New Rule Changes

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

New Rule changes were on full display for the upcoming season in the community shield yesterday between Arsenal and Man City. Dissent and kicking the ball away results in an automatic yellow card as well as changing the way the time is added on. 

I'm actually in favour of these changes as it will hopefully stamp out time wasting and players have more to think about before doing some things that could stop the flow of the game which could allow a more free flowing game. 

What do you guys make to the new rulings? 

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,960
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I saw some of these new rules being implemented on Friday night in the Championship game between Sheffield Wednesday and Southampton and I agree with it, the only concern I have is the problem of not knowing when the match will end with all the time being added on, I can imagine a cold November night a 0-0 bore draw at 90 minutes and the ref makes us suffer another 10 minutes extra time. :panic:

I also noted that when players go off injured they have to wait 30 seconds before being allowed back on by the ref, that’s a long time to be down to 10 men if you’re desperately defending.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

@Fan of Big Tone few people have issued concern about travelling home from games, especially away games, due to not knowing how long added time will be. 

57 minutes ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

I also noted that when players go off injured they have to wait 30 seconds before being allowed back on by the ref, that’s a long time to be down to 10 men if you’re desperately defending.

This might stop players going down like they're severely injured when it's nothing. Something that did need clamping down on. Far too often players went down like they'd been shot only for them to miraculously recover within moments. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

The new rules should be good in the end.  It was a bit frustrating that Nemane and Cameron (?) were stood on the sideline for what felt like an age (I didn't realise the rules had changed), but I think it will stop players just going down to disrupt the other team.  

The fact that Arsenal scored so late may also point to the fact that time wasting can come back to bite you and may help stamp that out too. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

I thought kicking the ball away was already an automatic yellow?

I'm not sure about all the time added on, I understand why they've done it but it seems a bit much. The Sutton game felt like it went on for five hours. I think one suggestion was cutting games to 80 minutes, and maybe it's worth looking at again. With the extra injury time we're probably looking at another 15 minutes on top of that anyway.

A new one for is five substitutes per game, and I'm interested to see how it's used in practice. In theory it should favour the teams with a deeper squad and stronger bench, but using that many subs can make a team look disjointed. 

• Like 3

@DangerousSausage they did 5 subs last season. They used lock down period as like a trial for it. But yeah it definitely helps teams with bigger budgets deeper squads.

I thought it was an automatic yellow as well for kicking ball away but on commentary they reiterated the point of players were told before the game that cautions will be handed out for anyone doing stuff like that. 

56 minutes ago, Ohh Tommy Johnson said:

The fact that Arsenal scored so late may also point to the fact that time wasting can come back to bite you and may help stamp that out too. 

Exactly this, it will stop teams using tactics that run down the clock with "tactical injuries" etc 

• Like 3

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,408
  • Days Won:  69

1 hour ago, DangerousSausage said:

I thought kicking the ball away was already an automatic yellow?

I'm not sure about all the time added on, I understand why they've done it but it seems a bit much. The Sutton game felt like it went on for five hours. I think one suggestion was cutting games to 80 minutes, and maybe it's worth looking at again. With the extra injury time we're probably looking at another 15 minutes on top of that anyway.

A new one for is five substitutes per game, and I'm interested to see how it's used in practice. In theory it should favour the teams with a deeper squad and stronger bench, but using that many subs can make a team look disjointed. 

Once players realise they aren't actually wasting time they should stop doing it .Likewise kicking the ball away.One problem is that referees don't use common sense.

• Like 3

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  4

Hopefully the players actually get the yellow cards since in the lower leagues the refs usually seem to just let them get away with it again and again.

• Like 3

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,309
  • Days Won:  28

If the ref sticks to the rules or actually notices it will be good 

• Like 3

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,367
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It's been a rule that if a player kicks a ball away, or holds onto for a prolonged team as a means to prevent the opposition would result in a yellow card. I remember Alan Shearer being sent off for tapping the ball as he passed it for Newcastle, which Shearer called ridiculous in his post match comments. However, it's been something referees haven't been consistent with. The rules state that once a free kick has been awarded, the opposition shouldn't touch the ball or prevent it from being taken. I assume these changes are just more stricter guidelines, but I can see it being conveniently forgotten at the lowest level.

Edited by liampie
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Days Won:  162

i also thought these were in place, referees at our level will always been inconsistent with what should happen. i swear some of them just make it up as they go along.

• Like 1