Match Discussion: FA Cup - The Dale (H)

PON_News

FA Cup - The Dale (H)

Team: Rochdale AFC

Date: 16/11/2021

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Ian Burchnall opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

Supporter+

I think Notts are playing the better football right now. Based on form, I think Notts will go through. It would be nice to have Plymouth or Wednesday at the Lane. Plus it will be on telly. 

I have read that Rochdale prefer playing away from home and usually do better, so this could be a real fight, but I think the Notts camp are riding a high that might just see us progress further in the FA Cup.

Meadow Lane has seen Notts put on some very impressive performances. In the first half against Solihull Moors, we moved the ball around well.

If Rochdale allows us to play, then we should cause them more trouble than we did in the first game. I do expect it to be fairly open and, close.

Make a few smart changes, leave Patterson in goal and just stick to the same game plan of passing into space.

I would like to see Nemane and Roberts both play, Burchnall said he put Roberts on the left because of his natural foot, he did well with Taylor and we have focused a lot on the right hand side a little too much for me. It would be nice to have Nemane on the right, Roberts on the left and Rodrigues in the middle.

Wootton up top to get those all important goals.

i think if notts can score early or even get the first goal, they will be able to retain the lead but i have the feeling it will go to penalties instead.

rochdale looked a decent team from what i have seen, they play as one and we need to be careful not to treat them like we have already won. i do think morale is high for us right now but if rochdale scores first, then i think it will be a draw and pens to decide.

I think Dale will want the win more than Notts, they won't want to miss out on that cup tie that might follow and it could make the game a lot more scrapper. I just want Notts to dig deep, work hard and wait to strike.

Chances will come but I am mindful of forcing play.

I do feel the Notts have reached  a standard for their home performances, teams can make them work harder for it, but I believe Rochdale will allow Notts to play at times. It's in these moments where we need to show our class on goal, whilst staying robust enough to block them out at the back.

It's a very difficult game to predict, as you can side with your heart.

My prediction would be 1-0 to Notts, but admittedly, it could possibly be the other way round.

Unfortunate result, but if I had to pick, it would have been to get knocked out after 90 minutes than have to play extra time and penalties. Priority is the league and I wouldn't want those extra minutes to mean that we lose on Saturday.

• Like 2

I thought the game was entertaining for both teams, Notts was poor defensively for the first 20 minutes.

Adam Chicksen is not a centre back, he was just awful and Anthony Patterson didn't look calm at all - although he made some very good saves. I felt Chicksen was largely poor the whole game. He's a totally different player out wide, but I don't think Ian Burchnall should repeat this mistake in the future, at least not to incorporate him in the side for the sake of it. If we have CB's available play them, I don't mind so much as this past game allowed others to rest.

I just feel the indecisiveness and, lack of awareness leads to panic.

Everyone else played quite well for me. I think Patterson redeemed himself even more so in the second half.

I overheard some fans calling Cal Roberts, what these people might not be aware of - is it's probably Ian Burchnall who wanted to save him.

Matt Palmer and, Frank Vincent stood out the most to me.

Joel Taylor did well, but he struggled out wide at times and realised he had to drift in to be able to run at Rochdale. This led to some poor decisions, but overall I felt he did okay. It was a decent team performance, Notts to me, was unlucky to lose. In the 2nd half, we showed a different type of class. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough. I honestly would like to see more of a threat from Kairo Mitchell.

I have people telling me that he's a proper striker, some even preferring him over Kyle Wootton, but I do not see it myself.

• Like 3

Supporter+

Rochdale came to play. It was a proper game of football. Notts were unlucky. It could have gone either way. 

• Like 2

Once again I listened with @GrannyPie and once again it sounded like a very good ,entertaining match though Notts seemed to be making a few unforced errors in the first 20 minutes .The second half seemed better from Notts and the game appeared to swing one way then the other as both teams had little spells of superiority.It could have gone either way.As extra time approached I mentioned to @GrannyPie and as @Fozzy commented above ,Notts could do without the added time.Unfortunately the wrong team got the winner right at the end.Hard luck Notts but well played and let's hope back to winning ways next game and beyond.

Sounds like a close game that unfortunately went against us. At the same time I'm encouraged that we could give one of the better League Two sides a good and even game. Personally I'd have found it very sobering if they'd blown us out of the water.

Wipe your mouth and carry on, as they say here.

i had someone on twitter mention that they liked how the ref allowed things to go which is fair enough, but at times there was clear fouls on notts players and he would not give them. it came across as very biased in the first half, i dont recall how many fouls they got but it does not take away from clear fouls not being rewarded. it was almost like he would not give notts any decisions, especially on kyle wootton who was heavily manhandled at times.

i would not say he cost notts the game, the defending did that and chicksen being awful.

but i do think he was poor giving advantages to the away team when at times words should have been had at the minimum.

i think rochdale played well, so good luck to them but both their goals come across as things we should do better with.

Awful start to the game, there is no denying that. Notts could've handed Rochdale the game in the first half.

Thankfully Notts recovered and made a game of it, I felt Ian Burchnall's changes made all the difference with injecting spark into the play. We dominated for those 45 minutes, but got caught napping for their second. I am not disappointed because it was a good open game, but I do want to see things learned from the performance. Adam Chicksen is dire in a central defensive position.

On 17/11/2021 at 12:47, Dripsey3 said:

Rochdale came to play. It was a proper game of football. Notts were unlucky. It could have gone either way. 

They did, but when we turned it on they struggled to match us.

It's a shame we shut off at the very end, as I think we could've won otherwise.

On 17/11/2021 at 12:25, Chris said:

Adam Chicksen is not a centre back, he was just awful and Anthony Patterson didn't look calm at all - although he made some very good saves. I felt Chicksen was largely poor the whole game.

Adam Chicksen wasn't played as a centre back, he was played on the left side of a back 3 which is his best position and in my opinion he did a pretty good job.  

18 minutes ago, Elite_pie said:

Adam Chicksen wasn't played as a centre back, he was played on the left side of a back 3 which is his best position and in my opinion he did a pretty good job.  

he was right by rawlinson a lot of the time, it looked like a 451 formation with taylor drifting into the middle.

in the first 30 mins, chicksen was terrible.

his header gave them the opportunity to score their second goal.

21 minutes ago, Elite_pie said:

He did okay towards the end of the first half and, much better in the second half. Overall, he was extremely poor in my opinion.

His passing, positional play, marking (a major lack of) in the first 30 minutes were extremely poor.

Anthony Patterson had a right mere due to the pressure being inserted, with his distribution during Adam Chicksen's indecisiveness. To me, it looked like we switched formations depending on whether we had the ball. However, when Rochdale attacked, he filled in alongside Connell Rawlinson.

• Like 1

Chicksen did play poorly, end of. Even his fans can't defend his shoddy performance against Rochdale.

He can be good, but not when Taylor is in the side. Chicksen overlaps well but defensively he's not that good,

13 hours ago, Joshua said:

Chicksen did play poorly, end of. Even his fans can't defend his shoddy performance against Rochdale.

Does saying "end of" mean nobody else can comment?  Of course his performance can be defended, and to prove it here are a few match ratings from elsewhere:

Chicksen 7 - Flipped a switch 10 mins into 2nd half and had a fantastic 15mins. More of that, please.

Chicksen - 8* - Thought he was excellent. Another assist too

Chicksen - 8* - Was troubled a couple of times by Rochdale's high press early on but recovered and delivered a sublime cross that led to the equaliser. Was brilliant in the second half.

Two of them made him their man of the match, I would have rated him a solid 7 and thought he had a decent game.

• Haha 1

On 19/11/2021 at 11:30, Elite_pie said:

Does saying "end of" mean nobody else can comment?  Of course his performance can be defended, and to prove it here are a few match ratings from elsewhere:

Chicksen 7 - Flipped a switch 10 mins into 2nd half and had a fantastic 15mins. More of that, please.

Chicksen - 8* - Thought he was excellent. Another assist too

Chicksen - 8* - Was troubled a couple of times by Rochdale's high press early on but recovered and delivered a sublime cross that led to the equaliser. Was brilliant in the second half.

Two of them made him their man of the match, I would have rated him a solid 7 and thought he had a decent game.

Probably an age thing because I don't do emoticons, but does your smiley face mean that you find my post laughable?

If so, I would be interested to know why.