Match Discussion: Game 32 - The Gills (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,712
  • Days Won:  36

Exactly @Piethagoram, our defence has no awareness of threat, are physically bullied and have no urgency to close down and get tight to attackers. 
The least said about our keeper the better, but he has leaden feet, and refuses to get physical and leave his line for corners. He reminds of the goalkeepers on the old ‘Super Striker’ table top football game, as they never left their line and by the time you got them to dive the ball is nestling in the back of the net.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,314
  • Days Won:  17

Watching last nights Abysmal Performance shows that Notts might end up struggling for the rest of the season, after today's results the Magpies are now 10th and the next two away matches it doesn't look like Notts will pick up any points. Newport won 3-0 away from home and Wrexham even though they were beaten today, I can't see Notts repeating that result. Lets face facts this type of possession football is Not the way forward for the Magpies everything needs to change, Fair enough it worked in the National League because a vast majority of the clubs in that League are semi professional at best. Notts are now being found out and results are affecting the confidence of the whole squad, it needs sorting out NOW, but it won't be Stuart Maynard will battle on till the end of the season employing the same game tactics and if the recent Notts results continue, how long before Fans start screaming for him to go?  I can also see at least two of the present Notts first team leaving, Macca and Jodi Jones in the close season and maybe Dan Crowley will join them. So the club is going to face a massive upheaval  before the start of the 2024/2025 season.  This might sound negative to fellow Notts Fans on this platform, but it's the way I feel truly I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

• Like 5

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  252
  • Days Won:  1

I believed Notts County would deliver a strong performance, but everything fell apart the moment Dan Crowley scored. It's puzzling how that happened. Gillingham managed the fans better, showcasing their fighting spirit. While we performed admirably at their stadium, yesterday's game felt like a different squad entirely. Though it was a closer match, our chances of getting back into the game seemed unlikely. Criticising Macaulay Langstaff for the few chances he had appears unjust. He had to capitalise on the opportunities, especially when David McGoldrick attempts to control every ball, regardless of the angle.

• Like 4

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  911
  • Days Won:  2

Notts’ performance declined after Gillingham’s equaliser. I think Gillingham’s push for a second goal, and then a third, either before half-time or soon after, shocked the players. We left everything too late and missed our best chances to make a real contest of it. I’m somewhat disappointed with the squad overall, but it’s hard to single out individual players when I know they’re trying.

• Like 3

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  3,556
  • Days Won:  9

With the present squad, it’s hard to envision how the team structure and defensive mistakes can improve enough to secure the victories we think the club should be achieving. Notts won’t win every match, but I always believe that if we score first, we should make the game unattainable for the opposition. We shouldn’t let the same happen at our end of the pitch. Notts’ defence was weak, and I feel fortunate they didn’t concede more than three goals.

• Like 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,517
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

There are already many insightful comments, and I agree with @Chris’s breakdown of yesterday’s game and the PON gaffer’s viewpoint.

Gillingham wasn’t shy about bypassing midfield build-up, either by sending the ball wide or forward. Their first two goals involved some audacious touches that our squad wouldn’t dare to attempt. Notts would have overthought it and not taken the risk.

We need to show more courage, not just in defence but also when shooting. Dan Crowley is the only player who will take a long-range shot when the opportunity arises. Perhaps David McGoldrick too, but in my view, he wastes many chances by focusing on shooting at the wrong times. Scott Robertson shouldn’t have been substituted yesterday. Despite some poor passes, he was the midfield link that drove us forward.

David McGoldrick and Aaron Nemane should have been replaced, preferably with Sam Austin and Junior Morias.

John Bostock didn’t perform well, but I don’t think there’s a suitable replacement. Jim O’Brien plays too far up, and while it was good to see him trying to give instructions, we lacked speed and urgency, which he doesn’t bring. He brings passion and effort. Our bench is weak, even after the January transfer window.

• Love 2

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

@TheSkipper I agree.

I would go further and rest Didzy and Nemane on Tuesday and play a back 4, bring Macari and Sam in and have 5 in midfield and leave Macaulay up front on his own. We have to get at least a point on Tuesday.

Supporter+

A very revealing Statistic.

It also demonstrates that if we had kept our form, we would have been right up there challenging for automatic promotion.

Supporter+

The problem with our defence has gone on for the vast majority of the season.

Since the home defeat to Mansfield, Notts under Luke Williams, played 14 games but suffered 8 defeats & accrued just 18 points from those games.

For anyone else that statistic could have had some owners looking at dismissing the Head Coach.

We owe Luke Williams a lot for what he did in getting Notts promoted, but even he could not solve our defensive frailties.

We all need to get behind Stuart, because he's trying to do something about it 

• Chris unfeatured this topic

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

Caught the highlights on YouTube during my lunch break today. Shambolic defending for all 3 goals. Especially the 3rd, no one seemed to be bothered in claiming the loose ball. 2 Gills players were basically battling each other to get on the end of the header sent back in. 

Post-match, I find it bizarre how criticism is being aimed at Stuart Maynard. Conceding goals in this nature, losing the way we did and having a frustrating night was happening before he even came into the club. 3 games in to his managerial reign, it's still gonna take a bit of time for him to slowly implement his way and move away from the old. 

• Like 1