Match Discussion: Game 29 - The Hatters (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,712
  • Days Won:  36

Spot on @Wheelbarrow repair man. If we don’t sign at least 2 experienced, quality centre backs that have played at least league 1 level, we won’t improve. If they sign kids or NL defenders, I think there will be uproar from the fans.

We also need more physicality and pace in midfield at times and another physical presence for up front if we need to go long.

Oh, and a decent keeper.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Didzy calls it a day at the end of the season, but I’m hoping he’s still suffering from his injury as he has been miles off it since coming back.

I hope Paul Mace and Stal don’t go easy on Montague tomorrow.

• Like 2

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

Stockport are the best team in the division. They've won the league on merit.

It was always going to be hard to win this match especially when we learned that Jatta and Macari were out injured.

We know what the problems are with Notts. The same players make the same mistakes match after match but our squad is so thin we have to play them. 

With Baldwin, Brindley and Cameron at the back that gave me alarm bells and my concern was proved right.

Next season Notts will have players that can play out from the back with confidence & will be comfortable  on the ball, and will be League 2 Standard at least.

This season is practically over but things can only get better, and it starts with Colchester on Saturday.

Let's get to the end of the season with two wins, then the rebuild begins 

• Content Count:  8,985
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

I fear for a relegation fight next season. Look at Hartlepool, promoted to the EFL, their best players left after their first season back, got relegated in the 2nd season.

Warner was our "star" defence signing in January.. the least said about that the better

I have little confidence in Montague getting the defensive signings right. I hope I am wrong but we will have to see

• Like 1

• Content Count:  8,985
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

There were times in the Stockport game where our defence seem to freeze within our box. No one taking responsibility to clear the ball...just looking around to say, it's not my responsibility. Mental attitude at fault. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Let’s not get too carried away and write off next season before it’s started, it’s a clean slate and if we can keep some of our better players and move on some who aren’t up to it whilst replacing them with better players we’ll be ok, Maynard and the owners will have learnt a lot from this season, we can put this season behind us now, we’ve had a year in a new division and finished mid table let’s celebrate that.

Am I sounding too happy, clappy? :joker:

• Like 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,314
  • Days Won:  17

That's just it Robbie WE Fans know what the Problems Are, however it seems the Head of Recruitment and his Team DO NOT. Their Poor judgement in the signing of players hasn't helped the Notts Cause. Nor That of Stuart Maynard. In fact if Montague had a job outside of Notts he'd had been SACKED a Long Time Ago. Yes the Magpies do have a thin Squad but they didn't when they played Sutton  and they Got 9 Goals put past them over two games, by a Team who is on the Verge of being Relegated back to the National League.

Piethagoram not only Hartlepool you only need to Look at Forest Green League 1 relegated ( the Grass isn't always Greener on the other side Eh Mr Burchnall) League 2 Relegated, and an unknown future. And your So Right About the Notts Defence.

Fozzy I'm with you regarding Paul Mace and Stal grilling Montague, but as it's been talked about on this Site, it Ain't Gonna Happen. But if anyone from that Podcast come  and read our Comments on PON, They have my Full Permission to use any of my Questions or Quotes I have placed on this Site.

And Finally (hooray I hear you cheer) there are Two Guys who run a very Popular You tube Channel on Notts. They said Notts have Nothing To Play For. Guys you're so Wrong. Notts Have  Hell Of A Lot To Play For. 1 Pride 2 The Shirt and Most Important Us The Fans, who turn up week in and week out and spend our Hard Earned Cash on Season Tickets Notts Shirts and going to Away Games.

• Like 2

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man @PiethagoramI'm going to remain positive and optimistic about our chances next season.

We scored 2 goals against by far the best team in the league, for periods of that match we were dominating them.

If it weren't for the mistakes at the back by the same players once again we could have easily got a creditable draw last night.

Warner was never going to be a success, he just doesn't have the strength or aerial skill that we need in defence right now and that's what we are lacking..

The defensive unit we had last night were simply not good enough and haven't been since the last 5 games of the NL season.

If Jatta and Macari has played, if they had played Scott instead of Didzy, if they had started with Robertson instead of the dissapointing Bostock, things might have been different altogether.

Mansfield, Wrexham and Stockport have strong squads, that's the key, as well as bringing in new players we need depth when we get injuries, where players can come in and the side isn't significantly weakened.

Let's trust the powers at be recognise that and will make sure that happens.

Ah Robbie I Admire Your Belief and Positivity, but even you admit the Notts Defence is A Total Shambles. IF is a little Word with a Big Meaning.

If Macca hadn't Scuffed his chance early Doors, I don't think it would have mattered even if he had scored, Stockport had the Bit between their teeth and there was only one side who was going to Win Last Night. If Notts had a better defence the Magpies could have been challenging for automatic or at least a chance of promotion via the playoffs. If Notts had a better Man in charge of Recruitment the Magpies wouldn't be floundering, in the bottom half of League 2. If Stuart Maynard had Football League Experience maybe he would have hit the ground Running at the Lane, which was needed after LW departure. IF IF IF,  I could go on about such things as Bad Officials etc etc. I can't be Positive about next season, Not until I see the Recruitment and see Stuart Maynard's approach to Notts playing style, because if he continues with this Tippy Tappy slow side to side the  back to the Keeper again type of Football then the Magpies Are Going To Struggle.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

We know the defence isn't good enough.

We know the recruiters didn't get it right with our defence.

We know Williams skidaddled and caused all sorts of disruption when he left, and he never addressed the problems, he had input on recruitment and got that wrong too with the defence.

But the recruiters have got things right too, as an example, Macari, Robertson, Jatta, Scott, Crowley and Langstaff are big success stories.

We've scored 88 goals, and we will score goals next season too.

Just cast your mind back, Mansfield had big heartache last season when they missed out on the playoffs by one goal, but they recruited, strengthened the squad, and this season they have gained automatic promotion, Stockport had to strengthen their side after missing out last season, and Wrexham have done the same.

Stuart has already said that they know where they are lacking and what needs to be done.

We just have to have some patience and have some confidence that things will be put right.

I think next season, a realistic goal will be making the playoffs if we can, but even if we don't, so long as we are making progress that will be a positive development.

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
4 minutes ago, Robbie said:

We just have to have some patience and have some confidence that things will be put right.

Indeed PATIENCE is the key word here, unfortunately football fans are notorious for being lacking in that regard and Notts fans are no different.

Rome wasn’t built in a day, I think if we hadn’t had such a good start fans would have been happy with mid table.

Thankfully I think the owners do have patience and they realise that slow and steady progress is what is needed.

• Like 1

On the   Recruitment 's team's Minus side Warner Colkett Morias Stone and Randall. Swings and Roundabouts. Stuart Maynard says he knows where the Squad needs strengthening lets hope he'll be allowed to Express his wishes and his ideas aren't brushed to one side by the Recruitment team. Also let's hope Montague and his minions don't go about signing players Willy Nilly just to increase the Notts Squad Size just for the Sheer Hell of it. Mind you I don't think that will happen because the Brothers do have a Strong Grip on the Clubs Financial Circumstances.

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,111
  • Days Won:  54

I know Stockport are good but we seriously don’t help ourselves...

I’ll get the moan about the ref out of the way first. The first penalty is so bad it’s unbelievable, it’s blasted at Crowley from about 5 yards away and he was moving his arms into his body anyway. He didn’t make himself bigger and the ball would’ve been blocked by his chest anyway! I didn’t think the Cameron one was a penalty either because it looked to me like he took the ball cleanly before the two players naturally collided.

Luckily our performance was so bad the ref didn’t actually cost us. I know we scored 2 but we created one good chance with Langstaff and then until they scored their 4th, we really struggled to create much. It was, once again, a masterclass in how not to defend. In general our players were poor on and off the ball, constantly taking 4 or 5 touches instead of 1 or 2. Their defence and general off the ball play showed us what we should be doing. Once they went 4 up they relaxed and allowed us to get back in the game but even after we’d scored 2 they were still very dangerous. Even without the penalties, 5 goals didn't flatter them.

I know it’s easy to say in hindsight but it was so naïve playing 3 defenders, and being so open against a team that had scored as many goals as us before we kicked off. I know Stockport have spent a lot to bring in good players but we’ve got to be smarter on the pitch to combat it. We let teams have too many shots against us and we’re far to easy to get at. That fourth goal kind of summed up how easy we are to get at. Brindley is out of position, so one ball gets knocked into a massive space and they’re in on goal, one pass! How can you expect to not concede! It’s driving me mad. Yes we desperately need some new defenders but surely playing just 3 defenders and then the rest of the team as attackers isn’t the way forward.

Edited by menzinho
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

We were on a bit of a hiding to nothing with Stockport needing a win to secure the title and us losing two of our best recent performers just before kick-off. But it's annoying all the same.

To play the devil's advocate @menzinho, I think SM has realised that playing four at the back doesn't give this team any more stability defensively, but when we've played that way it has stunted us as an attacking threat. With Chicksen and Abebayo seemingly unavailable and Robertson probably not yet fully fit, the team pretty much picked itself.

Which doesn't excuse some of the defending on display, of course. Langstaff should have put us in the lead, and until Baldwin's ridiculous slip it looked like we were going to give them a game. We looked shaken by the first goal and, like all good teams, Stockport were there to take advantage. Lady Luck deserted us for a bit with the penalty and the deflection, but at that stage the visitors were getting in so many attempts that more goals were inevitable.

As they say in Germany, wipe your mouth and carry on.

• Like 3

Supporter+

@menzinho

@DangerousSausage

I think there were times this season when the team should have been instructed to just grind a result, especially against the better teams, but unfortunately that is not the playing philosophy of the club at the moment.

I also don't think that this team know how to grind a result out even if they were told to. That's why we need to recruit some players that are hard, physical, can tackle and have plenty of energy.