So What's Wrong With Notts?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  17

Well that's the Preseason out of the way and to say the Magpies have been Disappointing would be an understatement. Despite new Defenders being brought in to  add Strength to the Back Line the same Old Mistakes are happening as they Did Last Season.  Poor Results can't all be placed at the Players door . So What's Wrong With Notts?

In My Opinion it's the Game Plan it's as plain as the Nose on your face that the Notts "Model" is all Wrong building up from the Back playing Tippy Tappy Football DOES NOT WORK.  And as it's been suggested by other Concerned  Fans on PON really by playing this type of Football will only Result in Notts being a Mediocre Midtable Team at Best or Relegation back to the National League in the Worse Case. The Excuses of well Notts haven't played at Home, the New Players need time to settle in, Stuart Maynard needs time to sort out his Starting XI all that won't  Wash Anymore. What Excuses are going to be Given when Notts are Struggling? And are caught up in a Season Long Relegation Battle?

Stuart Maynard needs to be Tough and tell any other People who try and Influence his decisions to Go Away This Squad Is His Team and He Will Not Tolerate any Interference from any other Quarters.  But he won't because it's my Belief he's Not Strong Enough to Enforce his Personality at the Club. So where does that leave  Notts Should Stuart Maynard Fail? The Appointment of  a New Coach, A Yes Man who will Play the Notts Way, which has been deemed the correct way to play their Football. Luke Williams may have left the Lane but his influence still lingers, the Magpies still play his way because it was Successful in the National League and for a Time in League 2. But once it was worked out by other Teams in League 2 and how to play against it the whole thing just came Tumbling Down. A New Strategy needs to be adopted, it doesn't have to be Good to Look at as long as it Produces a Match Winning Team.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,479
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

This may be controversial but I wouldn't play Nemane and Jones together in the starting 11.

I would put Jodi supporting Jatta up front and use him as an attacking midfielder. I would have Nemane on the bench,.

I would have Tsaroulla at left wing back & Gordon at right wing back. Those players are much better defensively than Jodi & Aaron.

I think Notts need to be much better defensively, than last season. We were so open on the flanks and Notts just need to tighten up in those areas.

The first priority is keeping clean sheets. For me a 1:0 win is better than a 4:3 win. 

A 5:3:1:1 would work quite well with the nine players we've brought in. If necessary Notts can switch to a flat back four in a 4:3:3 formation or even 4:4:2.depending on who we play.

But it is imperative that Maynard has the freedom to change the style depending on who we play. Playing the same against every side simply does not work at this level.

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

I think the ‘model’ is more flexible and the board are open to making changes. That’s been shown in this season’s recruitment where we’ve added 4 dominate box-defending centre backs and prioritised that over their technical abilities. There isn’t an arrogance to me in the philosophy, but a willingness to adapt, so who knows over time maybe we’ll see more changes too.

I don’t think the style of play needs a drastic overhaul either and we aren’t likely to get one. Stuart Maynard’s football philosophy fits Notts’ current philosophy and that’s a big part to why he was hired. The team has been built with the style in mind and it would be madness to suddenly suggest we play long and bypass all our technical midfield players. The likes of Didzy, Jones, Crowley, Austin & Palmer running around to constantly try and win 50/50s wouldn’t play to their strengths.

I think our style can be and is effective in this league (or any league for that matter!) Stockport, albeit were very well backed play a similar style, MK Dons who are possession based finished 4th and Crawley who were probably the closest to us in style got promoted last season so I’ve no doubt we can also get promoted playing a possession-based style.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Supporter+

The Notts style is very attractive to watch and was very effective going forward but unfortunately we let in nearly as many as we scored.

That simply cannot be allowed to happen this season, so the open style has to change somewhat.

Notts have to become more physical in defence and midfield, otherwise we are going to get bullied to defeat once again.

Notts can still be attractive going forward, but need to be mean in defence.

• Like 2

The Question is will Notts be Mean in Defence looking at the past few Results then the answer is NO. It's all Very Well playing Pretty Football ,but it's No Good looking Attractive going Forward if the Magpies are Going to Get Thumped on a Regular Basis. Notts need to Learn to Win Ugly . Notts play with Style. Well Playing with "Style" hasn't done a Lot of Good Recently, Nor Did It Last Season, from around December Onwards. 

Going into the New Season I Think Stuart Maynard's Job is Very Much on the Line. The Players aren't Responding to his Coaching and Fans Are Rightly Concerned after the dismal Preseason that's just gone. The Performances haven't Installed Confidence in the Notts Fan Base.

Perhaps the Notts Line Up at Tranmere should be 1 1 9. Jatta Up Front Jodi in Midfield while the Rest of the Team stand on the Notts Goal line. That way the Magpies may only Lose 1or 2 Nil. Instead of 3 or 4  Nil.

• Like 2

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

We were told that some of the players that we signed could cope with the physicality of league 2 better than the players we released.

That's the key. We have to have more physicality in defence & defensive midfield or Notts are bound to struggle again.

• Like 1

@Robbie

I Don't think it's the Physicality that's the Problem Just the Gaping holes in the Notts Defence that's left by Playing the Current System, plus the Fact it Seems that Notts Defenders are to sacred to tackle opposition Strikers they prefer to either back off or run along side them. Plus the Fact again the Magpies have No Leader on the Pitch. A Leader doesn't need to be the Club Captain, just a Player who can Grab a Match by the Scruff of the Neck and Make Things Happen.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

I remember Cloughie brought Dave Mackay to Derby and made him Captain, that helped Derby win promotion to the first Division.

Now he was a Captain and a half. 

Then Cloughie found Stuart Pearce when he managed Forest and made him Captain too. 

Two great Captains that could lead and inspire their teammates.

They are the type of Captains you want in your team.

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

To be perfectly honest, this is something more warranted mid-way through the season if it was needed.

We're going off our last campaign and pre-season, all things which we should eventually show improvements in. Our new defence does look a lot better, it's hard to evaluate them fairly when the squad is settling in and getting familiar with the playing style we plan to make.

There's plenty of room to continue playing the way we have, by this I mean quick football that is both exciting and skilful.

Yet it just means we have to take a more pragmatic and robust way in our defending. Do we have to have a large amount of possession? No. Can we hoof the ball if needed? We certainly should under the right circumstances. The players could be more disciplined in making runs/trying to open up the space, instead of waiting for it to happen, but these are all things which I think could happen with time.

• Like 2

Supporter+

I do agree that Notts should hoof the ball either out of the sidelines or up the field when circumstances demand it, instead of trying to play yourself out of trouble. 

I prefer the safety first approach when it's needed.

I do like Notts attractive style however, you have to keep the opposition guessing regarding your style and tactics.

Last season Notts were just too predictable in every match they played, & the opposition just adjusted to that & waited to pounce on the mistakes.

Notts just need to change that scenario this season.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

notts will need time defensively, i am sure most of our training sessions has had the defence in focus so that they can gain an understanding and work well. it is the biggest area from last season that needs improvement.

attacking wise, we just have to make space and to be creative.

we have the quality to do well and hopefully notts can start brightly but it might take time to build a good run of form.

@liampie

The thing is Fella will Notts be given time to build a good run of Form. If the Magpies start off badly then the knives are going to be out for Stuart Maynard, Fans are going to be baying for his Blood and should he be Sacked after a couple of months of the season, then it will mean a New Coach coming in and putting his ideas into action ( as long as he's allowed to). That could Result in another season of Mediocrity down the Lane.

However there is No Point on holding on to a Coach who is out of his Depth in Hope that things will Improve Results Wise.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Problem is @Wheelbarrow repair man if Notts dismissed Maynard for poor Notts performance the powers that be at Notts would just appoint another Maynard, Burchnall clone who would carry on with the same tactics, when it will clearly show we need something different, not the same old.

• Like 1

Very True @Robbie Maybe if Maynard is Sacked then Richard Montague will be given the Job as Head Coach. Because I Believe He is the Mastermind behind the way Notts Now Play, there's been enough hints from the Guy. Then if the Magpies continue to Struggle, he'll Get The Sack. We live in Hope.

• Like 1