Match Discussion: Game 5 - The Owd Reds (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,369
  • Days Won:  161
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

DIDZY!!!

"18 - GOAL! Bedeau supplies McGoldrick in space 20 yards out  & you know the rest"

Notts 1 Accrington 0

• Like 12
  • Love 1

Supporter+

It has certainly been the Didzy show in this first half 

Didzy goes close again.

Notts 1 Accrington 0

Notts lead at half time.

Notts 1 Accrington 0

• Like 4

Supporter+

Back to it.

Notts 1 Accrington 0

Supporter+

Need to stay focussed  at the start of the second half Notts.

Notts 1 Accrington 0

• Like 2

Supporter+

We are creating chances, need to put one of them away.

Notts 1 Accrington 0

Supporter+

DIDZY!!!

David gets his second of the match 

"Patient stuff from the lads in the visitors' penalty area - and it results in McGoldrick's deflected effort finding the net from 20 yards.

Notts 2 Accrington 0

• Like 11
  • Love 1

Supporter+

Substitutions for Notts.

Notts 2 Accrington 0

• Like 2

Supporter+

Substitution for Notts 

Notts 2 Accrington 0

Supporter+

Supporter+

A win for Notts.

Notts 2 Accrington 0

How about that debut from George Abbott? Jacob Bedeau stands out too. 

But the defence solid too. Nothing more to say about Didzy, he's pure class & really enjoying leading the line 

And more importantly, we have a squad to reckon with now.

• Like 13

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  91
  • Days Won:  1

Great team performance today, especially in the first half. Didzy shines again.

The recruitment this summer looks spot on.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

Supporter+

Updated League 2 table.

Screenshot_20240907-174938.png

• Like 7
  • Love 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,962
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

You can see Accrington Stanley are a good team, although I don't think they performed their best. I heard comments from a lot of fans about how poor they were, I don't think they played all that badly. I just feel Notts made the game feel very calm and routine.

I did feel nervous when I saw we were without Jodi Jones and Dan Crowley, as I wondered if we would be weakened by their absence.

I thought the squad stepped up and played well throughout the game. Notts played with a certain level of confidence, it clearly starts from the back and goes forward with how the team plays. Accrington struggled with our quality; it really was a game of two teams that are "good" but we edged it in terms of control and professionalism. The moment Accrington couldn't keep a grip, they started to be very physical and quite dirty.

That isn't an attractive part of their game, but teams do it in. Partly to frustrate, but also because they just want to stop the play and the momentum that Notts built.

It was a great team performance by Notts, where we could have easily scored more. Curtis Edwards perhaps should have taken a punt on goal, instead of trying to assist a teammate. I praise his decision not to be selfish, but the chance was screaming to be hit towards goal and I certainly wouldn't have moaned had the effort been wasted. I'm sure it's a balanced thing, which he thought would be better presenting someone else with the chance.

Defensively, Notts were solid at the back and that gave us a great platform to go forward with our attack. With the absence of players who do make this team click, we never seemed to really miss them on the pitch today. That alone is a very promising sign, which should ease some concerns about the depth of the squad.

Michael Kelly, aka Aiden Stone's brother, was remarkable in goal for Accrington Stanley and gave them some hope. Without his performance, I think we could have easily scored 5, but with his heroics he kept out some very outstanding efforts. Including two double saves, which one of them really should have gone into the back of the net. How about replacing Stone with Kelly? I'm joking, I do like Stone but wished he had the confidence to fight to improve. I think he would honestly do much better with the defenders we now have.

To expand on this:

• Love 17

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

3 points and a clean sheet. Got to be happy with that. 

Accrington are a poor side. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up getting relegated. 

• Like 9

Supporter+

I think the way Notts played made Accrington look a poor side. Alassana,Jodi & Dan are a hard treble act to replace, but the team certainly showed today that replacing them this season, won't be such a big disadvantage as it would have been last season.

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

i thought notts played very well, i think for 90 minutes the performance was very good. considering accrington wanted to slow down the game and tried to play negative football as a means to combat just how well notts played in all areas of the pitch. midfield was just as superb as the defence, i honestly felt calm and like we would not concede today. the players showed their determination and fought hard for a win.

the second was just notts on cruise control and wave after wave of chances. i cant fault that performance, they made me leave feeling a buzz and proud.

pon match report :)

• Like 6
  • Love 7

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  139
  • Days Won:  0

Notts County put on a fantastic performance, securing a well-deserved victory. The team displayed incredible determination and skill throughout the match.

Conor Grant, Alex Bass, Matty Platt, and Jacob Bedeau all played exceptional roles in the win. Their contributions were invaluable to the team's success. David McGoldrick once again showcased his goal-scoring prowess with some truly outstanding finishes. His clinical ability was a key factor in securing the victory.

Overall, it was a brilliant performance from Notts County. The team's hard work and dedication paid off, and they thoroughly deserved the win.

• Like 2
  • Love 10

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Days Won:  54

I think Accrington might be in for a long struggle of a season, the fact we beat them so easily with Crowley, Jodi and Jatta all missing is pretty telling.

It was a very comfortable performance in the end, probably should’ve scored more and that’s really all I can complain about. We just seemed to cruise through that match and maybe better opposition would’ve given us more of a game but it felt like a bit of a training session at times only broken up by an Accrington player flying in late.

I didn’t like the inverted wing-backs much to be honest, I thought both Austin and Tsaroulla were very ineffective, more so in the first half where we struggled at times to really move the ball down both flanks. Tsaroulla was more of a threat second half but I think Accrington had tired by then and the player marking him was on a yellow!

McGoldrick was just in a class of his own in terms of ability again, I only wish we could’ve had him 6 seasons ago! And Hinchy and Abbott did very well too, we ask a lot of our centre mids in this system. We know how key and tricky it is there, but they dealt with the pressure from the Accrington press.

All in all a very impressive start to the season.

• Like 10
  • Love 4

Supporter+

George Abbott trending on X. Looks like his debut game is being noticed.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,962
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

1 hour ago, Robbie said:

I think the way Notts played made Accrington look a poor side. Alassana,Jodi & Dan are a hard treble act to replace, but the team certainly showed today that replacing them this season, won't be such a big disadvantage as it would have been last season.

They clearly do need a striker like Michael from the 'Opposition View' for us noted.

I didn't see the fuss over Shaun Whalley, I thought he played a very average game. I mean, he chased and put effort in, but he just reminded me of some of the poor strikers we have had over the years, he looked more suitable to the Non League.

Dara Costelloe, their number 17 looked useless too.

Maybe it was a day off for Accrington? I do think some of the comments about us being weaker and them so poor is naive thinking that takes away from the performance that our lads gave. They probably have too many underperformers, that are good when the team can lift them but become average when they are outclassed. On a different day, they might have made more of a game of it, but we applied a good level of game management in our approach without really requiring more firepower.

Our team that started, once the first goal went in, was always going to win. They seemed unable to make an attack count, which a striker might help with. Defensively, I thought there were some good signs with their team. As again, I couldn't fail to give Michael Kelly for his ability to prevent us from scoring more. I still do think they are a good team, just not today but poor is how we made them look, not how they are. Obviously their form doesn't help.

• Like 10
  • Love 2

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  381
  • Days Won:  8

Good win and a welcome 3 points, don't think we were as good as some suggest, but that's just my opinion. Think we can certainly improve, and hopefully will. Need to tuck more of these chances away.

• Like 9

Supporter+

• Like 4

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

Thought Notts played well and perhaps the scoreline should have been a bit more in our favour. Thought Accrington were dire; created very little and when they did, shooting was atrocious. Their keeper probably saved them from a thumping.

Abbott played excellently. Has a terrific nack of being in the right position at the right times. Defence were very strong once again today. Mcgoldrick doing what we all know he is capable of. We seem more setup to be able to play to Didzys strengths this season than we did last. 

For the negatives, Scott looked well off the pace when he came on. There was the obvious miss, but also poor touches and decision making during his cameo. If it continues like that, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on loan in the NL come January. Hinchy looks solid but he gets caught a lot, often wants another second on the ball that he doesn't get. 

• Like 5
  • Love 10