Colin Foster: Do you remember him?

Chris

Watching YouTube, a video from 'Magpie Goals' came on, and it was highlights from the 1994 game against us and Nottingham Forest.

It mentioned how we had signed a player (Colin Foster) unfamiliar to me on an extended loan for another month from West Ham. He was described as 'a tower of strength in the magpies defence'. The loan move suggested that we were trying to raise funds to sign him permanently for around £175,000. I assume we didn't manage to raise the funds? I'm not sure if Mick Walker lasted much longer beyond this point - not without fact checking.

So, as a talking point - what memories do you have of this? Did you think Notts should have signed Foster?

I am very interested to read everyone's thoughts, as I recall how important this season were for us, but I would have been too young to know all the inner stuff a regular attending fan would know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Foster

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I can remember that Notts had a good side that year, but we were leaking goals. We were in the mix for the playoffs, but our defence was letting us down. A bit like now.

When Colin Foster joined us on  loan he shored up our defence and we went on a little run. We beat Forest at home in the famous Charlie Palmer match. Colin played his part in winning that match, a match that will always be remembered by Notts fans.

He was available to buy, they were quoting £175K to buy him, but unfortunately we didn't raise it.

It was a bit like the Glenn Roeder fiasco when the supporters were asked to try to raise money for him. I sent the club a £5 cheque. I believe several thousand was raised, but we failed to get Glenn.

When Colin went back to his club our form dipped. We failed to win any of our last 6 matches and just missed the playoffs by 3 points.

I believe Colin Foster could have got us to the playoffs that year if he had been signed by Notts. It's ironic, the fact that he was transferred later to Watford for £100K when we were quoted much more.

Colin for me was in the same class as David Needham. He was one of our most influential loanees we've had, even though he only stayed 9 games.

• Like 2

To be honest I remember him mainly from the commentary of the Charlie video. "Colin Foster far side. Draper sweeps it in..."

Walker got sacked after we had a poor start to the following season. We ended up getting relegated. 

• Like 1