Our friends at Field Mill

DangerousSausage

Was just missing the glamour of League Two, so had a look at the table. What on earth are Mansfield doing? Down in the relegation zone and without a win since about 1982. Are they missing their annual jollies to Meadow Lane?

I thought they might be onto something with a seasoned manager like Nigel Clough, but instead they're doing a passable impression of us. What's going on?

Good question.  I often look at their forum and after they won their first two games they were convinced Clough was the man.  The following 12 games have produced 5 draws and 7 defeats, and many now want Clough out.   Stags fans 'worst case scenario', where their main rivals Chesterfield and us go up and they go down is looking a slight but increasing possibility.  Even though they are a division above, I'm sure us and the Spireites are enjoying the season more than they are!

And they’ve spent quite a bit of money over the years now too yet they seem to be going backwards. They signed Leyton Orient’s top-scorer, Oates from Hartlepool and Nigel Clough is no cheap option as a manager either! They did win yesterday so it’ll be interesting to see if that can kick-start a bit of a run.

Have to say I’m not too fussed about them, I had a look on their forum too, they’ve got a 160 page thread dedicated to us! I guess that’s a small club’s mentality though, finding more joy in the misery of other bigger clubs than the success of your own team… 😉  (I need a pot stirring/poking a wasps nest emoji!)

21 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

I hope Hewitt can complete a triple relegation to the National League😉

He shouldn't be playing professionally, limited talent, and although I like him as a person - its clear he doesn't have the ability to be a good player.

I mean, how Robert Milsom suffered a drop into the National League is beyond me, but the difference is that Milsom can help a side improve, whereas Hewitt is just a clumsy player most likely to end up in a relegation team. A player like him, who is known for enjoying party life, probably lacks the focus, in my opinion, to do well.

It's a shame because at times he did look like a decent prospect, plus he could work hard.

Just not as often as needed.

On 31/10/2021 at 14:44, Piethagoram said:

I hope Hewitt can complete a triple relegation to the National League😉

I remember seeing an interview from Clough at the start of the season, when he tore into Hewitt's "efforts" at right back. The news that he's quite possibly the worst right back in the entire world obviously hadn't reached him.

Their chairman will come under fire as he does the right thing at times, only to end up doing the wrong thing at that crucial time where someone who knows League Two could've done more on the field. Signing higher up players doesn't always work, all the time, getting a big name in as the manager, well it looked good on paper [even made some Notts fans envious] but its not worked out. Nigel looks a bit clueless with Mansfield.

Archived