Football finances : Wrexham

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

The 2.2m likely refers to transfer fees over the season and not the wage bill. Those figures show that they spent 6 million pounds on wages last season (minus social security and pension costs); we don't know how much of that was spent on players, but we can assume the vast majority was. For context, in our last season in League Two we spent about 3 million on players' wages, which was the largest wage bill in the division. NL clubs' wage bills tend to be in six figures rather than seven.

On the other hand, if they spent 66% of their turnover on wages, that's in line with FL recommendations and fairly healthy (as long as the merchandising money keeps rolling in). Looks like they won't be our problem next season anyway.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,506
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

I have absolutely no interest in Wrexham.

Basically buying their way up the Football pyramid.

There should be a Cap on transfers, wages and spending in every league to ensure competitiveness.

I hope Mansfield stuff them today 

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,916
  • Days Won:  162

its what clubs do though, we were no different when we thought we had the munto millions. we did not even pay manchester city for kasper schmeichel. if they can sustain it, i dont see the issue. people are critical of spending but at the same time are against ambition. for me they are two equal measures. if it was not wrexham, fans would be saying that we paid to get out of the national league ourselves.

obviously not at such high cost, but people do forget that we spent big especially the last two campaigns in the National League.

• Like 2

Supporter+

@liampie I don't have a problem with teams spending money but transfer fees and wages  should be capped to a maximum amount for each league, to stop two or three clubs with massive turnovers spending much more than the rest.

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

10 hours ago, Robbie said:

@liampie I don't have a problem with teams spending money but transfer fees and wages  should be capped to a maximum amount for each league, to stop two or three clubs with massive turnovers spending much more than the rest.

Any wage cap would be measured against turnover rather than an absolute figure. The wage cap in Leagues One and Two used to specify that a club can spend 65% of its turnover on wages, and last season Wrexham seemed to be in line with that. It's obvious that a club getting crowds of 10,000 with a load of merchandising revenue on top is going to have more money to burn than one that is barely managing four-figure crowds.

The idea of an absolute top limit on spending is interesting, but probably not feasible - a club that goes straight down from the PL to L1 will automatically be spending much more than other L1 clubs simply because of the PL-era players it still has under contract.

Supporter+
2 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

Any wage cap would be measured against turnover rather than an absolute figure. The wage cap in Leagues One and Two used to specify that a club can spend 65% of its turnover on wages, and last season Wrexham seemed to be in line with that. It's obvious that a club getting crowds of 10,000 with a load of merchandising revenue on top is going to have more money to burn than one that is barely managing four-figure crowds.

The idea of an absolute top limit on spending is interesting, but probably not feasible - a club that goes straight down from the PL to L1 will automatically be spending much more than other L1 clubs simply because of the PL-era players it still has under contract.

That's the problem with the present cap on turnover, it benefits the richer clubs and also protects, for instance the top six clubs in the PL and allows them to continue to play in Europe, thus making them richer year on year. Wrexham, for example, are up there solely because of the finance they are receiving and I believe it is grossly unfair to other clubs in league 2.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,916
  • Days Won:  162

On 01/04/2024 at 23:44, Robbie said:

no dig at anyone here robbie, i do agree with you that expenditure should be capped.