R.I.P Derek Pavis

super_ram

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,310
  • Days Won:  69

Very sad to hear of the passing of Notts former chairman,Derek Pavis.He did so much for your club.My thoughts are with his family ,friends RIP Mr Pavis.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,147
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It was very saddening to hear the news.

I typically receive texts at times from various contacts, I got one whilst on the train to Skegness but I was unable to confirm if it was true. I had one of those deep surprise moments from receiving the news and I really didn't want it to be true. I'm aware his health hasn't been the best, yet once it was confirmed - well I still couldn't believe it. I know some fans regret the sale of certain players, though his heart was always in the right place.

I've had the pleasure of having two very lengthy conversations with him, also his wife and son Michael.

He spoke of regret and passion for Notts, yet always came across as someone who loved this club and appreciated everything fans did. This is something rare in today's game and I will always be thankful for the kind words his family said to me.

Rest in Peace Derek Pavis.

I thank you for taking the time to redevelop Meadow Lane, for investing in players and bringing the success which gave me so many wonderful memories with my family.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,904
  • Days Won:  17

R. I. P. Mr Pavis and thank you for some wonderful memories with our beloved Notts County Football Club. 

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

Sad news.  Mr Pavis was instrumental to some of our best times in the last few decades.  Getting us to the top level was some achievement, but his greatest legacy is probably the stadium we enjoy today, which is head and shoulders above most lower division grounds.  We owe him a lot, and it's a fitting tribute that we have a stand named in his honour.  Condolences to the family, and thank you for all you did Derek.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,813
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Echo what @Elite_pie has written. The issue is that player sales funded the stadium, which was built at a good price at the time of severe  construction industry recession. One looks at say,  Portsmouth where one can say, all the money was spent on the team with little on stadium infrastructure. Notts were one of the first to comply with the essence of the Taylor Report in terms of rebuilt stadiums, it's a shame other clubs didn't follow and invested in their playing squads instead. Uneven playing field!

Best memory was lunching on pizza with Derek and John Mountney in the piazza in Ascoli, discussing the previous Anglo Italian Cup final. Why when you need a goal, would the manager take off McSwegan and put on Agana?

Archived