Match Discussion: Game 4 - Rovers (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

When I saw the team sheet my first thought was that’s brave. I thought we'd overloaded it with attackers but it worked, a great win. Langstaff unlucky not to get a hat-trick by all accounts, the first of many for the season I'm sure. Shame we conceded right at the end, not going to stop my celebrations, but I’m sure LW will be annoyed with it!

Also I see Morecambe beat Bradford City 3-0, one of the teams expected to challenge for top-spot, so that turned out to be a very good away point. A good week for Notts!

• Like 8

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Firstly, it's a very good result and the performance overall really topped the away day.

Notts can't always go into games guns blazin' and I think the starting line-up was a smart choice. People asked me why Aaron Nemane wasn't starting, I didn't know but having seen the game. I think Luke Williams did it, so that we protected him. Doncaster, they weren't afraid to be physical or quite dirty. So, many of their tackles were very hard hitting. Now, I am only assuming this, but I have seen that Nemane doesn't play as well when it's like this.

I think personally, we waited for the game to open up and to be less feisty.

As I say, patience is the key. If we throw ourselves into games, we are asking for defensive errors or to allow the opposition to take control of the game more.

Notts defended quite well, whilst we tried to open up the game.

All our goals were very well-taken and enjoyable to see. I am so pleased for Macaulay Langstaff because he will be off now, I don't think we will have any issues with him not scoring. It's always been a case of when he gets one in my eyes.

I couldn't see the disallowed goal clearly, my view was blocked too.

Very pleased, and I am not bothered about conceding the goal. Aidan Stone truly deserved another flawless performance.

• Like 8

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  17
  • Days Won:  0

Overall a really good Away day. Donny fans were non existent, the ground was decent. Notts were very good today. Dominated possession yet again. We had to be patient today, first 20-25 minutes we didn't create much but after that the chances started coming and we took the majority of them. 

Bostock and Palmer yet again controlling midfield that partnership is really something special. 

Was surprised to see Austin at RWB. Could mean nemane had a little knock but Austin did well playing in a position he hasn't played before. 

Onto Saturday against Tranmere COYP 

• Like 7

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,467
  • Days Won:  15

Well, the start was slow and at times we lacked penetration. It wasn’t due to a lack of effort, more so because Doncaster just marked and made any space quite compact. They wouldn’t half clatter some of our players when trying to knock the ball out for a throw-in. I wasn’t impressed by them or their fans, I never heard a peep out of them and that’s just poor in my eyes. Our fans were very loud and made the away game very enjoyable, great game. It opened up in the second half, Jodi Jones showed some real class with his goal.

• Like 4

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,355
  • Days Won:  1

Great performance, Notts grew into the game. The first goal was excellent, I thought the free kick should have gone straight in but I can see and appreciate what they were thinking. I thought the squad put in a real team performance today.

Whilst Doncaster looked like a park team and were thuggish at times, I thought Notts handled the situation well. The referee was a clown and should have booked them more than us but we overcame his poor officiating. Credit to Luke Williams for his decisions on the line-up and for getting Notts to lift the intensity of their performance.

• Like 5

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  3,009

A huge thank you to each and every member who has taken the time to join in with the match discussion so far! We’re so grateful for your participation and enthusiasm. For those who joined in during the time this discussion went live, we would love to hear your feedback and thoughts on how it’s going. Let’s make it even better together!

The match discussion is now back to normal, so let’s keep the excitement going! 

• Like 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,897
  • Days Won:  5

The match seemed rather comfortable overall. While it's commonly said that there are no easy games in football, once we found the net, Doncaster couldn't have made it much simpler for us. They struck me as one of the weakest teams I've witnessed in a long while. I believe they would face significant challenges even in the National League. Although they made Notts work for the goals they scored, their performance was exceptionally lackluster.

Contrary to the opinions of some of their fans, they didn't make us appear good; it was the moment Langstaff scored that we truly came to life. In the second half, we dominated them entirely and a 5-0 victory wouldn't have been unexpected. While the referee's decisions were bothersome, I've chosen to accept them. I'm relieved that the players also shared this perspective, as it could have posed difficulties otherwise. We must exercise caution regarding the number of cards we accumulate. Perhaps this is also a reason why Aaron Nemane wasn't included in the starting lineup? It's plausible that Williams wants to prevent suspensions from occurring.

• Like 4

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Days Won:  17

First time in a long time we'd been to an away game. Notts were brilliant and so we're the fans. Glad Macca got his first EFL league goals, happy for Jody too. Notts fans were brilliant too. Really enjoyed my first away game since I think the play off game at the Ricoh. COYP

• Like 5

• Content Count:  141
  • Days Won:  0

I tuned in to the online coverage, and it seemed like a match I truly wished I could have attended. Away days are the aspect I miss most about following Notts, and it appears that very few errors were made. I believe fans should give Jim O'Brien a pass; it's easy to be caught off-guard a few times, and from what I heard, it was just a single occurrence for him. It seems somewhat severe to criticise him for it, given that it didn't cost Notts anything beyond a clean sheet.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  282

It was a fantastic victory, a very impressive performance. I concur with the observations regarding Notts County gradually finding their stride within the match. I don't intend to come across as negative, but if Doncaster had adhered to their initial approach, we might have ended up with a draw. This is because they didn't tighten up the space that emerged as a result of their attempts to recover in the game. Therefore, while I won't criticise Jim O'Brien or any player for that matter, it's imperative that we eliminate the errors that lead to conceding goals. Furthermore, we need to devise strategies to make the teams we face spread out, instead of remaining in a defensive cluster. The support from all who attended was outstanding, and securing the 3 points was wonderful. I'm absolutely thrilled for Macaulay Langstaff.

• Like 3

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

The match provided a truly enjoyable viewing experience. Our impressive turnout of supporters added to the joy of the occasion. Even if we had brought along just 1,000 fans, I believe their enthusiasm and noise level would have been just as remarkable. Such passionate backing is truly remarkable and must be sustained. The special bond that has formed between the fans and the club needs to be nurtured. Victories like this should serve as stepping stones for the future. The goals scored during the match were all expertly constructed and executed.

• Like 2

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  581
  • Days Won:  2

Some of our fans have been saying that we only beat Doncaster Rovers because they were so poor. Surely, they didn’t go to the match? We may have had a bit of luck at times, but the referee seemed to be on their side. So, Notts still had a lot to do.

It was a confident performance in the second half. Even if we didn’t take our feet off the gas, someone out there would complain.

• Like 1