Match Discussion: Game 32 - The Gills (H)

PON_News

Game 32 - The Gills (H)

Team: Gillingham

Date: 09/02/2024

Where: Meadow Lane

Gillingham.png.d0a8bda83091b9ac96dd2554f

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 3

tough game but I thought we handled them well at their ground, i am hoping to see a spirited performance where we cause gillingham nothing but problems. i dont think it will be easy but its our best chance to get off to winning ways under stuart maynard. the home advantage needs to work in our favour, i have been a bit disappointed as of late with the amount of noise generated and i know we can do better. i hope the players make an impact that helps encourage our support, it could be a big difference to the outcome.

• Like 10

It's a significant match, and predicting the outcome is uncertain, but my gut instincts suggest it might end in a draw. I anticipate an improvement in form, although it might not happen against Gillingham. While I'd love to see Notts perform exceptionally, secure a well-deserved win, and avoid close encounters, I have a feeling it will be a closely contested match for both teams.

• Like 7

• liampie featured this topic

It’s an opportune moment to face Gillingham, they’re not performing as well as they might. They’ve invested significantly in their team but are falling behind in the playoff race. Two 1-1 draws with Walsall and Forest Green and a 2-1 loss to MK Dons. This indicates to me that they’re having trouble creating scoring opportunities but have a solid defence that keeps them competitive. It gives me more hope that Notts can secure a victory, we need to strive for that regardless, as I say we’re in need of a positive result and there’s no better time to play them.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Not securing three points will result in remarks about us lacking drive, more negativity towards Stuart Maynard when in reality we are still adjusting to life after Luke Williams. It’s not a straightforward situation, but the match will give us hope to return to victorious ways.

Our mindset needs to be on achieving the result but provided the performance is solid. I would be content personally. It should be another good match, if we can involve Macaulay Langstaff more and concentrate less on trying to dribble the ball into the opposition’s net, we might create better opportunities overall.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I feel the match is likely to end in a draw, but I’m hopeful we can return to scoring and put on a very upbeat performance. I agree that facing Gillingham now has its advantages, they’re having a tough time and that gives us an opportunity to improve from the last time we played them.

• Like 5

Things are bound to improve for Notts sooner or later. I always have more faith in home results compared to away games. I believe Meadow Lane will be buzzing and the supporters will hopefully rally behind the team to make it a thoroughly upbeat evening.

• Like 4

These crucial games keep coming, & this is definitely very crucial. Gillingham have been there and there about all season after a very good start. Like Notts they have had their sticky patches, but they are very dangerous & must not be underestimated.

Although it ended in defeat in our last away match against Mansfield, there were some very encouraging signs,that the changes that Stuart is overseeing are working. 

Notts are looking more solid in defence & hope for it to continue on Friday evening. I expect there won't be any changes to the side that started at Mansfield.

Notts need to be patient because we will probably have most of the play, but we must not get overly exposed at the back, that means  Notts need to be alert to the dangers when Gillingham break, & Notts need to be switched on straight away. Early goals are costing us dear.

If Notts can do all those things we could get a clean sheet on Friday.

I'm predicting a tough match and a hard earned 2:1 win.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, allardyces tash said:

It’s an opportune moment to face Gillingham, they’re not performing as well as they might. They’ve invested significantly in their team but are falling behind in the playoff race. Two 1-1 draws with Walsall and Forest Green and a 2-1 loss to MK Dons. This indicates to me that they’re having trouble creating scoring opportunities but have a solid defence that keeps them competitive. It gives me more hope that Notts can secure a victory, we need to strive for that regardless, as I say we’re in need of a positive result and there’s no better time to play them.

That was said about Mansfield last week with 8 players out 

@Nay123 I understand your point, but Gillingham isn’t Mansfield. Mansfield would be much more motivated for the match due to the rivalry between our clubs. Mansfield have been commendable for most of the season and have managed their setbacks well, Gillingham is a completely different case.

• Like 4

Notts must excel in midfield; it's the key to winning, losing, or drawing. When our midfield is top-notch, we're unstoppable. While Stuart Maynard works on the defence, my focus is on the midfield needing improvement currently.

• Like 3

At present, every match Notts participates in is crucial to win. There’s no problem if we drop further in the league, provided we know we’ve given our all. However, our poor form could have been avoided. This is where Gillingham offers us an opportunity. They provide a chance to transform Meadow Lane back into an impregnable stronghold. If we persist as we have been, I believe it will be an opportunity for us to seize.

That being said, Gillingham shouldn’t be underestimated. But if we create opportunities that hit the target, a favourable outcome should follow. I reckon Stuart Maynard is inching closer to his inaugural victory. Just two games in, he has the defence appearing entirely different. Friday is a significant match for us. Let’s seize the moment and support our team.

• Like 2

Supporter+

Gillingham haven't won in their last 3 games. They have only scored 3 goals. You couldn't blame them for looking forward to facing our defence but they will be in for a surprise. We are more solid at the back IMO. We badly need a win. Hopefully we get one. 

• Like 2

Supporter+

I really hope Stuart can get his first win tonight, I’ll be cheering them on from my armchair watching the live stream. COYP!

• Like 1

Unless Aaron Nemane is injured, I honestly can't see him being dropped.

His size makes it difficult to work to his ability when you play teams like Mansfield, they will simply mark you out of the game and make it difficult in many other ways. I don't see Gillingham falling into this category; in fact, I believe they would be the prime example of where Nemane should be most effective. It's all about how he makes the space to run at the opposition, but I can see them finding it hard.

I would like to see Notts showing more urgency to get forward, to make the space required for other players to contribute their ability. We are a little afraid to take on players, also, I think it extends to drawing fouls. We never seem to make the most of yellow cards being issued.

I believe the squad will stay the same as the one from Mansfield.

We need to show more creativity to mix the channels and attack through the middle, there are ways we can draw Macaulay Langstaff into the game without making him work tirelessly in order to just get a touch. We have players who Gillingham will want to mark, this should open space. Notts needs to start moving the ball into areas where we can play simple one touch football, then release the ball as the play opens up.

Gillingham aren't pushovers, but I think we have the ability to maintain them. Aden Baldwin and Jaden Warner will be interesting to see how they continue their form together.

Also, I really hope we can see Kyle Cameron at his best - I would love to see him get on the scoresheet and show improvements. He's a good skipper, who has a lot of pressure on his shoulders, and we just need to see him a bit of form.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Unchanged as @Chris predicted, come on Notts, do us proud.

Supporter+

Tidy finish by Dan Crowley. Another assist for Jodi. Not the best defending for their equaliser. We should have been 2-0 up shortly before that. 

• Like 1

Supporter+

Notts 1 Gillingham 2 HT

We are looking good going forward we’ve had lots of possession but once again defending letting us down.

If we lose this we’ll drop out of the play offs, a big second half coming up. 

• Sad 1

Supporter+

Social Media is going to be busy tonight. There's a real danger that the season is going to fizzle out. We are so easy to play against. 

• Sad 2

Supporter+

The slide continues, which in fairness as Mark Stallard pointed out, started before Maynard took over. We need to recover our form fast before we slip further and further down the table.

• Sad 2