doesn’t do enough to stop the initial run, he's got to at least try and tackle him.

I thought Notts had a lot of luck to take the lead, Halifax created more chances that could've resulted in goals but seemed to struggle to get the clear cut to take them. At 2-0, Notts needs to learn to close the game off and just kill time, without making stupid mistakes. To allow a game to go from 0-2, to 3-2, especially after the result results its just neglectful and naïve.

Something has to be put in place in the training to improve this, otherwise the season will soon be over.

21 hours ago, menzinho said:

I don’t quite know how we got ourselves into the situation of being overran like that. Where was the midfield for that goal? Why was it just Sam there? But yeah I totally agree he doesn’t do enough to stop the initial run, he's got to at least try and tackle him.

Me neither. However there's no point in Sam tracking back if he is gonna float around like that. Close them down! It's the last minute of the game, you're fresh off the bench and trying to prove a point, where's the intensity, passion, desire? Just gives a half-arsed attempt and walks back to the half-way line. Muppet.