Booking for flagging a card

KB1862

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

I was watching the EFL highlights last night and in the game between Rotherham and Blackburn, Rotherhams Onyedinma was given a second yellow for gesturing to the referee for a Blackburn player to be given a yellow. 

This is something that has irritated me for years when a player immediately goes up to a referee to try and get a player booked by gesturing a card with their hands. So it was great to see the referee hand out a yellow to a player doing just that. 

I believe it was Julian Dicks mentioned this particular thing on That Peter Crouch Podcast. He said he was involved in a game where a player tried to get another sent off by gesturing to the referee about handing out a card. But as he put it, why are you trying to get another player carded or sent off? 

Hopefully, this happens more often where players are booked for telling the referee to hand out cards. 

On a side note, I did notice that Suttons number 9, who waved Stone off last weekend, was sent off and a Barrow player did a double wave when he was given his marching orders 😂

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,960
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Yes I saw the show and thought exactly the same thing I just hope the refs are consistent on this and other rules changes they’ve brought in, it’s time the players learned who is in charge of a football match and start to accept the refs decision whether they feel it’s wrong or not.

• Like 8

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,167
  • Days Won:  3

Sometimes it's amusing! If there are initiatives to curb this behavior, then players who engage in confrontations with those who receive red cards should be penalized with a card themselves, particularly if they start taunting or gesturing.

• Like 7

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  570
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

The issue is that once you begin implementing more cards, it can escalate into chaos, and those referees who enjoy exerting their authority might only exacerbate the situation, further detracting from the game. Personally, I would prefer the introduction of a system where incidents are reviewed if reported, and then a panel assesses whether it merits suspension due to repeated behavior. Granting match officials greater power to manage the game could lead to the unjust issuance of needless cards.

• Like 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,517
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

@RetroPie I'm on the same page. I believe a touch of practicality should be used, but in this case, I think a yellow card is justified. It could serve as a deterrent for players in the future, don't you think? It's about time some actions are taken. However, I also concur that granting referees more authority to hand out yellow cards for minor incidents could potentially lead to misuse.

• Like 5

Course it could lead to misuse by referees, especially those that like to stamp their own authority, but same could be said about players. Far to long now players have been getting in referees faces and causing problems on the pitch which has gone unpunished which then makes them do it more as they don't feel that anything will come of it. It's a fine line. 

I agree with @KingWilliams Taunting and gesturing do need punishing. Take Joey Barton v Man City in that Agueroooooo game for example. He was being taunted which then led him to knee a player in anger on his way off the pitch. Taunting can make a small incident being handled by the referee turn into something ugly.

I think players should be allowed to explain about why they disagree with decisions but not throw abuse or ask for a referee to book or send off a player. That's what the referees and var are for, obviously they do get decisions wrong but that's just the way it is sometimes. 

• Like 4

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,367
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I think the changes are suggested for the best of football, especially the powers and instructions given to match officials.

However, I think it will take quite a few seasons for it to be really beneficial and until then we will have moments of inconsistency and times when we feel baffled by cards being given. As for this subject, I believe players should be given a yellow for making unsportsmanlike gestures.

It happens far too often and officials now have the chance to reduce it, which is good.

There needs to be no bias towards larger named players though, some officials seem to be wary of upsetting them.

• Like 5

@Chris 100% it happens to often and players have had it easy but it's gonna take time before it's fully made aware off.

17 minutes ago, Chris said:

There needs to be no bias towards larger named players though, some officials seem to be wary of upsetting them.

Different scenario but like Messi in the World Cup and in the North American League Cups. Handball on both occasion which is an obvious booking both times yet he didn't get one because he had already been handed a yellow and would've meant sending him off. 

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Days Won:  162

absolutely this needs to happen, i fully agree and support the decision because it just causes trouble on the pitch. sometimes just the gesture alone is enough to influence the referee into giving a card when its not warranted.

it annoys me too.

• Like 4

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,488
  • Days Won:  5

I believe it’s a sensible approach to book players if they make gestures that interfere with the officials’ duty.

• Like 4

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I see no room for debate on this matter, at least from my perspective. Even if a referee misuses this approach, its implementation would still deter players from engaging in such conduct. The issue of simulation and other unsportsmanlike tactics needs addressing. When a player rolls around as if he's been severely injured, it's usually a clear indicator that he isn't genuinely hurt. Genuine injuries are often accompanied by restricted movement or visible signs of distress. Most of the time, it's quite apparent who is genuinely injured. Additionally, players should receive cards for making gestures to influence officials into making the same decision.

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,309
  • Days Won:  28

Some refs do seem very trigger happy with the cards this season so its not a surprise. I didn't see the game though so can't say if it was right in this occasion.

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,786
  • Days Won:  27

It will require a considerable amount of time for the implementation to be executed in a manner that avoids resulting in a yellow card, a concern given the excessive number of such cards being issued to players this season. Alongside the occurrence of some puzzling card decisions, the game's consistency is being compromised. However, I do concur with the underlying principle.

A few players from Doncaster gestured towards the referee, one of them even managed to rise from the ground, seemingly after having been fouled, to signal a card motion. In a matter of moments, he transitioned from appearing injured to confronting the referee directly, yet he escaped a booking.