PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,351
  • Days Won:  81

PSF - The Boro (A)

Team: Nuneaton Borough

Date: 05/07/2023

Where: Liberty Way Ground

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 6

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,519
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

This is our first chance to see some of the new signings. I hope we throw a couple of youngsters into the mix because one of them may fit the roles we still have open. It’ll be interesting to see how differently Notts may play and if Luke Williams will adjust anything to get the best out of the players.

• Like 13

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,367
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It's likely going to be two squads each half, if this is the case. I would like to see us try the new signings in a squad that has Matt Palmer, Kyle Cameron and Aden Baldwin in the starting XI. I think this would be a great way to see how the new players fit, I know it's early but if we throw in some of the starters. It gives us a chance to see how things may gel together. This said, I do think some players may have the luxuries of not playing many minutes.

With it being the first friendly, I do think we will be experimenting whilst just giving the lads their first run out.

• Like 12

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Days Won:  162

the score is unimportant, so i would like to just see the lads express themselves and treat the friendly for what it is. a good run out.

naturally i hope they put on a good performance and if the sides are mixed, it should allow us to see which players do what. a very useful exercise for luke williams and the coaching team. i am interested who will start in rubens position.

• Like 9

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,789
  • Days Won:  27

I would split the two teams into the strongest we can make both sides, or maybe even consider making one team focus on attacking and the other on defence, but with an attacking mindset and some fringe players. This could give us some insight into how we will defend under pressure. It should be a nice day for us all.

• Like 9

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,514
  • Days Won:  15

It should be a good run-out for both teams. What I look forward to seeing in friendlies is how the players link and communicate with each other. It will also be interesting to see if Luke Williams mixes up the tactics and formation, or if he sticks with the 5-4-1 formation. And who will be the main striker? It’s got to be Macaulay Langstaff.

• Like 8

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  3,557
  • Days Won:  9

Is anyone going? I wonder if we will see Junior Morias play; he and the new signings will be interesting to see. We all know these games are about fitness, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see us play a more defensively-minded team, as even this would be quite strong against Nuneaton.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  252
  • Days Won:  1

I am planning to go to the game; it should be a good game, and for our first friendly, it will be interesting to see how the players settle in together.

• Like 6

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

I'd expect a different 11 in both halves to get as many players match fit as possible. It'll be interesting to see how the new signings do and where they play, but we won't be able to draw any conclusions from it. Wonder whether there'll be any trialists?

I've been to Nuneaton's old place, a proper old-school rickety ground. Would have been fun to see Notts play there. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,966
  • Days Won:  5

I would like Luke Williams to start with what he believes is his best XI, then make changes as the game goes on. For example, removing Matt Palmer at the 35-minute mark would allow us to see if the club now has a replacement for him. I doubt this will happen, but swapping players in and removing others would be a big reveal for Notts.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  912
  • Days Won:  2

The match should be a good kick-around for both clubs. I won’t be going, but I’ll be keeping an eye on what those who do say about the squad. I’m more interested in the home friendlies, but I’ll be making the others. I just can’t commit to this one, despite my interest in seeing the new players in action.

• Like 4

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  570
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

It will be a joy to be back watching Notts play. The performance and score don’t matter; it’s just the glimpse of seeing Williams’ newly-assembled squad mix in with those that won us promotion last season. I’m sure most of the players are in good spirits and fitness, so it will be nice to see the game in a relaxed environment.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1,134
  • Days Won:  2

This isn’t aimed at anyone here, but fans always say it’s about fitness. When Notts loses, or a player doesn’t perform well, or whatever else someone can find to complain about, they do. Likewise, if we win, some will expect more from the team and start moaning that if we’re not in a title race come Christmas, then we have failed.

It’s just a game for Luke Williams to review things before the season starts. I’m interested, but I want fans to realise that this won’t give us any insight into how we may do in the league. Only those league games will determine that, and for once I wish people would try to sit on the fence a bit more.

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,310
  • Days Won:  28

Its a friendly game but it would be nice to come back with a win.

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,960
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Off to a winning start, anyone go? it’d be nice to hear a first hand account.

• Like 4

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,367
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Aidan Stone communicated very well, I liked how he praised and supported the players. He looked confident, which is a positive, the ball seemed very natural at his feet. It was a typical friendly, I think Nuneaton did well despite the score line. To be fair, it's difficult to single many of the other players, it's quite a routine game. Madou Cisse looked good, Aaron Nemane should shadow train him, as he played quite similar.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  422

It took Notts a little time to get going. Defensively, both halves’ teams did well. David McGoldrick looked good, as did some of the youth players.

Nuneaton played well; they were up for it. It was good to see how both teams worked together respectively.

• Like 4

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  507

I didn’t attend the game, but from what I’ve read from those who did, Aidan Stone seems like a promising goalkeeper, very vocal. If he can perform like this against Stoke or Forest, he may become the first-choice goalkeeper.

• Like 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,168
  • Days Won:  3

I wasn’t able to go either, but it’s good to hear who played well and to hear about the youth players that featured. The result doesn’t matter, I know people are pleased with the 3-0 win. The main thing is the chemistry the players pick up ahead of the new season.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

It sounds like we have some promising young talent, but whether Luke Williams will be brave enough to play some of them during the season, only time will tell. With 7 subs, any games where we are a few goals ahead would be the ideal time to throw one or two on just to gain experience.