Match Discussion: Game 3 - The Mariners (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,269
  • Days Won:  80

Game 3 - The Mariners (H)

Team: Grimsby Town

Date: 22/08/2024

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Love 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,441
  • Days Won:  164
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Looking forward to the game at Meadow Lane on Thursday.

I think the side that finished the game against Fleetwood pick themselves in my opinion.

If fit, Palmer & Robertson have to start in Midfield & Tsaroulla has to start at left wing back.

I would swap Scott for McGoldrick to partner Jatta up front.

If fit after his bruising encounter against Fleetwood, I would allow Jones a free role on either the left, right or centre.

I would keep Macari as right wing back as he did well against Fleetwood.

Notts were quite pedestrian at times against Fleetwood so they need to speed up with movement in midfield & upfront against Grimsby.

Notts need to cut out the sloppy defending & be a bit more clinical in attack. Converting chances into goals is the key.

I'm hoping for that first win of the season on Thursday evening. I think Notts will win 3. A clean sheet would be ven better.

• Like 10

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,900
  • Days Won:  162

i am a bit nervous, because we can hold the ball and move it well but if teams work harder to score goals it looks like it would be us coming back into games. i would hope we could be a bit more creative, maybe go through the middle and times. if space presents itself for a shot from distance, consider having a go? so far, we have had players wait to shoot, where doing so from distance is only going to be blocked or deflected.

notts needs to be a bit braver and creative especially in the first half.

• Like 8
  • Love 5

Supporter+

I've just listened to the pre Grimsby interview by Stuart.The take aways I have from it are?

Notts need to try to eliminate the defensive mistakes that they made during the Fleetwood game. The players will be working towards that end 

Stuart was concerned about the rough treatment that Jodi Jones received in both league games & Matt Palmer in the Fleetwood game. Stuart wanted to see more protection for his players.

Stuart was happy to see the substitutions make a difference to the Fleetwood game and it was becoming clear that the Notts squad is strong with players that can come on who are at the same level as the players going off.

It is clear that Stuart wants to keep Dan Crowley, but every player has his price. We heard that with Macca too, and we all know how that ended. Fingers crossed he isn't sold.

It is clear that former players like Macca might leave, but it is a testament to the club that players like Macca, still want to come visit and cheer their former teammates on.

• Like 5
  • Love 3

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  30
  • Days Won:  0

I would definitely like to see Tsaroulla start, as I thought he was very impressive.  I would like Robertson and Plamer to start in midfield but going by what Maynard had said Previously, I think Palmer will being coming on as sub for a few more games before he starts. 

I would also quite like to see Gordon start, where I am not sure, but maybe as right wingback,  Tsaroulla at left wingback, Platt,  Bedeau and Macari across the back,  with Jones sat between the midfielders and the forwards.  

• Like 11

Supporter+

@Pies79 Gordon will be out injured for another couple of weeks, according to Stuart, so I suspect Macari may still play on the right on Thursday evening.

• Like 4

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,895
  • Days Won:  5

This is a very important game, early in our season. We’ve had two draws so far, and both league performances have been of a good standard. Losing to Grimsby would be disappointing, especially at home. We need to make it harder for teams to score against us at Meadow Lane. Hopefully, this will start to be put right. I think it’s a matter of Notts being much more clinical.

• Like 14

• Joshua featured this topic

Supporter+

Fun fact.

Notts & Grimsby share some interesting stats.

• Like 2

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  567
  • Days Won:  2

I hate local derbies, mostly because Notts never seems to be up for them. If we want to win over fans who are against Stuart Maynard, then this is a must-win game. So far, the errors in my eyes have been down to the players. The changes Maynard has made have been right so far, so like David McGoldrick says, we can only judge him on these games this season. A loss wouldn’t be major, but it would be disappointing. We need those 3 points!

• Like 10
  • Love 3

• Content Count:  3,455
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I am not so concerned, but I do think it's a game that has a draw all over it. I think both us and Grimsby will make the most of the game, it could be a bit topsy-turvy. Provided it's not a game with rash challenges or otherwise heated moments, it's all about managing the game and trying to get shots on target.

Would it make sense to start David McGoldrick up top, and allow Jatta to come on from off the bench?

Notts could greatly benefit from Diddzy's experience to unleash their potential in the opening half. Can we bring some extra height and fresher legs onto the field in the second half? Nick Trousella will ideally be named in the starting 11. Adam Chicksen hasn't contributed much, he has not even taken the chance to start.

• Like 4
  • Love 8

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Grimsby are a decent side. They had an excellent 3-2 home win against Cheltenham. They also beat Bradford on penalties in the EFL Cup after a 1-1 draw. Their only away game was a 1-0 loss at Fleetwood. 

Notts ticked a lot of boxes against Fleetwood and on another day would have scored 4 or 5. A repeat of that performance and most teams will have a very difficult time against us. I expect Notts to take the game to Grimsby and come away with a win. 3-1 I reckon. 

• Like 8
  • Love 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,983
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

The thing I find about Grimsby Town, is they tend to like to be considered the underdogs.

Danny Rose is a player we know can cause issues for defenders, but if we remain tight to him and careful in the manner we challenge for the ball. I do think he would struggle. If he starts is a different question, but they have some very good players.

Jordan Davies showed good form against Cheltenham, scoring a brace. He's on loan from Wrexham for the season. I am sure he will prove to be an important part of their team, as losing him would be a bit of a blow for them. I wonder if Wrexham does have a recall lease? @Dry Nelson Ray - timing might be hard, but I am sure it's obvious where I am going with this. *wink **wink ;) 

I don't rate Grimsby's keeper and I also feel their defence can be a bit ropey. Jordan Wright, much like Jake Eastwood, lacks the experience you would expect from a first team keeper. Those are their two options, both of which have travelled between clubs and always seemed a backup. Eastwood once looked quite promising, but has settled for being a reserve keeper a bit too much IMO. Wright's performance for Alfreton Town was not impressive. He was Lincoln's backup keeper before signing for Grimsby, having come through Forest academy. A bit on the short side, but can be decent on his day.

• Like 6
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,725
  • Days Won:  27

I have a strong dislike for Grimsby Town. I don’t like their fans or their club. They have this unbelievable self-worth, thinking the club is much bigger in their heads than it ever has been. Though this is mostly the loud ones you see, not like the two who featured in the recent opposition view. Still, I would love it if we could comfortably hammer them and keep a clean sheet. A positive win like this could give Notts a lot of encouragement and create that buzz to start a run.

• Like 2
  • Love 8

• Content Count:  140

I am enjoying the coverage by Notts. I watched the Fleetwood game and thought we got caught out just before we could have scored ourselves. The team looks better at handling setbacks, and defensively, it is much improved. I would like Notts to show the same intensity to win the ball back as quickly as possible. Grimsby will come at us, but I am much more confident knowing Alex Bass is in goal and our new defenders are robust enough to do well.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

Grimsby have more reasons to be up for the game. I don’t say this to be negative, but with their start to the season, having won and playing a nearby rival, one they have a history of beating, I am more concerned that we could have a setback.

If Notts can end the first half 0-0, I would be happier knowing that we could make something of the game. If we concede or narrowly lead, then I think it will be quite open. I can see them forcing Notts out of the habit by making us attack the KOP in the first half too.

• Like 2
  • Love 6

• Content Count:  1,090

Notts can only prepare well and focus on what they have learned and the plan for the game. I don’t think we need to worry too much about Grimsby. They are a good League Two team but far from polished. I see them as an upper mid-table team. If we defend well and take our chances, it should be an entertaining game to watch.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  143

I think more credit should go to the owners and Jason Palmer’s continued work on the legacy of his predecessor, Jason Turner. Yet, I think it’s a good read and makes some interesting points. It’s true that things will filter down; having a Premier League club in your city will bring attention to any football.

Notts would do well to continue the family elements we have offered over the years, because one family member could easily turn into a dozen. Rather than five casual fans, you could have five families of new passionate fans.

• Like 7

Supporter+

It's Matchday. CMON U PIES!!

• Like 1

• Content Count:  525
  • Days Won:  1

Come on Notts, let’s start with a win over Grimsby. It would be a good time to get those vital 3 points, which would push the club higher up the table. I think Stuart Maynard is showing good signs. Hopefully, the starting lineup can make it easier without needing changes to bring us back into the game.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  903
  • Days Won:  3

It should be a fairly decent gate again tonight. If Grimsby fans come in good spirit, the attendance should be higher than 10,000. With the home advantage and need for a win, I hope Notts manages to pull it off.

• Like 5

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,131

I hope we don’t see many changes. I think the squad needs to settle, and I honestly wouldn’t make any rotations from the team that started against Fleetwood. Any changes should only be tactical or due to the risk of injury. We can do this!

• Like 4

• Content Count:  277

I think Notts needs to be more mindful when they feel comfortable attacking. We were dominating Fleetwood, and it seemed like a matter of time before Notts took the lead, but Fleetwood showed how good they are as a team. I think Grimsby will be wanting to stop the play as much as they can, so I do think there will be some added minutes. If we can hold them off and protect Alex Bass just a bit more, I think the quality in the team will come through. I think Jodi Jones will be up for this; it would be nice to see him on the score sheet!

• Love 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,983
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Just after five, I'll be setting off with the lads to go meet a mate and his partner. I am looking forward to the game, I will be keeping an eye out on which Grimsby players I think did well.

I am hoping that Notts shows the same level of ball retenion but in a manner that doesn't focus just on one wing. Sometimes the middle opens up nicely, all it needs is for one player to make a good run and whoever had the ball to spot that movement. I am sure it's going to be a good game.

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,771
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I can’t be there tonight so give them an extra cheer for me. I’ll be on radio silence until I can watch the game later tonight on my Virgin box.

• Like 2

Supporter+

The Notts team for tonight.

So Robertson in defensive midfield. Edwards in too. It's Jones on the right,Tsaroulla on the left with Grant supporting Jatta upfront.

• Love 2