Macca Shouldn't Be Captain.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  17

Just reading on the Notts Website Macca as been given the Captain's armband for the up coming season. So raises a couple of questions,

1) Does this mean the Board are confident there will be NO Offers from other Clubs, that will cause Macca to leave the Lane?

2) Why?

Firstly I can not believe that no other Club higher in the Football Pyramid would not come in for Macca and surely it would be better to wait until the Transfer window is closed? Before appointing a New Skipper. Or is it that Notts have put on price on him, that has put off other Clubs bidding for him?

Secondly while I have the utter most Respect for Macca, his job is scoring goals. That should be the Be All and End All. He doesn't need the extra pressure of encouraging the Team on the Pitch and as a Forward (unlike a defender) Can Not  see the way  how the Game plan is working, when his only sight should be on the oppositions goal in front of him. A Captain needs to see all his team Mates and be able judge how the Match is progressing, and adapt things accordingly. He needs to be able to shout and make his orders clear and help any new players positionally. A Striker can't do that and be expected to score goals. Or is Stuart Maynard going to change Macca's position? I really Don't Understand the Appointment.  Is this another Stuart Maynard idea? If so it seems Doomed to failure. Matt Palmer as Vice Captain is in a better position to take on the roll of  Leadership. Just leave Macca to do what he Does Best, SCORE GOALS.

Edited by Wheelbarrow repair man
  • Like 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I feel sorry for Kyle Cameron. I witnessed nasty comments directed to him after games by mindless so-called fans. I don't believe anyone can give such abuse and throw it off as passionate about the club. It's destructive and hateful. I hate those fans who gave Macaulay Langstaff stick for not scoring early on last season, don't repeat their behaviour because I am sick of these so-called supporters.

Firstly, Kyle Cameron has always done his best for us and has led the team out proudly.

I hope Macaulay Langstaff does well with the role, I tend not to lead to much towards speculation, but I think out of our squad he's someone who we can look up to and the players respect him (the players did Cameron - they wanted him as the captain previously). Which leads me to say, I firmly believe this is more a case of the club looking to hand the band to the next best option.

Will it secure offers away from other clubs? No, but it might make Langstaff prouder to represent us and the bonus in pay may appeal to him to extend his stay. Captain tend to be firmly behind the club, so I believe it's a very positive decision.

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,487
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

I get your concerns and they are well grounded and I'm sure other supporters are asking the same questions.

I'm pleased for Macca that he was chosen to be captain and it appears Macca is thrilled about it too.

His appointment has also pleased quite a lot of supporters too because they believe, like I do, that he has committed to the club for another year at least.If that is the case, and it appears to be, that's great for the club.

I personally believe that Matt Palmer would have been the best option, because as you said, Macca needs to concentrate 100% on his job of scoring goals.

As you touched on, I think the club wanted to reward him financially for the extra responsibility, it has made the vast amount of supporters happy, and it may see a surge in season ticket sales too

I don't think it will stop the offers coming in for him, but Notts have made it clear that he won't be going anywhere just yet.

By the way, ref our two similar threads, just modify the heading of your thread if you want. You did have concerns about Macca as Captain.

If you ever want to delete a thread just message a moderator.

• Like 2

@Chris

Totally agree with you regarding the Kyle Cameron situation regarding abuse from So Called Fans. I think a Vast majority of Negative remarks about Kyle have come from Fair Weather Fans, who Notts have picked up from their National League Success. I myself have said on these comment sections that I didn't think Kyle was Captain Material that is my opinion, it was done objectively and I wouldn't be abusive towards the guy, there is No Need For That.

@Robbie Thanks for the tip regarding my Topic's Title. Now that it's sorted there shouldn't be any confusion (Hopefully) 

• Like 2

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,781
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Tough decision made.

What I think it is behind it, you need the captain to be a certainty on the team sheet

I think then, Cameron's LCB position is now up for grabs

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

@Piethagoram It wouldn't surprise me if Kyle Cameron had decided he would move on after this season, he's given us a lot and whilst his position in the starting line-up might be being questioned - I think the appointment of Macaulay Langstaff as captain is more of a chance to get everyone back on board for a new season. The season had barely ended before fans were asking who the next season captain should be. I get that Cameron has had faults, but it lacks respect which is one of the worst things in football these days.

Until the club or captain decides otherwise, we shouldn't really have a say - unless there's doubt nearer to the pre-season.

• Like 2

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,781
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

I hear what you are saying @Chris but if Kyle remained as captain, one has to assume he then cannot be dropped. I think most us are of the same thinking, the only substantive issues are the defence and the GK. 

Kyle had no natural challenger to LCB, apart from a make do Chicksen

• Like 3

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

I think Macca is a very good choice as captain, like he says in his interview it’s not always about being vocal but by setting the standard with level of performance. And your captain needs to be a player that is basically going to start every game and he is that man. I don’t think it’ll be distraction either, when he’s in the box I think he’ll be fully focused on putting the ball in the back of the net, he’s not going to just start wandering around the box to encourage his team mates!

It should also boost the mood the of a few panicked fans that think Macca, JJ and Crowley will all be gone over the summer. I think this is a big boost and almost confirms that he’ll be here next season. A bid might still come in that’s too good to turn down but I’d say there’s an extremely good chance Macca will be here when the transfer window shuts.

• Like 2

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  74
  • Days Won:  6

You have to name the captain early. Maybe not quite this early, but certainly well before the window closes. The window in EFL is 14 June to 2 September 2024 so if you delay until 3 September, you're 5 or 6 games into the season.

Some players respond brilliantly to the captaincy. The extra respect, the added responsibility, the pride. I can see Macca doing this job brilliantly and further cementing his place in our history. No doubt it comes with another pay rise and, with the length of his existing contract, hardly anyone outside Championship can afford him. 

I think there's a player in KC somewhere, but not a leader, and he's a long way from a guaranteed starter if we recruit well this summer.

He needs to play games at his age and a fresh start will do him no harm, although I'd be happy to keep him as a squad player.

• Like 1

I am sure that Macca will  wear the Notts Captain's Armband with Pride, I have No Doubt about that, I just can't get this Niggling worry out of my mind that it may affect his Goal scoring. Then again Matt Palmer as Vice Captain may contribute the Leadership Role to his Team Mates leaving Macca Free to Do What He Does Best. Score Goals.

• Like 1