Could VAR Be Scrapped?

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,489
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Premier League Clubs set to vote on whether to scrap VAR.

Would you vote to scrap it?

Supporter+

I believe we should all support the Wolverhampton Wanderers resolution to scrap VAR.

VAR is ruining the beautiful game in my opinion, because it is totally at odds with the spirit of the game.

The Wolves resolution will be tabled at the Premier League meeting and voted on by all 20 Clubs of the PL 

It needs 14 PL clubs to vote to scrap VAR for the Wolves resolution to be adapted.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I would definitely vote to scrap VAR, I was all for it before it actually happened but now I think it’s just too ridiculous when someone is offside because his big toe nail hasn’t been cut lately. It’s spoiling the game, let’s get back to refs and linesmen/women making the decisions right or wrong.

• Love 2

Supporter+

@Fan of Big Tone👍 My sentiments exactly.

• Like 1

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

Finally a team with a backbone. I doubt it will go through though according to reports pretty much all of the "big 6" clubs all are in favour of keeping it so no doubt they'll bow to that. Also factor in the owners of the clubs, they see the PL as a project rather than a football league so if they have their way, it will remain next season onwards. I really hope though that clubs listen to their fans and realise that VAR needs to be scrapped.

The only downside to scrapping VAR that I can see is that with the situation with Mike Dean not calling a decision to protect his mate could happen more often and be deemed as missed by the naked eye in real time thus meaning human error and it'll be accepted. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Supporter+

Football is a game. Football is not a science,

A Football match has always been controlled by a Referee & assistant Referees using their own senses to make judgements.

Those judgements may not be 100% perfect but that is how the game has always been.

Even with VAR, the VAR officials rely on their own judgement. That's why VAR should be discontinued.

Football is just not the same with VAR.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

Posted (edited)

If you scrap VAR fans (and managers) will still moan about the decisions the refs get wrong, I'd predict they'd be quite lenient for a few months but once the novelty of no VAR has worn off and big decisions go against them they'll want some sort of way of looking at these scenarios...

Every other sport manages to implement some sort of technology without it having a major impact on the flow of the game. I think it just needs to be used a lot more sparingly, some form of VAR-Light! Stop checking goals/fouls for 3 minutes, stop drawing lines for offsides - if you can't tell with the eye just go with the on field decision. Just add a bit of common sense into the whole thing really.

You could even have a system where managers/head coaches get a limited number of challenges like in tennis or cricket for example. VAR should be treated as a fall-back system, not something it seems refs are totally reliant on now. I'd totally understand why you'd scrap it in it's current form but I think getting rid of it creates another set of problems.

Edited by menzinho
  • Like 1