ratings Notts v Newport County AFC

Piethagoram

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,813
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Fitzsimons 7.5 Apart from one error in not coming for cross which Shola expected him to claim, looks a very good keeper

Tootle 7 Always feel that something is going to happen when he delivers into the box. Manned up in tough encounter

Duffy 6 Rightly booked

Brisley 6.5 Does the simple things right, don't take any chances like clearing the ball well

Dicko 6.5 Much more confident now

Hawkridge 7.5 Energy, energy energy with some nice play too

Yates 6 Battles well to win 2nd ball

Hewitt 6.5 One great run to put in covering tackle when rest of side was beaten for pace.

Grant 7 the side needs some  class and Grant does provide it in patches

Stead 6 Looks short of pace and unlucky with one flick finish in the second half

Shola 7.5 reminders of Lee Hughes control of the ball. always looking to bring players into play

Subs

Walker 7 ...nearly goal of the season shot

Forte 6.5 movement but perhaps needed more time

Hunt 6 slots in well to cover Toots

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

Fitzsimons 5.5 – an easy afternoon, doesn’t look too convincing with high balls.
Tootle 7 – defended well, got forward well.
Duffy 6.5 – good positionally, didn’t do a lot wrong.
Brisley 6 – no frills, did his job.
Dickinson 7 – good performance, offers an attacking threat.
Grant 7 – took a while to get going, but his eye for goal is undeniable.
Yates 6.5 – nothing spectacular, but gives us a bit of shape in midfield.
Hewitt 7 – always in the action, covered a lot of ground.
Hawkridge 6.5 – helped us use the man advantage with good passing and movement.
Stead 6.5 – better from Stead, linked things up well.
Ameobi 7.5* - always caused them problems, some classy touches and a great finish.

Walker 7 – impressive in his short time on the pitch.
Hunt 6 – looks decent back-up for Tootle.
Forte 6 – no time to do much.

Looked likely to be a closely fought game up until the red card, then we bossed them and could easily have won by more. Some good creative play in the second half, the league table makes very pleasant reading tonight.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

Liam Walker offered what we have been missing all season when he came on in midfield, genuine class with the ability to open up defences with his awareness.

I for one can't wait to see a central midfield partnership of him & Liam Noble.

Taking nothing away from Elliot Hewitt or Ryan Yates but Walker offers us that option of genuine Championship class from central midfield, his class above is so obvious its a strange decision not to play him from the start in my opinion. 

@Northants Pie Whilst I agree with the sentiment, Nolan seems to want his midfielders to defend, maybe at the expense of creativity. I have to disagree with @Elite_pieon our keeper....Elite ratings work off a mean of 6, to my 5.... so why does a clean sheet warrant 5.5? :frantics::hyper:

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

@Piethagoram Nolan does want that as it fits with the hoof ball game.

We've been found out tactically and if we persist with the defensive outlook we'll never achieve what we should be achieving.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

2 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

@Northants Pie Whilst I agree with the sentiment, Nolan seems to want his midfielders to defend, maybe at the expense of creativity. I have to disagree with @Elite_pieon our keeper....Elite ratings work off a mean of 6, to my 5.... so why does a clean sheet warrant 5.5? :frantics::hyper:

Because a clean sheet doesn't tell the full story, Fitzsimons had a very easy afternoon due to a good defensive performance.  I remember him making one save first half to a shot that was straight at him, but early on when they had eleven men and were pumping crosses in our box he gave me no confidence at all.  I would turn your question around - how does a performance with no notable saves earn a mark 2.5 points above standard?

@Elite_pieThe game is about differing opinions, but thought Fitzsimons commanded his area well, especially Newport's long throw tactic. Apart from maybe one error of judgement, when he should have claimed Shola's ball... Thought here we had a goalkeeper that actually comes out to dominate his area, something I feel Collin doesn't do at times... 

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

Fitzsimons 6 Tries to command his area, but doesn't always pick the right cross to come for

Tootle 7.5 MoM for me

Duffy 6 Steady

Brisley 6.5 Steady

Dickinson 6.5 As well as I've seen him play

Hawkridge 5 I thought he was ineffective despite his runnning

Yates 5.5 Didn't really catch my eye one way or the other

Hewitt 6 Good at covering the ground, but lacks a passing ability.

Grant 7 Great finisher, but rest of match can pass him by.

Stead 6.5 Best I've seen him this seaspn Looks short of pace and unlucky with one flick finish in the second half

Ameobi 7.5 Pure quality when on the ball.

Subs - not enough time to judge

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  36

Pretty much sums it up as to how I saw it @ivansneck. Dicko played much better going forward, but still gives me kittens though with his lack of pace when defending. He got skinned a couple of times down his side and needed help from a covering defender, so would have given him a 6 at best.

Grant's starting to do my head in, he has so much ability but just drifts out of the game and doesn't seem to have the same work ethic of the other players. Apart from his goalscoring, I can't see any reason why Forest would recall him in January at the moment.

Archived